IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

6 minutes ago, esmit said:

I also have connectivity problems. Both my ultraRendu and microRendu, and a Chromecast Audio that all are connected to the etherRegen get lost... All reserved ipadresses. 

Can you provide a full description of your network?

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
4 hours ago, esmit said:

Isp Router connected to etherRegen, 8 port switch, Philips hue, netgear Access Point. 8 port Switch to Roon Server, TV, Shield TV and IKEA tradfri.  Netgear access point to other unrelated server and Microsoft Dock.

The etherRegen replaced a netgear 5 port switch which is not used now anymore.

Uptone 36 w power bricks for etherRegen, lps 1 powering microrendu, lps 1.2 powering ultraRendu, network power combo thing powering the chromecast audio.

Rebooting the Isp router seems to work for a while. 

Can you put the Roon server and the Rendus all on the ER?

What kind of switch is the 8 port switch? How did you have the 8 port switch connected to the ER (what on what side)? (Most issues seem to be because of trying to put gigabit connections on the B side)

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
2 hours ago, FrankMA said:

I have finally bypassed the ER awaiting the fix.  Upgraded to Roon 1.7 and both Tidal/Qobuz have empty playlists and streaming fails on those tracks.  Connectivity issues every 1/2 hour.

I'll reboot my whole network again later because I want to listen tonight. Maybe Alex will surprise us today 🙏

Most of this is Roon 1.7 related - I've have similar problems and don't have an ER.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jacques_racine said:

Uptone's User Guide recommends using copper Ethernet wire.

Just realized my Starlight 8 is silver...

Should I return my ER?

actually its oxygen free copper with silver plating! 🙂 (unless you have the platinum starlight 8 which is solid silver)

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Pokey77 said:

Superdad + Stevebythebay,

I appreciate the welcome.

My setup is pretty straight forward as you can see. I simply stream Tidal and so am looking to clean up the signal more before it gets to the N10. I plan initially to run out of the router to the A side of the ER, then out the B side and through the wall to the N10 as a first experiment. Then secondly I would try moving the ER behind the rack in my listening room, but ideally it'd be in the other room far away from my system. In the second position, I could run my network connection for my TV out of the A side. In the end, whatever place the ER ends up will be where it sounds best. Then after that I can work with Supra 8+ network cables I've been breaking in via nightly Netflix.

BTW, I am running AES/EBU to my TAD dac. To me, it is ever so slightly better than USB.

alex and others have repeated said that the ER needs to be as close to the endpoint (the N10) as possible, so putting it behind the N10 would be best.

• 5 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

Three days I'm back to stock SMPS and all is fine but... @Superdad Alex: any clue on what might have been the cause of... ^^^

do you have the lps-1.2 output set to 12v?

50 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

yes: set to 12v as per UG ;)

@Superdad 👍

oh... btw... are ER and UltraCaps LPS-1.2 chargers the same?

asking as... I believe I was using ER's one to power the LPS-1.2

according to the pics on their web site, they are.

12 hours ago, Rhed6 said:

Thinking of getting a ER for my very first 2 channel setup. Want to know if this would be the proper chain. Very simple setup..
Router> switch> ER> windows laptop> ISO REGEN (with LPS 1.2)> DAC (Pre Box S2d)

Have you  considered improving your source first? The idea with the ER is to isolate a low noise source/endpoint from other noise on the network. A laptop is inherently noisy so I'm not sure the ER will help you out much. 

@Rhed6 That is true that the IR cleans up USB noise, but it only does so much. 

I just don't think you see any benefit using the ER before your laptop because your laptop will still be the weak link in the chain. 

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, TwinPeak said:

Hi Mark, thanks for commenting. Wider network - please elaborate.
I have done the network setting the lazy way - DHCP auto.
This morning I received some comments on the same subject, and I removed the Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter and plugged B-port ER to the regular Ethernet port on Mac Mini. Turned on WiFi on Mini for being able to access it from another Mac in my office.
Network is not my force, so I would appreciate some advice 🙂
Tom

I would turn off the wifi - only utilize the ethernet connection to the B side of the ER. Other wifi devices on the network should be able to access the mini.

6 hours ago, Roasty said:

I have just acquired an ultracaps lps 1.2

9v setting on LPS should be fine right? 

Also, both the EtherRegen and LPS 1.2 run pretty hot. I assume they should not be stacked? 

@Superdad recommends the lps-1.2 be put on 12v to reduce the current required.

On 3/8/2020 at 1:45 AM, Crustacean said:

Here’s a question I hope is easy for @Superdad or @JohnSwenson to answer in quick general terms—and apologies for my lack knowledge (and apologies if this has already been discussed somewhere and I’ve missed it):

My setup: For my primary music playback system I have the B-side of my EtherRegen connected to my network. On the A-side, the optical port is feeding an opticalRendu. In this setup, to get best results, I know that I shouldn’t have anything else plugged into the A-side.

However, the question is:

At times when I am not playing music to the opticalRendu this way on my primary system, and when my DAC that is attached to the opticalRendu is powered off, does the opticalRendu by itself in its idle state still generate sufficient network activity and potential noise that it’s still not advisable even at those times to use one of the other copper ethernet ports on the EtherRegen’s A-side to feed a different streamer to a second system? (Doing so works fine, of course; but I’m asking about best results in terms of the purpose of the etherRegen.)

Thanks!

Do you hear something that indicates a problem?  My take is that if you can't hear it, then there's not a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Roasty said:

Anyone have any clues on this? Sorry for quoting myself.. 

alex worked very hard on the manual for the ER to answer questions like you poised.  have you read that?

• 3 months later...
21 minutes ago, Vangelis said:

Installed my new ER. It is on the network for a side has  A side  yellow blinking lights. The B-side has a solid yellow.  The B side Ethernet out to connected to my Innuos Zenith.  For some reason I can not find or connect to my Innuos server/streamer. Anyone have an idea?

first thing i would do is restart your innous device.  next thing i would do is put everything on the "a" side to see if that works.  then you could also flip sides (innous from "b" to "a" side and your network connection from "a" to "b" side) and see if that works.

1 hour ago, Vangelis said:

I’m  a little confused about if changing my TP-Link AC1200 wifi box configuration to a Wireless Access Point mode, instead of Router mode, this will allow it and the modem to be both connected directly into the ER instead of running in series? Maybe Superdad suggestion of changing the mode would end an IP conflict with one address. 

you do NOT want to change the AC1200 to WAP mode -- you must have a router and its the only thing you have that performs that function.

the modem as you figured out is not a router, so that's why things didn't work previously.  you always must go in series from modem to router and then use the ports on the router to connect other devices.