IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

On 11/10/2019 at 12:59 AM, Superdad said:

This can also be the thread for prospective EtherREGEN purchasers to ask tech questions.  

Thanks everyone!

--Alex C.

Dear Alex,

On the UpTone Audio homepage you speak of "outstanding performance" concerning the EtherREGEN (ER). You know better than me that in different chains the same new hardware can produce different results. So I have 5 questions:

1. Do you still use an SD card for MacOS?

2. Do you still employ a 2 Mac mini set-up as described in 2013?

I am curious about this as this is part of my current setup that was just completed by implementing your MMK Kit in my second Mm too -- with very good results as to SQ.

3. Does the use of 2 Mac minis still make sense when putting the ER in between the Mm server (with A+ on it, not the one with the music-HDD attached to it) and my DAC La Rosita Pi which fortunately offers me a LAN input?

4.1 Or, vice versa, is the Mm with the attached HDD redundant because of ER´s merits?

4.2 Furthermore, do we still have to make up our mind about which type of HDD/SSD (USB, Firewire, Thunderbolt, USB C) for music storage to choose soundwise?

Before placing an order I hope you can sort of wipe away the mist in front of me to get back a clear view again.

Best wishes,

Uwe

• 4 weeks later...

@Superdad Hi Alex,

If I am lucky, Martin will send my ER next week to me. So I am beginning to figure out how to best integrate it in my chain.

As you may remember I am using 2 Mac minis:

To Mm 1 a HDD with my music is attached via USB.

Mm 1 is connected via a Thunderbolt cable with Mm 2.

So, using "file unblocking" on Mm 1, I can see the music files on Mm 2.

Please tell me, if I am wrong with my planned configuration:

1. I want to attach Mm 1 & 2 via Lan cables to the A-side, and another LAN cable would be used to connect ER´s B-side to the Larosita Streamer/DAC with its RJ45 input (Larosita creates its own network).

Concerning this configuration would the Thunderbolt cable still be necessary?

2. Perhaps another possibility (not my first choice) would be to only connect Mm 2 with ER´s A-side.

Which connection would be your favourible choice?

Many thanks in advance for your kind advice.

Best,

Uwe

39 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I am a little skeptical of your statement that the "Larosita creates its own network." That would mean that it acts as its own DHCP router, assigning IP addresses to other computers on the network. From what I read on their web page that is not the case.  So I think you will need to run some cable from upstream on your home network (from other modem/router/switch) to one of the 'A'-side ports of the EtherREGEN.

@Superdad Hi Alex,

The Streamer/DAC I use is La Rosita Pi. This DAC has an Airport Express integrated. By means of the AirPort program I can create an own network (2.4 or 5GHz). So La Rosita Pi is independent of the main router, but not capable of using the internet (something I don´t need as I am not using Qobuz etc.).

That being said I hope you don´t say that the main router (capable of using the internet) necessarily has to be attached to ER´s A-side, as it is located 15mtrs away in a different room.

Best,

Uwe

P.S. Thanks for the information about the ERs that have reached Martin.

• 2 weeks later...

On 12/21/2019 at 12:17 PM, Jud said:

I wonder if 2 or 3 Command Strips might work.

Hi Jud,

Obviously, the Command Strips have the advantage to be easily removed if necessary.

But as far as I can see the technical data lack information about the use as a heat transfer tape.

So I think I will follow octaviars´  way and order a heatsink being a bit taller and in the first step simply put it on top of the ER and see, what happens.

Best wishes,

Uwe

Heatsink.png

33 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi Uwe:

I think Jud meant using those in place of screws to attach the brackets to the wall. Don't think he was suggesting Command Strips as thermal interface pads.

Wishing you a lovely holiday and New Years!

--Alex C.

Hi Alex,

Sorry that I got Jud wrong.

All the best for you and your family as well.

Uwe

P.S. The above shown heatsink weighs 2,6 kg. Would the case of the ER stand it?

2 hours ago, Johnnydev said:

Is this Realy all necessary?

Hi Johnnydev,

You are right asking this question. For me as a non-technician it is more a matter of taste rather than knowledge about physics. In my mind (and I may be wrong) electronic equipment has a longer span of life if its working at low temperatures.

11 hours ago, Superdad said:

Sure, the EtherREGEN case can take the weight.  But unless that heatsink is made of lead I have really hard time believing it weighs 2.6kg. That's almost 6 pounds for a 4-inch square, 1-inch tall piece of aluminum which is mostly cut-out with fins.

Shame on me. I surely did not interpret the technical data sheet correctly.