IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

Excited to receive my ER yesterday and plugged to replace my "audiophile" switch as attached.  I am using power adapter comes with the ER.

1. I connected router>A, B>Aurender>mutec mc3>DAC; my Aurender conductor app cannot find my Aurender.

2. I connected both router and Aurender > A; my Aurender plays and SQ improves (music stores in the streamer HDD), but I found my NAS music no longer available.

3. I went to my PC and rebuilt the connection between Aurender and NAS music folder.  and at the same time,

4. Try unplug everything in the steamer loop and reconnect again as 1.  it works! and then plays for few songs: NAS music ok > Qobuz ok > NAS music ok > Tidal HiFi ......silent?? but the app showed it was playing without any sound, then I press "pause", the music pops up and then paused, then I press "previous" try to replay, it plays normally again, Tidal HiFi.

5. continue to 4, I tried to add more songs to the playlist while Aurender got disconnected suddenly,  I took a closer look to the Aurender front panel, it read "No IP" as shown in attached.

6. I switched Aurender off and on again, initially it still show no IP but finally got an IP address after 20 or 30 secs.  Then music play ok.

I am glad to hear that you are developing new firmware and hopefully it also could solve my issue described above too.

Thanks.

ether-regen q diagram.jpg

aurender no ip.jpg

• 2 months later...

I m sorry to report that I ran into another issue on using ER.

All my previous issue regarding audio drop out have been resolved by the firmware update. 

my current setup is connecting my network on A side and DAC connected player on the B side. And the SQ is great!

However in my case the ER is replacing my previous so-called audio grade switch and there’s another Blu-ray player used for video streaming. Therefore after using ER the Blu-ray was connected to A side as well, and my video started to experience frame dropping, usually quite a few times during the whole movie and it’s really annoying. At the beginning I thought it might be my blu-ray problem since it’s kinda old and I even started to look for a replacement. 
however, after same dropping frame issue happened today I decided to try my old 100 base T switch again to get my wife’s permission on buying a new Blu-ray.....  And you guess right , everything became smooth and perfect. I tried 5-6 movies and high definition documentaries and not a single frame dropped. 

does anyone have experienced similar issue and what’d be your suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance for your help!

On 1/27/2020 at 9:19 AM, Superdad said:

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. Puzzling since the 'A' ports of the EtherREGEN are Gigabit--so much greater throughput than your 100Mbps switch. 

What color LEDs do you see above the EtherREGEN 'A' port where you have the Blu-ray player plugged into? 

Can you submit a diagram of your network?  Because I guess I am confused about where the video stream is coming from or going to.  Are you playing Blu-ray discs or are you using your Blu-ray player as a video processor to stream from video files on network storage?  If so then what is that storage and where is it connected to?  Also, what is the file format? Full uncompressed 4K video will have a tough time moving smoothly through 100Mbps connections--especially if it has to go through several switches.

Thanks very much Alex for your prompt response as always! and sorry for the confusion.  You are correct that it is a OPPO Blu-ray player but I use it most of the time being a video streamer.  (I do have 4K content but I only played 1080p HD so far since my TV display not supporting 4K).

for the LED color, it is Green blinking LED I observed above the EtherREGEN 'A' port where I have the Blu-ray player plugged into.  the another port which I have plugged my network from wall socket is Amber/Yellow blinking.

I posted my audio system network below for your reference and thanks again for your help.

AV SYSTEM NETWORK SETUP.jpg

11 hours ago, Nicoben45 said:

You can let your old switch stay in place just before the EtherRegen and connect the Blue Ray to this switch (then the old switch to the A side of the EtherRegen with an unshielded ethernet cable). With this kind of choice you will probably have better SQ with the use of a linear power supply with this old switch (for the network health AND for the audio gears connected to the same power line).

Thanks very much for your suggestion but unfortunately my current setup only allow me to have one extra power for the switch therefore I have to choose either one.

On 1/28/2020 at 12:52 AM, JohnSwenson said:

Hmm,

so the connection to the line through the wall is gigabit and the connection to the Blu-Ray player is 100Mb. But when you have the 100Mb switch instead of the ER, the connection through the wall is 100Mb, One thing to try is put the 100Mb switch on the left side of the diagram feeding the wire to the wall. That way the switch on the left of the diagram sees a 100Mb connection not a gigabit connection. I have seen a situation where this mattered, causing lots of dropouts just like you are seeing. I don't remember the exact details, but the audio protocol wound up behaving differently depending on the connection speed, if both ends were not the same it didn't work right.

John S.

Dear John

Thanks for your suggestions.  Actually I have done 2 tests today:

1. old 100Mb switch to replace my main switch on "left", other same as my diagram posted on #650.  Then connect back ER to my audio streamer (B) and right wall LAN port (A) and Blu-Ray (A)

Result: dropping frame issue happened for Blu-Ray. Audio streamer fine without issue.

