IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

b) When I first installed my EtherREGEN beta unit I had also been running HQ Player Embedded on the Roon server machine, and at the time that AL server had been set to 100Mbps instead of Gigabit. I freaked out because I was getting lots of dropouts at the beginning of tracks—and sometimes throughout (my music files are not on the server, they are on some shared drives elsewhere on the network). As soon as we set the server to Gigabit the problem went away.

14 minutes ago, Nenon said:

Out of curiosity - why switching the NIC on the sender from 100 Mbps to 1 Gbps fixed the drop out issues if the receiver is running at 100 Mbps. I might get it after another cup of coffee too, but at this point I can't get the logic why:

- when the sender and receiver are running at 100 Mbps (i.e. 100 Mbps --> 100 Mbps) you had issues; but

- when you had server @ 1 Gbps --> receiver @ 100 Mbps the issues stopped...

Unless of course your server negotiated at 100 Mbps half duplex somehow.

I'm planning PC > Cisco switch > EtherREGEN > DAC. Surely the EtherREGEN won't baulk at 100 Mbps input? I've made custom cables, shelves, etc, etc ...

• 2 weeks later...

Firmware updated successfully.

I must love my EtherREGEN 'cos I could have done it in a few minutes, but took much longer so that I didn't make any silly mistakes like dropping my screwdriver on her naked inners.

(Someone once told me that you can change how neurotic you are about a treasured new guitar by dropping a bunch of keys on it. Well - I didn't try that with my EtherREGEN.)

There's a delicious smell inside her. Like burning wood in the open when you're young. Or the whiff of antique furniture emanating from my Snell Type A IIIs when I walk into my listening room. Some foods are like that. Champagne foods I call them. Like Prosciutto and Dolcelatte. OK not Prosciutto any more as I've gone pescetarian to support the wife. But you know what I mean. The smell inside the EtherREGEN is probably just some factory fabrication odour - but to me it's one of life's little pleasures.

Anyway - before I digress too far - I just want to confirm without any hesitation whatsoever that I obtained an immediate and unmistakeable (I say very significant) uptick in SQ. Space around instruments. Focus. Depth. Detail. Know the individual members of the band better. Whatever.

More congratulations to Alex and John. I truly hope they are getting some kicks out of their achievement alongside what must be an inevitable strain.

And I truly hope, with a collegiate heart, that some sweet day the sceptics come to confess the audiophile credentials of this device.

20191127_113123_HDR.jpg

• 3 months later...
19 hours ago, mourip said:

Any recommendations for the best voltage for the ER? I ran it first off the supplied PS and and then off an LPS. Runs quite hot. Hotter than my server. At 12v it must be dumping a lot of heat from the regulators? Better at 9v? Also any thoughts about what sounded best?

I'm sure I read a recommendation of 12V. I've only used the supplied PS so far. I haven't noticed any heat problems to write home about. I have an SR7 on order and plan to use the 12V rail for the eR, but may change to CPU if no SQ delta (which may be difficult to gauge because of simultaneous changes).

I've been waiting for the eR "hat" competition to start!

20200110_155502_Burst01.jpg

20200111_123519.jpg

20200129_150525.jpg

7 hours ago, Johnnydev said:

why do you do this when the designer says it's not necessary

When you say "do this" I presume you mean "use a heatsink"?

There's been a fair amount of discussion about this across the various Uptone threads since eR launch.

@Superdadsays not to worry about the heat. Sure - I accept that fully. IIRC Alex and John did a bunch of testing and tried alternative heat-release design options, being satisfied in the end with what we have as the final product.

There are moot arguments in favour of using a heatsink - I mean the thing is a little hot-running anyway - plus there is an argument about longevity if the unit runs cooler. Maybe other considerations in favour.

A heatsink can't do any harm for a slightly hot-running small box.

So it's not such a controversial thing.

You could ask others. I have no axe to grind. I'm just another happy eR owner/user.

Edit: Oh - plus I want to win the eR "hat" competition. 🤩

Edit #2 - I notice on the "Cable & Power" thread you report:

On 2/14/2020 at 2:31 AM, Johnnydev said:

Since a week i running a Sbooster MKII 12V on the ER with better result.
Even better with a Audioquest Monsoon 1mtr powercable.💪

It's the same thing. Alex says the SMPS is fine. No need for a LPS.

Same with grounding. Alex says no need. I find it helps. But I had to experiment.

38 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

Re: the two heatsink picture posters: those fixation brackets may not be a wise choice in the context of vibration damping...

ty

In my case, the eR is on a small shelf, fixed in a particular way to a block, in turn fixed in a particular way to the wall - where admittedly there is a vibration risk from my large Snell Type A III. For me the trade off is with controlling very heavy and stiff cables such that I have *nil* torque on the eR. My brackets have felt cushions adjacent to the eR. Damped clamping helps with vibration? Probably a two-edged sword.

1 hour ago, mourip said:

Burn-In...

Yes. Do not underestimate burn-in with the ER. I left music running via Roon for the last three days continuously.

On day one I was unprepared for the harshness it introduced. It triggered a relapse of my Audiophilia Nervosa.

On day two I could see potential. ~24 hours

On day three I was thrilled. Audiophilia Nervosa back in remission. ~50 hours.

Music is still playing non-stop to DAC without pre and amp on...

I have the B side going to my NUC with Bluejeans cat6. My music server and LAN connection go to the A side.

I do have a Mutec Ref10 feeding it. My Audiolinux NUC auto-negotiated with the B side perfectly, having run at 1G previously. I disabled the bridge on my JCAT Femto server NIC as recommended.

Even if it did not improve from today I would say that it was well worth it and perhaps even a highend bargain.

Thanks Superdad!

Great to read your early experience P.

Being the ex-user that you are, I wonder if you are curious about the potential of the eR when it is located between the stored music files and the DDC endpoint when the latter is a RedNet box?

In my system I noticed the "extra signalness" of the eR immediately (best summary expression I can think of although I realise it's better understood as "noise" mitigation) - although yes the music had edges of the bright kind as well as the focus kind for a little while. The eR improved day-by-day for a couple of weeks (playing constantly).

Your amps get stood down periodically? Well there'll be a confound (warming up), but your ears will be used to that.

I'd sure be interested to know what your ears are telling you at 2-300 hrs (eR listening impressions thread?)

52 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

I keep mine on all the time, rebooting only when I have to restart both the DAC and the renderer. My renderer always requires the DAC to go on first and it needs its reserved IP address before it can be used at all. In that scenario, I have to reboot the EtherRegen first. 

That said, I just spent four days trying to get it to pass a signal. I will try booting it last next time. 

Please do post back if this works!

• 4 weeks later...

My new Farad 12V Purple has maybe 200 hrs on it. Improvements mainly in first 72 hours.

This PS compared with ER stock smps has made an astonishing difference in my RedNet system. Truly surprising. Whole new level.

Local playback only PC > Fiber > ER > RedNet D16 AES  > Mutec re-clocker & WC > DAC.

Haven't heard Orange but glad I went for Purple.

Opens fuse rabbithole :-( lol

• 1 year later...