IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

i currently use two Catalyst 2960 PD routers in my system with a similar configuration to what you recommend for the ER. This yields positive SQ benefits compared to just the one. I am about to buy an ER in the UK. In your experience and that of users, would there be any benefit to using two ER switches in my installation in the same way (so that one is also used as the “main switch”)? FWIW the system streams Quobuz to a Roon Nucleus with internal SSD to feed a Naim ND555 streamer/router.

MTIA

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I have been getting very impressive results from two daisychained Etherregens (for anyone reading who’s interested, the difference is much more subtle than other switches, testifying to the design) and will be getting a dual rail Sean Jacobs power supply made for them. Which voltage would you most recommend for performance and/or cooler running?

MTIA

Mike

22 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

Are the two rails completely isolated from each other?

Hi John,

thanks for the amazingly prompt and helpful reply!

As far as I am aware they are isolated and separately regulated. I am assuming the isolation is necessary/desirable, is that correct?

They are custom supplies, so as long as I know what to ask for I can get everything exactly right.

Is there anything else I need to know (in addition to the above and -ve to AC earth)?

Many thanks for your help!

Mike

2 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

This is where it gets complicated, you do NOT want the DC- to be the same for both supplies, this bypasses the moat, giving up much of the goodness of the ER. The connecting the DC- to safety ground should ONLY be done for the most upstream ER. Doing for both again shorts out the moat. Whether you need the safety ground on the upstream ER depends on if there are other things plugged into the A side. If nothing else is plugged in, then don't bother with connecting DC- to safety ground. You CAN but I would not do it if it will cost more or take extra time etc.

John S.

Many thanks, John. Sorry to come straight back (and with three short questions), but whereas my ears work nicely, my brain is another matter.

So, if I understand correctly, I should be asking for a PSU on which the two rails are isolated and floating, is that right?

That’s the configuration of the JS-2, isn’t it?

The first ER is the only thing plugged into the A side of the second ER, so no need to touch the earth, have I understood that correctly?

Thanks so much for the great support.

On 12/28/2019 at 6:46 AM, JohnSwenson said:

This is where it gets complicated, you do NOT want the DC- to be the same for both supplies, this bypasses the moat, giving up much of the goodness of the ER. The connecting the DC- to safety ground should ONLY be done for the most upstream ER. Doing for both again shorts out the moat. Whether you need the safety ground on the upstream ER depends on if there are other things plugged into the A side. If nothing else is plugged in, then don't bother with connecting DC- to safety ground. You CAN but I would not do it if it will cost more or take extra time etc.

Would there be any problem powering both EtherRegens off a single (floating ground) rail?

• 2 months later...

That’s what I have. There is a difference - a bit more relaxed and spacious with very slightly more detail - but it’s minimal. One person I know has found that with a Sean Jacobs LPS the improvement is greater and pretty much removes the difference between having 1 and 2. I have one of his DC3 PSUs on order and will report my findings.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

If anyone thinking about custom LPS build and going to use rail for EtherRegen, then consider below. 

As part of Sean Jacobs LPS build, I have 1 rail powering the EtherRegen.

Sean implemented small switch on the back of your PSU to allow the 0V of the EtherREGEN DC output to either be connected to Earth, or left floating. That will let you easily use it with other devices if desired. 

Which LPS did you get? Has it made a big difference to the ER? I have a DC3 on order.... We discussed the switch several months ago...

37 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

, All rails on all devices make a difference. I suggest if using a DC3 for EtherRegen ask him to put the 0v switch on it. 

I’m not sure what you mean by all rails on all devices. I’ve ordered a 3 rail DC3 which is apparently the max for that case/design. The switch is certainly a good idea for easy comparisons.

1 hour ago, ASRMichael said:

The DC3 is max 3 rails, but Sean will build you custom LPS if need. I have my CPU/ATX/EtherRegen/JCAT Ethernet/Pink Faun USB card running from 1 LPS. 

Wow! Thanks for clarifying. And is that in a DC3 case or a custom larger case?

How does the performance of the ER change when powered by Sean's PSU vs. the stock power supply?

42 minutes ago, bailyhill said:

These units do not come with the power cable, so I am in the market for a couple of reasonably priced HQ power cables.  Anyone try the Shielded ones on Audiogon? 

Not sure how much you want to spend, but I can recommend the Powerblack cables from Sean Jacobs (Custom Hi-Fi Cables). They made a noticeable improvement for the Nucleus and Cisco switch (when I was still using it) and for Naim gear (better than Powerlines in my opinion and for a fraction of the price)

• 3 weeks later...

Suggestion for people daisy-chaining EtherRegens: try it symmetrically, connecting the main network to the B side of the first EtherRegen and your NAS/Nucleus or whatever to the A side, as well as the second EtherRegen, connecting to the A side of the second EtherRegen in the "normal" manner. Reckon it makes a difference? I've only just had the idea and done it, but things are already encouraging so far.

45 minutes ago, Ponkbutler said:

Suggestion for people daisy-chaining EtherRegens: try it symmetrically, connecting the main network to the B side of the first EtherRegen and your NAS/Nucleus or whatever to the A side, as well as the second EtherRegen, connecting to the A side of the second EtherRegen in the "normal" manner. Reckon it makes a difference? I've only just had the idea and done it, but things are already encouraging so far.

Hmmmm! That turns out to have been one of those instantly disposable ideas, at least in my system 😉 Better ->A-B->A-B->

3 hours ago, jjraffin said:

Are you putting devices e.g. NAS, on the first "A" with the main network or the second "A"? Or has there been no difference?

On the first. Daisy chaining like this brings a greater sense of space and ease And ver slightly more texture. It’s not a massive difference from 1 EtherRegen but is very seductive. Turning the 1st EtherRegen around dulled the difference slightly though making cymbals, for example, stand out more. In the end I definitely preferred AB-AB which was more alive. MidnightRambler, who has a SoTM clock and Sean Jacob LPS on his EtherRegen  reports that there is no gain from daisychaining in that setup.

• 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

It would be interesting if 2 or 3 persons that can hear differences between Ethernet cables,  could test Ghent Belden, Supra Cat 8, and Blue Jeans

I haven't tried the Ghent cable, but I have compared the standard stranded copper Belden CatSnake Cat6a that Ghent use against the Blue Jeans cables (Belden solid copper Cat5e, Cat6 and Cat6a) and Supra Cat8 and much prefer it: it has greater bass extension and overall instrumental texture and detail with a broad and deep but natural soundstage.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, FrankMA said:

Hi Alex,

I have been having constant dropouts in Roon since the summer.  I using an Ether Regen>Innuos MKII SE > Innuous Phoenix>Directstream DS.  PSA does not think it is their DAC (Roon concurs).  Roon says it may be fixed in next update but I don't get a good feeling about that. It is basically an unusable product at this point with the constant dropouts.

Could the ER have some role in this?

I'm not Alex (obviously!) but I doubt it. I listen to my Naim ND555 exclusively using Roon from a Roon Nucleus+ via not one but two EtherRegens without problem.