2. I didn't mentioned I have 2 connections connecting "left" and "right" because the other connection actually is not for AV but anther WiFi router for WiFi coverage extension (Apple Airport WiFi bridge function).  As shown in below diagram highlighted in light blue, I skipped my 100Mb "audiophile" switch and connect blu-ray directly to my WiFi Router#2 LAN port.  Then connect back ER to my audio streamer (B) and right wall LAN port (A) 

Result: no dropping frame for Blu-Ray. Audio streamer using ER also fine.

Hope the above result could help the diagnosis and Thanks again for your help.

AV SYSTEM NETWORK SETUP #2.jpg

• 4 months later...

Recently my house experienced an electricity outage, after that, the ER starts dropping connection.

IP address can be detected but when playing songs it pauses very frequently.  I tried below but no luck:

1. restart ER by reconnecting power

2. reconnecting both A side and B side Ethernet cable

Any suggestion on what should I try further? shall I try updating firmware again? (mine is first batch and have been DIY updated firmware before)

On 6/10/2020 at 10:58 PM, Superdad said:

Hi Willy:

The problem is most likely not with the EtherREGEN itself, but something else in your system. 

Can you post a diagram or list of your gear and network?

And have you fully powered off and on every component in your system—including networking gear upstream?

You certainly do not need to reflash the EtherREGEN’s firmware. 

Let us know what you discover. 

Goodnight,

—Alex C.

Thanks Alex and sorry for the email confusion.  My simple setup diagram as below.

To conclude the situation now: it works again!

1. after the electricity outage on Sunday, I switched off all the gear including ER

2. when the electricity is up again later the same day, switching on all gears as usual then streamer start dropping music when play (network setup as BLUE in diagram)

3. switching off streamer and ER, unplug all A and B port Ethernet cable, re-plug Ethernet and switching on streamer and ER again, music still drops 

4. Try #3 again on Monday, issue still exist.  Therefore start bypassing ER as shown in the diagram in "RED", music play perfectly. 

5. after seen your post, reconnect the Ethernet cables again as "BLUE", just like 3, music plays normal and perfect again.

Therefore, I doubted if there is any tricky SEQUENCE or WARM UP/COOL DOWN TIMING for this kind of reboot?  this is strange to me although it works again after all.

Thanks!

ER issue.jpg

My ER used to have disconnecting issue but has been resolved and worked perfectly for over a year until yesterday after I added a BG7TBL.

I followed the steps on last page of user guide "The sequence to utilize an external reference clock with the EtherREGEN" while adding the BG7TBL.  But it failed:

1. The port light (A side) of the LAN cable from my router don't even light on anymore.  (neither my router side, the port light on router also off, meaning no signal?)  The port light of the streamer still blinks but of course with NO IP.

2. I tried unplugging power of ER for 10-15 mins, tried connect streamer to "A" instead of "B", still no luck.

Can anyone help?  Thanks!!

BTW, I tried plugging the LAN cable mentioned in 1 directly to my streamer and it works which means my router is working fine.

But the worst, I tried to switch back to INT clock on the ER, the issue still resume. 😭

21 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

After move the clock switch, you must pull the power plug of the EtherRegen, and back in. 

Sounds you got a bad BG7TBL ?

I don't think my BG7TBL is bad since I can clearly hear the difference when it connected to my Mutec MC3+USB (I used the Mutec to reclock then to my DAC) using the same streamer.

13 hours ago, Mihaylov said:

Using the BG7TBL as an external clock for both the ER and Mutec is not the best solution so the galvanic isolation of the ER from Mutec is disrupted. This is due to the fact that all BG7TBL outputs share a common ground. It is better to purchase another BG7TBL or similar and one output is enough.

Thanks comment.  Do you mean if I only use the BG7TBL on ER in this case should solve the issue?

On 7/23/2022 at 4:54 PM, R1200CL said:

That’s not what he’s saying. It won’t solve your network issues. First make the EtherRegen work without the external clock. Then attach the clock. Only use the clock on EtherRegen. For reason explained by @Mihaylov 

Also how are you powering you clock ? It shall not share PS with other items. Or at least not with equipment downstream the EtherRegen. 

What switch are you using ?

Are you able to test with a cable direct from the switch to EtherRegen?

(assuming that wall has a connection). 
Can you also test connection direct from router to EtherRegen (bypassing the switch). 

1. the clock is powered by a 12V LPS, and yes this LPS only serve this clock which mean ER has another one.

2. my switch: UniFi Switch Enterprise 8 PoE

3. Not yet tested from router/switch directly to ER, only tested from wall (yes my wall has a connection) directly to streamer (bypassing ER).

On 7/23/2022 at 4:54 PM, R1200CL said:

That’s not what he’s saying. It won’t solve your network issues. First make the EtherRegen work without the external clock. Then attach the clock. Only use the clock on EtherRegen. For reason explained by @Mihaylov 

I hope so too, but at the moment after switching back to INT clock on the ER, the issue still exist. 

Tried to connect the ER directly to my switch and it works.  so what could this be happaned and what can I do now?

1. before adding the BG7TBL, I have been using this wall connection method with ER for over a year without any connection issue.

2. even though I reset ER to INT clock now, I cannot get the wall connection method in #1 work again.

