IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

On 11/15/2019 at 1:39 PM, JohnSwenson said:

For all of you having problems with droputs and disconnections I think I have figured out what is happening. A little background first: the endpoints most people use get an IP address from a DHCP server on your network (usually in the router). The DHCP server creates a "DHCP lease" which itsends to the endpoint, this contains an IP address and a range of time it is good for. When a music server connects to the endpoint (each protocol does this part differently) the endpoint sends this IP address to the server, which then uses it to talk to the endpoint.

The fun part happens when the lease expires, the endpoint then goes back to the DHCP server and says "renew my lease", in most situations the DHCP server will give it back a new lease with the same IP address it gave it the first time. BUT sometimes the new lease contains a different IP address, this is what causes the problem. The server keeps on sending the audio data to the old address, but the endpoint doesn't get it because it now has a different address. The music data goes into Ye Olde Bit Bucket.

Somehow the music server has to get the new IP address of the endpoint. There are a few ways of doing this:

turn off the endpoint then turn it back on (unplug it, many endpoint's power switch just puts them in low power mode), sometimes this may need to off for 10 to 15 minutes.

Unplug the Ethernet cable for 10 to 15 minutes.

Reboot the music server

This gets the server back talking to the endpoint.

In many instances this is all that is required, from then on the DHCP coninues to renew the lease with the same address it gave out the second time.

For some systems it might take two times for the DHCP server to settle down.

Another option is to make sure the address of the endpoint never changes, there are two ways to do this:

set a static IP address on the endpoint. Not all endpoints allow you to do this.

Set a reserved IP address on your DHCP server, almost all allow you to do this, the endpoint still asks for a lease or renewal, but you reserve a specific address for that specific endpoint, the DHCP server HAS to always use that one.

Most people's system do not have the problem in the first place. For the ones that potentially do have this issue there seems to be some sort of trigger that causes the DHCP server to behave this way, it usually has to do with something "new" in the system. A new endpoint will almost always trigger this. Sometimes the same endpoint but with a different configuration, or a network with a significant change. Simple switches will usually not trigger this, but managed switches (or different configuration of the same switch) being added, or taken out can also trigger this.

So while this seems to happen when you add the EtherREGEN it is probably not anything inherently wrong with the EtherREGEN, but rather that you have significantly changed your network topology that is somehow triggering this behavior in t your DHCP server.

Ether just living with it until the DHCP server settles down or clamping down the IP address of the endpoint should get rid of the issue. If you want to spend time playing with different network configurations, endpoints etc, I would recommend you reserve the IP address of your endpoint so the DHCP server cannot mess you up in the future.

Note: I do not know exactly what the triggers are or exactly how the DHCP server determines when something is "new". And most likely different models behave differently. So please don't ask questions like "will my system have this problem?" "Exactly what do I do if I have it?" "Which router should I buy so it won't happen to me?" I don't know the answers to those questions. Tomorrow I probably will not know the answers either. So please don't ask.

What I know about it is already in this post.

If you do have the problem and you follow the advice above and it does not go away, please post THAT, we will try and get to the bottom of it.

John S.

I had this issue with my DirectStream, first dropout was after 10 minutes, next at 24 hours, at that point I repowered the EtherREGEN and it’s been fine going on a week now. 

rogerdn

5 hours ago, PYP said:

Is anyone having issues with Roon 1.7?  I've had the eR for about a week and yesterday for the first time the music stopped while playing from my library and Roon couldn't find my endpoint (DAC).  Tried a few things, but the only thing that worked was powering the eR off/on.

Had the same issue today.  Same solution.  I can see why those of you with the dropout issues have been so frustrated.  

my setup:  computer/roon > router (isp-provided) > ethernet > eR > ethernet > DAC (roon endpoint).

Had 1.7 for  a day now, ok so far, 

rogerdn