IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

Superdad,

I have had my eR since the end of February and have been happily and sucessfully utilizing in A>B with RJ45 cables inputting to a microRendu and then USB to DAC.  I will soon be adding a Lumin X1 to the mix and would like to utilize optical in to the Lumin X1 and hopefully be able to correctly also run copper to the microRendu by reversing eR B>A.  Before ordering complimentary items for the  Lumin X1, I thought it best to run this by here to make sure I am on the right track.

1. Running B>A, is it advisable to utilize both the Optical and RJ45 "A" connections if my LPS  for the microRendu and for eR is separate and both running to an audio device, not a computer or NAS?  LPS-1.2 is powering microRendu and 12Vdc from SOtM SPS-1000 is powering etherREGEN without other units running from the SPS-1000.  
  2. If this is acceptable, should I also run a ground wire from the eR?
  3. Lumin says to use Single Mode Transceivers for the X1 and on a Lumin forum suggested these, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U8PN0NQ/?coliid=I3RP0WGFHIRELY&colid=2XPPCA6G9B2GZ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it  Do you see any compatibility issue with the eR and using these?
  4. I saw this cable also suggested on the Lumin forum,https://www.ebay.com/itm/3m-SC-SC-duplex-9-125um-Corning-ClearCurve-single-mode-bend-insensitive-fiber/232757309790?hash=item36316ab15e:g:ixgAAOSwcJ1a7Oct:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true  .  Does all of this look to be a compatible solution?

I appreciate guidance on this.  Thanks.

Alex,

Thank you very much for weighing in on my questions.  You are correct the SPS-1000 has a grounding screw, and per your suggestion, I do intend then to ground the eR to it.  I heeded Chris's earlier suggestions on what worked successfully for optical transceivers and cables during his review use of the Lumin X1 and ordered them.  I appreciate you both responding to my questions.

Stay well.

• 2 months later...

Kzs70,

I run copper from my modem -- switch -- etherRegen B side -- fiber out from A side -- Lumin X1 -- active analog crossover -- amps.  I also have run copper from A side ER to microRendu to USB DAC & preamp.  I have grounded ER to linear power supply powering the ER.  The microRendu is separate power supply.   Prior to Lumin X1, I had not tried any of my DACs direct to the active crossover.  I will continue to evaluate but have been quite pleased with the results.  I have some new XLR cables due today, so will evaluate those in the mix as well, first with Lumin X1 to active crossover and later to and from the preamp.

I followed Chris's recommendations he furnished here.  This was my first experience with fiber cable and SFP.  You want to make sure the fiber cable is completely inserted into the SFP and protective end caps removed from the fiber cable before inserting.  Process is easy, quick and results have been very good.

• 1 year later...

I previously used a SonicTransporter i5 CDR and ER.   I utilize a VPN, and when engaged would not reflect server nor renderer using SonicOrbiter web interface.   However, I could directly enter the web address for these in browser and they would come up to allow update and managing activities or I could temporarily disconnect VPN to allow using SonicOrbiter to manage.