3. for everyday use, I cannot bypass the wall connection and run a direct connection from my switch.

4. my wall connection still works fine with directly connect to my streamer, TV, set top box.  

5. borrowed from my friend a TP-link switch and it works with my wall connection.  very strange or is ER so sensitive?

6. @Superdaddear Alex, do you think my ER has faults in this case?

On 7/26/2022 at 1:37 AM, Superdad said:

Hi:

I am sorry, but despite having read all your posts (and viewing your diagram) I am still confused about what the trouble is that you are experiencing and reporting.

I very much doubt that there is any defect in your EtherREGEN (such is extremely rare)--and generally the model either works fully or fails to work entirely (say from a blown voltage regulator). Though if you contact me directly with name so I can date your order, there is a chance that you will benefit from a newer firmware (not the one on the web site).

If you suspect a functional problem with your EtherREGEN, please test it just as a switch, separate from your audio system. And also try different Ethernet cables (#1 cause of people's issues).

To test your EtherREGEN just as a switch—without your streamer—follow these steps in order:
1) Be sure that the Clock switch of the EtherREGEN is in the INT position.
2) Remove power from the EtherREGEN and using the UpTone-branded 36W AC>DC adapter reapply power to it.
3) Attach network feed into an ‘A’ side port. You should see an amber LED flickering over that port. 
4) Attach a (powered on) standard computer with display screen into ‘B’ side.  Wait a moment and you should see the green LED flickering.
5) Launch a web browser and try to browse internet with that computer. Run that for a while and report if there is interruption of internet.

Report all results (including if the LEDs look different than above).
If you are unable to get on the internet with your computer attached to the ‘B’ port, try moving the computer to one of the ‘A’ side ports—alongside your network feed.  Again report results.
EtherREGEN is an unmanaged switch and should just work. If you can not get computer onto the internet through the EtherREGEN, then please try different LAN cables—both to the EtherREGEN from router and to computer from EtherREGEN.

If you can get on the internet through the above tests, then we can move on to other difficulties.

We look forward to knowing the results of your testing and to assisting you further.
--Alex C.

Thanks Alex for the firmware and please excuse my late report:

1. Firmware successfully updated, thanks again.

2. Tried to test ER with streamer first: After connecting the new firmwared (INT position and powered by UpTone-branded 36W AC>DC adapter) ER to the wall connection (link to a PoE switch in anther room) by a LAN cable into an "A" side port, no light over that port. connect with a computer into either "A" or "B", no IP and internet. Thus identified as not functioning properly.

3. follow your above steps to set EtherREGEN just as a switch—without streamer.  connecting to my PoE switch (mentioned in no.2) directly with a LAN cable, feed into an ‘A’ side port, an amber LED flickering over that port.  IP and internet using a computer for testing, OK.

4. now, people including myself may think: my wall connection must be broken /defects

5. Then, I try the very same wall connection LAN cable (no.2) to directly connect to my streamer, TV, set top box.  all test OK and streaming smoothly.

end of report.  and thanks again for your help.

7 hours ago, Superdad said:

I am confused: What is the difference between 2. and 3. above?  When you plug a LAN cable from your network into an 'A' side port, do you get any amber LED activity above that port or not?

Sorry for the confusion, please refer to my diagram attached, hope it helps.

for the amber LED question: 

2. NO

3. YES

senarios.jpg

3 hours ago, GryphonGuy said:

It sounds like the streamer has some sort of issue since your computer works as normal through the ER as reported in step 3.

Did you restart the streamer electrically (Power down then power up) after you plugged it into the  ER side "A"? It may not be dynamically handshaking to the new switch connection for some reason.

Thanks GryphonGuy (I also use Gryphon!)

I doubted it is streamer issue.  The streamer works in step 5 which exactly same as 2 (just without ER).  And I beleive it will still work in step 3.

Yes, I restarted the streamer for so many times including by power switch and by pulling out the power cable.

4 hours ago, GryphonGuy said:
  • The cable from switch to wall socket A

yes, it is the same cable used to test in scenario 3 (from switch to ER)... so the cable is OK

• The cable from wall socket B to the ER

yes, this is the same cable used to test in 5 (from socket B to streamer)... so the cable is OK

• The wall socket A itself
  • The wall socket B itself; or
  • the cable in the wall connecting Socket A to B.

yes, I really want to test these too, but I don't know how.  any suggestion?

On 7/23/2022 at 3:31 AM, Mihaylov said:

Using the BG7TBL as an external clock for both the ER and Mutec is not the best solution so the galvanic isolation of the ER from Mutec is disrupted. This is due to the fact that all BG7TBL outputs share a common ground. It is better to purchase another BG7TBL or similar and one output is enough.

Just curious about the clock thing, it just too technical for me😅 (or maybe there any recommended thread I can read to understanding better?)

May I ask for the 2 cases below, what would be better/correct?  

1. go for 2 BG7TBL, 1 for ER and 1 for Mutec (CLK IN).

2. BG7TBL to Mutec, let Mutec reclock, then CLK out to ER