IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

Dear Superdad,

I have question about the benefits of the EtherRegen in combination with a WiFi Setup.

I don not have at this vary moment cabled ethernet in my living room. 

I use an Apple Airport Express or  an new Ubiquiti AmpliFi Instant Mesh as a Wi-Fi receiver / hub and connect by an ethernet cable the Allo Usbridge Signature followed by the fantastic USB ISO Regen (feeded by LPS 1.2.) 😀

Is the EtherRegen also advisable in this kind of set-up? Or is solely defined for Ethernet cable resp. wiring?

Ps. I cannot find this in your manual.

Because you stated  " A typical user will attach a single Ethernet cable from their main network router or switch to any of these ‘A’-side ports—as illustrated on the opposite page. 

Warm greetings from the Netherlands,

Andreas

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

58 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

Since you have a device that converts WiFi to Ethernet cable, that is where you put the EtherreGEN, connected to the Ethernet Cable coming out of the WiFi converter. The other side of the ER goes to your Usbridge.

John S.

Thanks for quick reply.

I will order as soonest the EtherRegen. A pitty we have to wait till Feb20.

Very best regards.

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

• 1 month later...

Hi Superdad,

I have a question where to place at best the ER  (B-side) my chain due to the fact that I

use Bridged Mode Mac mini 2018. I have look at the website but could not  find the answer.

I also use in my chain the Allo USBridge Signature followed by the Uptone ISO regen.

Please see attached flowchart.

Would the ER benefit my signal before or after the Mac mini? 

Or do I have too many Uptone devices in my setup and does the ER add little or nothing in terms of SQ?

Very best regards. Andreas 

Schermafbeelding 2020-02-07 om 13.23.39.jpg

Thanks Alex,

Just ordered  the ER.

Many thanks from the Netherlands.

Andreas

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Superdad,

Received my ER  Thursday. Everything works fine. Very good sound etc....

But when I want to connect my LG Oled 65 inch with ethernet  the ER on the A-side I am not able to establish a connection.

A soon as I use the old switch again and/or Apple Airport Express (with Ethernet out)  I have immediately a connection. 

Ps. Audio and  Television are in the same cabinet. Do I need two switches in parallel ?

Regards, Andreas

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi Andreas:

It should work. I too have an LG OLED TV (not 65”!) and have no problem connecting it to an EtherREGEN.

Please post a diagram of your set up and maybe we will spot something.

Hi Superdad,

I have a LG OLED65C8PLA. Attached my diagram.

stroomschema_ab2.pdf

23 hours ago, Superdad said:

That looks fine. I do not know why you are having trouble with connecting it on the 'A' side of the EtherREGEN. My LG OLED connects right away.  Did you try a different cable and also check the settings in the TV? Power off fully and turn on again?

Hi Superdad,

Thanks for quick response.

I have tried two different ethernet cables of different lengths ( 4 meter up to 10). Both Ethernet cables functioning well on the Apple AirPort Express and Netgear Switchnand LG TV.

Powered off The LG and ER several times but doesn't help. Connecting LG TV with  Ethernet cabe in ER doesn't give any kind of activity (no lamp signal).

But when I take my Mac Mini and /or MacBook Pro with ethernet cable the ER gives an instant signal / activity.

Present Solution: Connected my " Old " Netgear Switch ( including Shunting ) on A-side  ER. Everything works now fine. My TV recognizes immediately the switch the same  when using the Apple Airport Express.

It seems to me that ER doesn't support DHCP protocol?   Only in one way (direction) when a device like Mac Mini / Netgear switch initiates first contact resp. handshake.  But this maybe a wrong assumption due to the fact I am a layman in network computing. Or the ER  isn't properly functioning?

Addtional question. What is the better: to have the Netgear Switch before the ER including TV.

Or connecting as described above the Netgear on A-side of ER?

Vert best regards, Andreas

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Roasty said:

I am sending upsampled music from main pc using HQplayer to an Intel Nuc using HQPlayer NAA. My dac is capable of 1.536m pcm playback. 

I found that if I listened to MQA music upsampled to 1.536m pcm sent to nuc (naa) I would get short stops/gaps in the music every 20 to 25 seconds (regular and consistent). However, non MQA music did not have any issues (these were upsampled to 1.4112M). 

I spent days trying to troubleshoot this, and turns out the problem is with the ER B side port. 

If I remove the ER from the chain, I get playback with no issues at 1.536M.
If I connect ER to nuc (NAA) using only the A side ports, playback with no issues.
If I connect ER to nuc using ethernet cable from the B side port, I get the problem of gaps/stops in music.

Must be something to do with the B side port on the EtherRegen which is limited to 100mbps transmission rate.

Am relieved I found out what the issue was. Now to consider if I want the ER or I want 1.536m pcm playback.

Hi Roasty,

if you upsample to Dsd 512 or even higher looking at specs Dac what happens than?

Ps. HqPlayer designer has a clear preference for DSD instead PCM  (me too )

Can this issue be solved  within HQp? We need to ask Jussy about this.Instead of an additional 

switch.

I do have sometimes micro pops but suspected   that DIETPI in case of the Allo Usbridge Signature was or is the Root cause?

We learn every day!

Very best regards, Andreas

1 hour ago, Roasty said:

Hi Andreas.

No issue with DSD512 at all.

Only have issues with highest rate of pcm (1.536m). I did bring up this issue in the Roon Community hqplayer thread. Jussi did not reply to this particular problem, but he has helped me out on other issues before. 

Hi Roasty,

that was before Uptone did abovementioned statement concerning the wonderful EtherRegen.

Maybe we can do something in network settings Os Apple??

• 10 months later...
2 minutes ago, FrankMA said:

I use a 7V Farad Super 3 with the ER with no issues. This was Mattijs's recommendation for the ER at the time

Nowadays 9V see overview at Farad Site

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, soares said:

Just to share with the community that the eR in my systems sound far better after the server than before it! This configuration also benefits the files in the HD and not just the ones that come from streaming. 

Mini-Circuits BLP, What is yr experiences till now? Is it the BT7 or Afterdark ?

My order will be shipped tomorrow from UK

44 minutes ago, soares said:

With both BT7 and the AfterDark EG, the Mine-circuit improves noticeable SQ.

😀😍

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Urs said:

Now it happened again:

This leads to connection problems - not always but sometimes. I am afraid that's an unlucky combination.

2) and 3) (see above post) are fine. But 2) is not what I want to do on a regular basis. Looks like I have to step back and use the stock power supply... that's a pity.

Put the Farad and after that the Etherregen on power due to the fact that the Faradds use a supercapacitor which takes time to fully load ( see manual Farad) will solve your problem.

To put everything at same time by Furman (? Don’t know this device maybe it needs also time to come max power/ load) lead to mismatches IMO 

Ps if I switch to early  by inserting dc powercable in ER ….I have similar  problems.