IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

5 hours ago, Superdad said:

That's great!  

And yes, everyone reports hearing quite a bit of further improvement over the first 30 hours or so. Some of that is clock warm-up/stability, some may be other things, and some is undoubtedly the ear/brain getting used to and discovering all of what the EtherREGEN reveals. :D

I have the same problem as dctom  but can’t seem to fix it. I have router to EtherREGEN a side and Ethernet out of b side to an optical module to an optical Rendu. Roon can’t find the Rendu endpoint . If I move the cable from the b side to the a side it does work. I powered on and off several times and clock is internal position. Any thoughts for next steps? Thanks 

On 11/12/2019 at 9:17 PM, Superdad said:

@Nenon is correct. The copper port of the opticalModule is Gigabit only, while the 'B'-side port of the EtherREGEN is 100Mbps only.  That is why your connection setup is not working.

It will always be best to have the EtherREGEN as the last device--directly connected to your DAC-attached computer/streamer/renderer endpoint.  So for opticalRendu users this means running the EtherREGEN B>A, with its 'A'-side SFP/optical directly connected to your opticalRendu.  

As mentioned elsewhere, the main reason we went to the trouble and expense of making the reclocking symmetrical on both sides of the moat was so that users with optical endpoints could "turn it around" and still get top performance.

I have been away since originally installing the EtherRegen so tried again after reading replies. Yes, it does work after reversing inputs, removing optical module, connecting optical renduSE to A side optical port. I’m disappointed since after following the development discussion of EtherRegen from beginning nothing was ever mentioned about compatibility with optical module although plenty of talk about 100Mbps and gigabit. And now I’m still confused about what else I can plug into a ports since previously it was mentioned not to plug anything else into A ports if used this way. Audio vs non audio? Not sure what this means. Please understand your customers range from electrical engineering experts to users like myself just trying to get the best sq I can from my audio system.

• 2 weeks later...

I just completed firmware update and everything seems to work fine. FYI, I didn’t realize I had an issue with EtherRegen but now I realize I did. I use a sonictransporter for Roon Core. When I plugged sonictransporter Ethernet cable into sonictransporter, Roon could not find Core. So I got it to work by plugging sonictransporter into Ethernet port on router. Now, after firmware update, I can plug sonictransporter Ethernet directly into EtherRegen. However, now I have copper Ethernet from router going to EtherRegen B port so I can use optical from A side to my optical renduSE. So I have two inputs into A side ( optical to rendu and copper to sonictransporter. I’m still a bit confused on how to use A ports in this configuration. Would I be better off plugging sonictransporter back into router so I leave A ports empty except for optical?

3 hours ago, Bricki said:

If you are feeding your optical rendu from the SFP on the A side then you do not want to have any other devices connected on the A side because the other devices clock phase noise will contaminate the ground on the A side.... You should connect your SonicTransporter to your router... You want everything else on the B side of the moat 👍

I know that this guidance has been mentioned in previous posts but then more recent posting say it’s ok to use other A ports. That’s why I’m still not sure.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, spotforscott said:

Hi Alex,

- Made sure "INT" was toggled on before powering up

- On the B side, copper ethernet connect to Linear Solution DS-1.

- When I connect the router to the B side of the ER, I get both green blinking and yellow blinking light. These same lights are visible on the A side with the connection to the DS-1, so all is good with that. Only other connection on the A side is from SonicOribiter server and for that connection, all I see is yellow blinking lights

- When I connect the router to the A side of the ER, I do not see any green blinking lights on either the A or B side

- So for some reason, teh ER is not able to connect to the router on the B side

Thiughts?

I had this problem but was fixed with the software update. 

• 4 months later...

I currently have this set up:

cable modem with one Ethernet output

ethernet from modem to Orbi router 

ethernet from Orbi router to Cisco switch 

ethernet from switch to EtherRegen A side

ethernet from EtherRegen B side to Dac

is there a benefit to, rather than feed The EtherRegen from the switch, to run another Ethernet cable from an open port on the Orbi router directly to EtherRegen?