IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

if you are connecting to crappy endpoints

please be more explicit as "crappy endpoints" doesn't help/educate/give any clue to potential customers: which endpoints are you calling "crappy"? make/model, please: purpose of this forum is helping people make good choices, isn't it? ;)

or, at the very least: what do you suggest as the bare minimum of "good enough"? again: make/model!

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

• 3 weeks later...

I have a spare LPS-1.2 but before trying using it to power my EtherRegen...

- Lumin U1 Mini connected to B port

- Lumin is powered by a Vinnie Rossi ultracaps LPS (complete isolation from mains... I believe!)

- Lumin is connected via USB to a Metrum Adagio DAC but there's an ISORegen (powered by an LPS-1.2) in between

question: will I need to ground the etherRegen? 😐

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

ooops... right... forgot about that (but I did read the manual: swear it 😛 )

was also misleaded by the ground terminal being on B side, sorry 😔

thank you Alex :)

headphones system:

• 3 weeks later...

SFP is on A side and B side only has *one* 100MB copper port

;)

headphones system:

• 1 month later...

Alex... this morning I found my etherRegen disconnected from the network during the night

"Power LED" was on but all ports LEDs were off 😶 (both on A and B side)

no idea if the fiber SFP connection to main switch was up as... the ER has no LED there

(but in switch's control panel it was blinking meaning, I guess, there was an issue)

ER is powered, since about a week, by an LPS-1.2 (LPS' power LED was green)

Power-cycling the LPS solved the glitch and everything is now back up and running fine

According to my NAS' logs (connected to ER's "A side") connection was lost right after completing a scheduled backup (so some "heav-ish" network traffic was involved)

will keep an eye on it ;)

headphones system:

1 hour ago, pl_svn said:

Alex... this morning I found my etherRegen disconnected from the network during the night

... and it just happened again, right now, during a playback session 🙄

same symptoms as before: green power led on, all ports leds off

back to stock SMPS and... let's see

headphones system:

Three days I'm back to stock SMPS and all is fine but... @Superdad Alex: any clue on what might have been the cause of... ^^^

headphones system:

yes: set to 12v as per UG ;)

@Superdad 👍

oh... btw... are ER and UltraCaps LPS-1.2 chargers the same?

asking as... I believe I was using ER's one to power the LPS-1.2

and, btw2... LPS gets really, really, really hot! 🥵

(Class A power amp here so... I know what hot means 😛 )

headphones system:

On 2/5/2020 at 6:58 PM, Superdad said:

But keep an eye on your LPS-1.2

ok: now powering the ER from an HD-Plex 100 and moved the LPS 1.2 to the USBRegen in my secondary system 

so far no issues (but took about a week for the ER to start acting when powered by the UltraCaps LPS)

headphones system:

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, ogs said:

Those that receive their ER's early in this batch can probably thank the fact that @Superdad did not go skiing this week as planned 🤣

... not at all something to laugh about! 🙄

headphones system:

have you heard anything about... 

... that "maybe" is the reason why Alex *had to* cancel his skiing holiday?

🙄

headphones system:

1 minute ago, Cable Monkey said:

Others may choose to take a slightly more light hearted approach.

my most sincere wishes of... good luck with that! 😐

headphones system:

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, MrKlutz said:

Everything works well through all the steps except after reinserting the SFP

tried pushing the SFP module *really hard* inside its cage?

when i first installed it I had no connection through the etherRegen 'till I did

headphones system:

7 minutes ago, octaviars said:

If I understand  @MrKlutz right it works for a while but then looses connection when he uses the SFP so it does work for a while.

right why I asked: might be an inconsistent contact ;)

headphones system:

• 2 months later...

fugly! :p

just kiddin' ;)

headphones system:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, reruam said:

suggestions?

check if the SFP module is actually connected

had to push it "pretty hard" in my ER's SFP cage to make it work

headphones system:

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, jomsjoms said:

“science”

Orlando-Ferguson-flat-earth-map_edit.thumb.jpg.7a7eef4483fe5a0bc714aa7d1da62658.jpg

headphones system:

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, electrafixion said:

I've now discovered the TP-Link TL-SM311LM SFP's I put in my network aren't compatible

those are the ones I'm using and they do work fine

main switch used to be a TP-Link Jetstream T2500G-10TS replaced a few days ago by a MikroTik CSS610-8g-2S+

cable, though, is 9/125 OS2 single-mode duplex LC-LC

as Alex said... first time I installed the TP-Link transceiver in the EtherRegen I had to try a few times, pushing it in harder and harder, before a connection could be established

EDIT: oh.... wait... TP-Link TL-SM311L**S** are the ones I'm using, sorry 🙄

headphones system:

• 8 months later...

just to make this clear for others: mesh is not an issue if you have a true mesh router/repeater(s) system

but out there plenty of routers use instead a pseudo-mesh technology that might cause issues

my whole network is based on true mesh routers and everything works just fine

headphones system: