IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

18 minutes ago, Superdad said:

To any users who have experienced loss of connection:

We have fully figured out the issue and by the end of this week will be releasing a firmware update to eliminate the problem.

It is all an 'A'-side issue having to do with "Energy Efficient Ethernet" (EEE) and our main switch chip's poor support of such (discovered in an errata sheet for it released well after we had designed in the part). John thought he had already set the registers right in the firmware, but his deeper inspection last night revealed that his code was not setting the registers he thought it was. 

We certainly do not want anyone to become frustrated with use of their EtherREGEN, so if you are experiencing connectivity problems, please just set aside your EtherREGEN for a few days until we release the update.  

Of course we will explain everything and make the process simple.  The only tools required will be a Torx T10 screwdriver (or just bit tip) to remove one end panel of the case, and a standard USB 'A' to microUSB cable.  The actual process beyond that will be silly-simple.

The vast majority of EtherREGEN users are not experiencing any problems (their connected devices are not trying to use EEE), so those users will not need to update their firmware.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

--Alex C.

alex,

can you tell us what devices you've seen so far that try to use EEE?

16 hours ago, Superdad said:

'A'-side only.  The 'B'-side PHY is part of an entirely different Ethernet logic chip.

But 'A'-side flows to 'B'-side...  And I am assuming that what John reported to me was listening to a device that was connected to the 'B' side. But we have not spoken today so I don't know that for certain.  But if the register change (to the main 'A'-side switch) is from a technical performance standpoint improved--enough for it to called out in the manufacturer's errata document for the part, then I see no down side to it.

re: A side flows to B side

for those of us with opticalRendus, it would be interesting if the register change benefit accrued to the A side optical when used downstream.

are any of your early testers running B==>A and able to look at that direction?

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 7:53 AM, spotforscott said:

Hi Alex, thanks for the call/ support. I have not had a chance to address audiolinux situation yet. In terms of firmware, I received in second batch so I don't need to update, correct?

i'm in 3rd batch but curious about where the referenced audiolinux NUC setting (that needs to be 100mb/s) resides?

• 2 months later...