mfsoa

Roon folder view - What am I missing here?

Rate this topic

So I tried to suggest to Roon that they incorporate a simple Windows folder view option.

Apparently they never will, which astounds me as they trumpet their superior user interface while denying you the ability to interact with the music files on your PC in the same way that you do for every other file. 

I have a folder that contains a dozen hi-rez files from 2L. In Logitech Media Server, I select the folder and hit play and guess what, the files play!! OMG!! A Revolutionary Concept!!  In Roon these files are spread all over the place as they have different composers. By using Roon I have lost the ability to play these files unless I do what, somehow locate them in Roon (good luck) and then make a playlist? Why do that, they all live in the same folder already!  Or I guess I need to re-tag a TB of data so that it fits into the way Roon wants me to sort my data?

Am I just a Luddite in craving the ability work with folders, Logitech Media Server-style? I use freakin' folders all day and all night at work and at home but now Roon says no, you need to add a few more levels of information to each of the thousands and thousands of files you have because trust us, it's better that way??!!

It just seems absurd to me to pay this much money to access the "industry's best user interface" when the interface is unable to respond to what we all consider normal computer instructions.

Me: "Show me what is in my Miles Davis folder"

Roon: "Ahhhh noooo, why would you ever want to do that?"

I guess I'm missing something but having to re-tag my music so that it fits into the way a $500 program demands I interact with it, no thanks.  Rethinking this whole Roon thing hard here. Maybe it's back to LMS after all...

Sorry for the rant but this is just crazy!

-Mike

16 minutes ago, mfsoa said:

Am I just a Luddite in craving the ability work with folders, Logitech Media Server-style? I use freakin' folders all day and all night at work and at home but now Roon says no, you need to add a few more levels of information to each of the thousands and thousands of files you have because trust us, it's better that way??!!

I'd say from my point of view - yes you are. But, then my POV doesn't matter, does it? Only yours does.

That said, give Roon some time. It's different if you are used to LMS. And if you ask them, Roon will extend the 2 week trial so you can get used to it. But you can really do almost anything in Roon if you know how...except folder view 🤥.

I suggest: learn to use the Focus and Bookmark functions in Roon. You can set up all sorts of automatically compounded and updated groups that let you listen the way you want.  For instance, you can set up a focus by label(s) and get all of your 2L cuts to appear. 

There are two other ways of dealing with this in Roon: Have you let Roon use it' s database to categorize your albums (it won't overwrite your tags), or did you tell it to use your tags? If you are using your tags and they aren't very fleshed out, it can be problematic in Roon. IOW, if your Miles albums aren't tagged with Miles as the aritst, or in the album title, it can be an issue. 
But , if you  search for "miles davis" any album of his in your collection should come up. It does for me.  That problem isn't a Roon issue, per se. I'm not sure why it is one for you. 

Roon also has it's own rules for how it deals with the hierarchy of artists, albums, album versions, box sets, etc. If you use them, I think you will find it works quite well. The Roon community and Roon wiki are very useful here. 

And if like many of us you are very picky about how you navigate your collection, yes, using Roon in an optimal way may necessitate some additional tagging of your collection. You can tag within Roon while using it, btw. 

BTW, I still use LMS and have 3 SB devices in my home. But I've got no doubt that Roon is a superior interface. Give it some time and you may find you will appreciate it's virtues. 

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Kii Control>Audiolense DRC>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Thanks firedog for your considered answer.

I have used Roon for many months now and overall it is truly fabulous. 

At the moment it can't load my database so I can't check out your suggestions. Hopefully a support email will get me back up and running. I was able to get LMS back up and running in a second so likely no hardware issue with the PC.

I have no idea if Roon used my old tags or not. I never had to worry about tags before since Windows has this handy "Folder...file" structure thing that was 100% satisfactory to me for music file management in LMS. Like I use for files at work...and at home...and for ALL of the interactions I have with computers!!

Coming from LMS, I never in a milliion years would have guessed that any newer, "better" program would not be able to capitalize on my folder set up to enhance my user pleasure. Just a ridiculous, unnecessary and unwanted step backwards, in the name of stepping forwards.

IMO