IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

Advice please, with the JS2 I'm powering a Legacy Wavelet preamp and the ER. I have Optical in and B side copper to a Bricasti M1SE. I also have copper from the A side to the Wavelet (via USB>EN adaptor) for the GUI interface. Is it better to isolate the Wavelet GUI to a separate ethernet jack or no problem ( I have a wall jack in proximity) ?

Congrats on the successful launch and best of the season!

9 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

We need to work on that first before worrying about Ethernet connections.

Thanks, I've plugged the Wavelet Ethernet into a wall jack. I had the Cisco 2960L-8TS-LL fed by fibre before, so I just swapped it out With ER. There wasn't any issues, everything worked fine from the get go, maybe a bit better now.

Minor request for nice next gen; some kind of wall mount tie downs/keyholes. Would give options for discrete mounting. I've kind of hacked mine on the wall with 3 zip ties attached to the Cisco mounting screws. It's behind a sound absorber so no one see it. Hope the zip ties handle the heat till I figure a more elegant solution.

It's not clear If it's ok sitting ER beside my End Point/DAC with a 12" copper patch cable or do we still need some separation, ie. 3ft or more?

TIA!

I moved my ER next to my Bricasti M1SE and then went digging deep for some short patch cables I though I had. Couldn't find the short patch cables, but I found a 3ft BJ Cat6 w JSSG360. This is pretty heavy and too long for my purpose, but fine for now. So I was thinking about getting something like a custom Ghent. This kind of begs the question - is there too short a cable or just enough to sit the ER directly behind the Bricasti, like 3 inches?

However, the thought of an Uptone ERPCB dongle makes me wonder - hard pin the two together and balance ER on a small roller bearing.... Does this make any sense or stick with the shortest cable possible (think 6" is easy to come by)

• 3 weeks later...

@bailyhill With your current combo, and especially after adding a 2nd ER, optical should be redundant. But if you want to chase that rabbit (like so many of us), you can get in for less than $30.

2 of these https://www.fs.com/products/11774.html

pick a cable https://www.fs.com/c/os2-9-125-single-mode-duplex-897?lc-lc=15&upc-upc=16

A more expensive option with some hi end audio early adopters is to use these transceivers, same cable or a better Corning ClearCurve single mode duplex cable with LC to LC connectors

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0747WZ8LZ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Good luck!

I may have spoken too soon. I tried hooking up my Cisco 2960L optical direct to the ER optical and no connection. The Cisco is also connected to ROCK & Main Switch with separate copper cables. Not sure if I need to set something up in the cpanel. I'll RTFM later. My goal is to feed the Cisco with optical from Main Switch, then send optical direct from Cisco to ER. I need another transceiver to make a 2nd optical connection between the Cisco & the Main Switch. I have an older model Cisco 2960 with single SFP port I can test as well. More to follow...

The Cisco previously received the optical signal from my Main Switch, then copper to DAC without issue - plug and play. The ER inserted into this spot - plug and play. Thus, the Cisco kids are redundant unless I can find them a higher purpose.

Can 2 ER's support a direct optical connection or is that a function of the transceiver?

The Cisco 2960's cannot make direct optical connection to the ER. The SFP slots are for Uplink to the network. I tested both 2960-8TC-L V.3 and 2960-8TS-LL.

So the Server can be isolated on the Cisco and optically linked to an upstream switch/router. The ER can either connect to the up stream switch optically or copper direct to Cisco. There's lots of combinations available for testing, just not on New Years eve.

Happy New Years everyone!

Thanks, I'll keep playing with the Ciscos. I have no problem with them receiving optical. SFP's and cable is the same for the tests and has been functioning fine in my system for months.

I didn't see anything in the docs re enabling SFP options, it's supposed to be automatic. I would say the information online regarding uplink ports isn't clear and leads me to believe there is a difference between an uplink and regular/normal port.

On 12/31/2019 at 5:22 PM, bailyhill said:

Can you explain what you mean by the SFP slots are for uplink to the network?  Not challenging this, just wanting to learn what this means.  I guess I will have to try the 2 Er's and maybe the OM?  

I'm not sure I have enough expertise to answer for certain, and would rather defer to those who've already had success. Uplink basically means it links to an upstream router or switch leaving the other ports for use. What doesn't make sense to me is the older 2960's have a combo port (RJ45 & SFP) and the docs don't refer to it as an uplink port, the newer version does. So it must be me. I'm waiting for a couple new transceivers, so hopefully this automagically works. If it doesn't, I'm feeding ER with optical from the main switch anyway, I'm not sure there's enough upside in my system to chase this. 

Here's a Cisco link referring to Uplink vs Normal ports https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/uplink-ports-vs-normal-ports/td-p/1781011