IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

6 minutes ago, Superdad said:

If you wish to use the ground screw (it is not strictly necessary and you may or may not find that of benefit), then either bare wire or a small spade lug will fit fine. It is just a 6-32 screw size (about 3mm), so whatever fits will be good.

I am thinking to connect my TV and Apple TV to EtherRegen. If not: only the room core and my DigiOne signature will be connected to it (and no ground screw needed because nothing attached to interfere). 

Does anybody have an issue with sonictransporter as Roon Core with the ER? It disconnects very often, so I am switching back to my old switch. 

Router and sonictransporter connected on A side, DigiOne Signature on B side. I can access the DigiOne, but the sonictransporter is not available. Firmware needs improvements...

2 hours ago, skatbelt said:

I had the same with Roon Core on a Mac mini (macOS High Sierra) on the A side with a dCS Network Bridge on the B side. The dCS stayed accessible after the Mac mini disappearing from the network. Setting the network speed in macOS manually to 100BaseTX (full duplex) seemed to cure it. It now runs more than a day without problems. I don't know if it is possible to set this variable manually with your sonicTransporter.

ok unfortunately not an option for this within sonictransporter...but your setup is the same as mine meaning that the endpoint was still accessible and the core not. 

I mean: shouldn’t it be usable without adjustment. We are speaking about an unmanaged switch. I don’t want to be hard on them, as I know how hard they work to achieve perfection. I trust @Superdad @JohnSwenson that they will find a solution eventually. Still frustrating...

7 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Linux computers, Windows computers, some NAS, some routers, etc.  

There are commands to turn it off (some easy some hard), but I absolutely do not want to get into having people attempt to fix the issue that way.  Far better for us to take care of it in the switch chip. Networking software support is NOT how I want to spend my days! x-D

will ER force them not to use

EEE or will it comply with the

EEE rules set by other units?

On 11/23/2019 at 3:00 PM, Ehsu said:

2hrs after firmware update. No dropouts so far. But to be honest, my last dropout was 3 days ago so time will tell.

However, I am not sure whether there is any improvements in SQ. Perhaps there is bigger soundstage? Perhaps better separation and imaging? Perhaps bass become a bit bloated for my liking? I thought it is slightly more hifi than music now. I was not tapping my feet as vigorously as before. Perhaps I was just too tired? Perhaps......

Either way, I think the differences are too minor to be 100% certain. I wonder what others ( unlucky or lucky few experienced dropouts ) think about this update?

Perhaps its time for bed 😞 Way past 2am for critical listening!

Now I found it: I think this should be reconsidered by @Superdador watched/tested closely. Best thing would be, if the user could set this particular setting in a very easy to find out what fits best. Either way: should be tested “sound wise” before shipping. 

11 minutes ago, Superdad said:

That is what Eddie meant, but he needs to give it more time.

No, that is not going to be.  We are not making a "tunable" switch!

It has been.  The new firmware code results not only in fixing of the EEE issue, but it improves both transmit and receive performance of the PHYs in the switch for the RJ45 jacks on the 'A'-side.  It is technically AND sonically better. (And the latter I have now personally confirmed--before full public release. 9_9)

Agreed Alex! Interesting that this has a huge impact in B side! 

PS: No weekend for you thou?

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

Who said "huge impact?" Not me. 9_9 But it is better.

Almost never.  And sadly I have spent the near the whole day just replying to e-mail and to the forum.  Have not yet been able to start the blog post, web changes, direct first-batch e-mail and other steps for the public release of the new firmware. No more e-mail for me today.  Plus I am still in my pajamas! :P

Ok maybe I tend to use a fruitful expression 🤪 Pijamas? Me too, it’s Sunday 🤩

On 12/6/2019 at 1:40 AM, Superdad said:

I'm surprised you can even get the 1.1A LPS-1.2 to run an EtherREGEN at 7V.  I can't here.

At 7V the EtherREGEN will draw nearly 1.3A.  Please set your LPS-1.2 to 12V. At that voltage the EtherREGEN will be drawing a little less than 0.8A and you UltraCap supply will be much happier--and a bit cooler, though still warm/hot.

Depends on the number of inputs used. My observation with 12V: ever input on A side adds 0.1A consumption. 0.6A base current + 4 Ethernet x 0.1A = 1A 

Shows that unused ports lead to powered off controllers etc...(or am I wrong?)

With my my old regular switch the current was 0.1A overall and nothing changed this. 

I am powering my ER with my Keces P8 incl. ground wire. The same time the P8 powers the roon core on the A side and the RPI (DigiOne Sig) connected on the B side. The DigiOne digitalboard connected to the RPI is powered by the UC 1.2. 

Are the connected components isolated from each others ground? I asked Keces and they stated, that the outputs are fully floating/isolated from each other and the mains ground. Is that true? @Superdad What is your knowledge on the P8?

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

I think you have previously asked me this. My answer was and still is that I have never tested the Keces P8 and can only go on what the manufacturer states. My suggestion was that you check the outputs with a meter to see if their zero-volt/-VE "grounds" are indeed independent of each other.

Sorry! You are right! I asked that question twice...recognized now. 

aaaaa don’t want to unplug everything to measure, but I will try. 

On 12/11/2019 at 7:18 PM, Superdad said:

I think you have previously asked me this. My answer was and still is that I have never tested the Keces P8 and can only go on what the manufacturer states. My suggestion was that you check the outputs with a meter to see if their zero-volt/-VE "grounds" are indeed independent of each other.

I will purchase an Allo Nirvana SMPS for the RPI in my DigiOne just to be sure and isolate A and B side consequencently. 

The Allo SMPS supports a ground shunt as yours and other tweaks (should sound like a LPS...). This should be fine for my RPI. The spare 5V out from my Keces is then used for my iPad to charge while „always on“ with Roon.