IGNORED

Article: Qobuz Tugs on Superman's Cape, Makes Bold Move With Industry's Best Pricing

8 hours ago, Masterstroke said:

According to todays What Hi-Fi this offer is available to UK users, but no mention of the rest of the EU

Studio Premier will only be .textClipping 5.54 kB · 35 downloads

I saw no mention of territory in that article. In fact it quoted the US managing director. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

16 hours ago, Masterstroke said:

According to todays What Hi-Fi this offer is available to UK users, but no mention of the rest of the EU

Eh... Your internet is going down after Brexit anyway, y'all.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

7 hours ago, mansr said:

Doesn't seem that way. Maybe after Brexit.

Screenshot_20191112-222320.thumb.png.38b0d5190aea01739fdae218300ffb7b.png

299 Quid for Sublime+ ??? MOVE!

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

19 hours ago, miguelito said:

I intended to get rid of TIDAL. However, I have found the TIDAL catalog in some areas (eg electronic music) to be deeper.

Deeper or broader?  Or both?  In your opinion.

Electronic is not a studio album heavy genre.  Collecting November 2019 remixes worth listening to vs all November album releases would be a lopsided effort.  With nearly every bit in both piles being new material.

1 hour ago, rando said:

Deeper or broader?  Or both?  In your opinion.

Electronic is not a studio album heavy genre.  Collecting November 2019 remixes worth listening to vs all November album releases would be a lopsided effort.  With nearly every bit in both piles being new material.

I don't mean remixes, but the electronic genre. There are probably more "studio" albums in this genre than any other... :)

Examples:

https://tidal.com/browse/album/71515060  (released 2017)

https://tidal.com/browse/album/16849992  (released 2006)

system pics

1 minute ago, mansr said:

That's one of the few areas we actually have some leverage. Almost all the transatlantic data cables terminate in the UK.

Well, maybe you should be making the argument you will cut off Europe if they don't do what you ask... :)

system pics

7 minutes ago, monteverdi said:

In had a French account which got switch to US and I lost the ability to play around 40% of my favorites (which are often not main stream). Looking at the unplayable albums I doubt that these are based on rights issues but on user frequency. So I think the US version is a more dumbed down version for at least classical and esoteric taste.

I might get an European subscription when mine expires even if it would be more expensive or forget about Qobuz!

Yes, Qobuz implemented a Snob Filter to justify higher prices in some countries. It's a proven marketing strategy.

On 11/13/2019 at 5:20 AM, miguelito said:

I don't mean remixes, but the electronic genre. There are probably more "studio" albums in this genre than any other... :)

Examples:

https://tidal.com/browse/album/71515060  (released 2017)

https://tidal.com/browse/album/16849992  (released 2006)

Rereading I realize maybe I posted too quickly... The albums listed above are NOT available in Qobuz US. There are quite a few misses, especially in the electronic genre, in Qobuz US. Many are available - at least for download - from Qobuz UK.

system pics

22 hours ago, monteverdi said:

In had a French account which got switch to US and I lost the ability to play around 40% of my favorites (which are often not main stream). Looking at the unplayable albums I doubt that these are based on rights issues but on user frequency. So I think the US version is a more dumbed down version for at least classical and esoteric taste.

I might get an European subscription when mine expires even if it would be more expensive or forget about Qobuz!

This is absolutely not true @monteverdi. There are massive differences in licensing between the US and Europe. As I've often said the better benchmark is whether one of the mainstream services in the US has something, then we should too. 

1 minute ago, dmackta said:

This is absolutely not true @monteverdi. There are massive differences in licensing between the US and Europe. As I've often said the better benchmark is whether one of the mainstream services in the US has something, then we should too. 

I don't understand that statement. You mean you should have everything Spotify has or how you define mainstream service?

7 hours ago, miguelito said:

Rereading I realize maybe I posted too quickly... The albums listed above are NOT available in Qobuz US. There are quite a few misses, especially in the electronic genre, in Qobuz US. Many are available - at least for download - from Qobuz UK.

@miguelitoThe two Tidal examples you posted are not available on Qobuz UK. There are still a few independent aggregators and labels that haven't licensed us yet. Generally we are trying to get everyone on board. I will look into those labels specifically and try to find out who distributes them. 

16 hours ago, mansr said:

And that is why piracy continues to flourish.

Absolutely. If something is missing from streaming services those who wish to listen to it won't sit there with their arms crossed, and in the process might become accustomed to obtaining their music by other means for free. Labels need to put an end to this BS of regionally restricted catalogues. Everything needs to be available to any listener regardless of where they are located.

16 hours ago, dmackta said:

Yes we should have everything they have. We are still maybe 10 million tracks behind but we are adding 10,000 albums a day. 

I hope this includes classical as presently there is an tremendous amount of recordings not available on Qobuz U.S..

17 hours ago, dmackta said:

Yes we should have everything they have. We are still maybe 10 million tracks behind but we are adding 10,000 albums a day. 

I've been moving playlists over (via Soundiiz) from other services (mostly Tidal) and there is very very little that Qobuz does not have. Most of the errors I've noticed are pretty obscure tracks that may have been part of compilations on Tidal. 

Also Very impressed with the Qobuz hi-res selection. I wish that Soundiiz would seek out the Hi-res matches during the playlist transfer but it seems to be hit or miss.

I'm holding my breath till after Jan 1 before I pull the plug on a years sub between Amazon and Qobuz.  If Qobuz holds the price line I'll go there, they have the Win app with the ablitiy to direct the data stream without resampling. If they raise the price I'll go to Amazon. Yep, I'm a cheapskate.  LOL

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Thanks for this article and thread!  This has really brought Qobuz to my attention!

Given that it's been 2 months since the Amazon Music HD launch, and the hardware device compatibility issues have not been improved/addressed, trying Qobuz is very tempting.

For the streaming device platforms below, I understand the following.  Please comment if I am wrong or if there is other relevant info.

• Heos - no native compatibility within Heos or with Qobuz Connect using the native Qobuz app.  I wonder why?

• Chromecast Audio - the native Qobuz app can be used to cast up to 24/96 FLAC to a CCA.
    • For 24/192 FLAC from Qobuz, does the CCA of Qobuz server downsample to 24/96 FLAC?

• Sonos - not sure on the details.  I believe you can use a Qobuz app within the Sonos app, but not sure if you can use the native Qobuz app with the Connect feature.  
    • Does anyone know if the native Qobuz app works with Sonos?
    • Of course, the max resolution on Sonos is 16/44.1.