IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

Hello!

First of all I am a very happy ER user, got mine about 2 weeks ago and have been enjoying it my 2 channel audio setup since :)

Until now it has been a very simple setup:

ISP Router -> Switch 1 -> NAS - Switch 2 -> ER-A -> ER-B -> Lumin U1 Mini -> Aesthetix Romulus DAC (USB)

So I had only one Cat6 cable on the A-side, and a single Supra Cat8 to my streamer on the B side.

As I also have a HT system in the same room. I would like to connect my Zappiti Pro video streamer to the ER as well.

I tried it last night, just replaced the Lumin with the Zappiti in the chain and obviously got better audio quality through my 2 channel system, playing stereo BR music through the Aesthetix DAC.

If I understand correctly I shall reverse the direction on the ER if I want to connect both streamers : the upstream from the NAS to the B side, and the 2 streamers to the A side. There should be no difference in audio quality, am I right?

And I am confused about the grounding of the ER and using shielded Cat8 cables on the A side.

The manual does not recommend that, but if my streamers are both the A side I would prefer to keep using the superior Supra cables there. Is there a risk in that, and if there is would the grounding of the ER help?

Thanks,

Zsolt

20 hours ago, kzs70 said:

And I am confused about the grounding of the ER and using shielded Cat8 cables on the A side.

The manual does not recommend that, but if my streamers are both the A side I would prefer to keep using the superior Supra cables there. Is there a risk in that, and if there is would the grounding of the ER help?

I have read the ER manual and the Supra Cat8 cable specification again:

http://www.supracables.co.uk/ethernetcables/cat7-cat8-cable.html

"It is desirable to avoid connection of multiple shield-tied cables into the
RJ45 ports on the ‘A’-side of the EtherREGEN. This has nothing at all to
do with data or signal quality. In fact, this recommendation is not even
specific to the EtherREGEN. Ethernet cables having metal RJ45
shells and end-to-end connected shield wires will unite
the grounds and zero-volt power domains of the
equipment they are attached to. This provides a path for
potentially detrimental AC leakage loops to form. If all you
are attaching with such cables (on the ‘A’ side) are computer, NAS, and
the feed from your main switch or modem/router, the leakage loops
formed between that gear will likely be fairly benign. But if one of those
components is somehow also connected to your audio/video system, you
may introduce undesirable leakage currents.

I believe the Supra is a "shield-tied" cable, so my idea of connecting just one or boths streamers on the A-side using this this cable does not seem to be safe, but connecting the NAS feed is Okay.

Can someone confirm this please?

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I have a question regarding my ER and Roon setput. I have been using the Etherregen for about 3 month now and I am very happy with it.

My current setup is quite typical I think:

IP Modem/Router -> Generic Cat5 cable -> Generic Switch -> Supra Cat8 Cable - > Etherregen A -> Etherregen B -> Supra Cat8 Cable - > Lumin U1 Mini with LPS -> Siltech USB -> Aesthetix DAC

I am using Roon and the core is installed on a Qnap NAS at the moment, connected to the generic Switch before the ER A side.

As my NAS is not powerful enough for the Roon I plan to build a dedicated PC for the Core.

The question: if this planned PC will be connected to the Switch before the ER-A, same as my NAS now, would it make any difference if it was an optimized "Audiophile" fanless PC with an LPS?

Or as it is "isolated" with the ER from my Lumin streamer it should not make too much difference whether is it's a silent or normal PC?

Thanks,

Zsolt

2 hours ago, Flashman said:

I am biased toward devices that eliminate as much noise or electrical disturbances as possible, especially when in close proximity to your other audio gear.  Thus, I purchased a Nucleus for my Roon Core.  By extension, if I were you, I would go for a fanless PC approach.  Further, an LPS would probably give you some gains.  My Nucleus is powered from a Keces P8 LPS, which also powers my eR and a Sonore opticalModule.

Thanks for your advice, I am considering a Streacom FC10 fanless case with SSD's and an LPS.

I wonder would it give any benefit connecting it directly to the ER A-side?

In that case I would have to put it in the listening room, so fanless would be a must...

2 hours ago, mourip said:

I am using a similar FC5 fanless case with internal SSDs and an HDPlex LPS for my Roon server. It has two DC inputs: 19v for the internal HDPlex converter and 5v to power the two SSDs: OS and music. The server is connected to my ER "B" side with a very short ethernet cable and then via the ER "A" side to a NUC. I also have one LAN cable connected to the "B" side and two video connections also.

Thanks for the recommendation, I am planning a very similar server to yours.

Do you use the 200W or the 400W HDPlex DC converter? If the SSD's are powered separetly the 200W might be enough for the rest?

And do you use the NUC or the servers as the Roond endpoint, or something else?

I connect my Lumin streamer (Roon endpoint) to the B side and everything else to the A, so the Roon server would be on the A side as well.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I just got a Lumin X1 to test it in my system for this weekend.

Those who have or had the X1 and the ER together, which way did you connect them for the best result?

My setup now:

Modem -> Cat cable -> Sonore OM -> Fiber cable -> ER A side -> Supra Cat8 -> Lumin U1 Mini -> USB DAC....

Thanks!

On 6/27/2020 at 4:50 PM, further said:

Kzs70,

I run copper from my modem -- switch -- etherRegen B side -- fiber out from A side -- Lumin X1 -- active analog crossover -- amps. 

Thanks, I will try this configuration too, just have to buy a new pair of sfp transceivers.

Which brand/model SFP do you have in your system?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have tried some new configurations with my network but they do not work for some reason, and I can’t figure it out why.

I have a new Lumin X1 and I would like use its SFP port. But I did not want to reverse the ER before the Lumin as I plan to connect other devices to the ER A side as well, like a Roon core NUC and a video media player too. I have read in the manual that in case of feeding the ER from the B side there should not be anything else on the A side just the Endpoint/DAC, in my case the Lumin X1. So I have tried some other configurations:

1. ER is A->B

Ethernet network ->TP-Link Media converter to Fibre -> SFP on ER A side -> ER B side -> Cat8 to Sonore OM -> Fibre to Lumin X1

This does not work, unless I connect the OM Ethernet to the ER A side as well, and nothing connected to the B side.

2. ER is reversed (B->A)

Ethernet network ->TP-Link Media converter to Fibre -> SFP on Sonore OM -> Cat8 to ER B side -> ER A side -> Fibre to Lumin X1

This does not work neither, unless I connect the OM Ethernet to the ER A side as well, same like above.

I have 2 different pairs of SFP transceiver modules, but I always connect the same types with each other, they both work. The “problem” only occurs when both OM and ER are in the chain and something is connected to the B-side...

11 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

The reason is that opticalModule won’t work with 100Mhz. You can search this tread or the OM tread. I think it has been asked several times. (I’m not 100 % I’m correct, so search). Also check sonore site. 

Thanks, I have found it, the OM seems to be only 1Gbit compatible, so does not work with ER's 100Mbit port on the B side...