IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

Hi,

Is there a list of SPF's that are known to work with the EtherREGEN (maybe on Uptone's site)?  I reconfigured my audio network last year with the intention of adding a EtherREGEN down the road, which I just purchased this week.  I've now discovered the TP-Link TL-SM311LM SFP's I put in my network aren't compatible (to the best of my knowledge they meet the listed requirements).  Yesterday I purchased a pair of 10Gtek ASF85-24-X2-D as they appeared to be what someone else was successfully using, but they don't work either.  All four SFP's work perfectly with my TP-Link router / FMC.  My EtherREGEN seems to work with CAT6 in/out in my home office, but I already pulled 60' of fiber to my audio room so I either abandon the EtherREGEN entirely or find SFPs that work.  Are their any known compatible models that I should be trying to purchase, or do I just keep rolling the dice?  Or have I possibly just ordered units that don't meet the EtherREGEN requirements?

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Try pushing the SFP transceivers in harder/deeper. Both the models you list should be perfectly compatible with the EtherREGEN. In fact that 10Gtek ASF85-24-X2-D is the one we use during final board testing on our bench with EVERY EtherREGEN unit.  I do admit that some folks have had intermittent problems with some of the TP-Link TL-SM311LM modules, but we think it is mechanical not electrical.

Beyond that I would try a different fiber optic cable for test.  And you did not say what is at the other end of that fiber feeding the EtherREGEN.  Is is a switch or router with SFP cage or is it some fiber media converter?

Thanks Superdad.  Network connectivity is provided by a D-Link DGS-1210-28P smart managed switch.  The listening room is fed fiber via a SFP in the D-Link and normally a TP-Link FMC which the EtherREGEN is supposed to replace.  I can use any combination of the four SFP's with my existing gear.  I don't think I can put the SFPs in the EtherREGEN any deeper without a sledgehammer, but I'm attaching a pic so you can confirm.  

Are there any settings I should look at in the switch?  I don't have another LC-LC cable on hand, since the one in question works with all the FMC's on hand it seems like an unlikely suspect.

EtherREGEN - SFP installed 1.jpg

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

Okay, then let's back up a little. Since there are no LEDs with SFP cages to tell you about connection, please tell us about what equipment you are connecting to which EtherREGEN RJ45 ports and what LEDs do you see above those ports when you do? Maybe the fiber connection is working fine and the trouble is something else. Since we do not know anything about your system it is hard to speculate further.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

Thanks Alex. When the EtherREGEN is connected via SFP/fiber to the switch the lights on it for that port do indicate a connection.  When I connect a PC or my exaSound PlayPoint to the EtherREGEN out there is an amber light on and one or two flashes from the green light.  

37 minutes ago, Superdad said:

That sure sounds like you have a connection then.  What happens if you then attach a regular computer with display monitor to one of the ‘A’ side ports. Can you then surf the web?

I did test with a PC.  I don't get any connectivity through the Ethergen w/ SPF & Fiber.

• 3 months later...