IGNORED

Speaker Placement Guidelines

try to put them in the best positions first, DSP later

think about 2 freq. ranges: Bass & high freq.

for Bass - avoid areas where standing waves either add up or cancel out - a swarm sub system helps a lot

for HF - analogize to light rays - you can slide a mirror along the side wall and have a helper watch to see when the image of the speaker appears in the mirror

BTW, what is a high quality single DIN head unit for an old car?  one with no fancy lights

4 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

for Bass - avoid areas where standing waves either add up or cancel out - a swarm sub system helps a lot

Yes, and there's the wave length. That is actually what led me into this research. For example, in a car a 12" subwoofer may have a wave length of say 12ft. That's just an example and probably not accurate as there are so many variables with enclosure design. Pointing the woofer at the head may only have a 3-4ft distance. Whereas firing the sub backwards against the rear of the car where the waves reflect and reach towards the driver may be closer to 12ft. That's why firing the subs rearwards in cars sounds louder. 

My personal setup in the home I run Tekton Ulfberhts which house in pair 4 12 inch subwoofers along with the mid and high array. I'm currently piecing together the Tekton 4-10s for 20hz to 80hz impact. 4 of them which are 16 ten inch subs. I've always preferred smaller woofers to large woofer in my thinking of Newtonian law. The smaller woofers are more controlled. In quick bass successive notes or beat line larger woofers reproduce with a rumbling bass note, that is, 18s and 21s. But the smaller woofers reproduce the "distinct" notes in the successive bass lines. 

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

Sony 65 inch OLED A8G, Sony 4k Blue Ray X700

Parasound Halo A31 Amplifier

Tekton Ulfberht Speakers w/ Be high frequency upgrade [4 ohms ea.]
Two Tekton Active [300 watts rms] 4-10 Subwoofers

Agreed on doing the physical placement first to the best possible location as determined by test tones at x-over Freq and SPL meter at listening position (mainly referring to bass region here). The better the physical placement the less processing is required to correct things.

There are lots of opinions on the large woofer vs small woofer argument. Some say the smaller woofer requires more movement to reproduce the same output of a larger woofer and in turn this extra driver movement always equals more distortion. I prefer fewer large woofers properly powered over many small ones that may each be well under powered

On 11/8/2019 at 7:59 PM, cjf said:

There are lots of opinions on the large woofer vs small woofer argument. Some say the smaller woofer requires more movement to reproduce the same output of a larger woofer and in turn this extra driver movement always equals more distortion. I prefer fewer large woofers properly powered over many small ones that may each be well under powered

I'll go with smaller drivers in more quantity to equal the same area as larger woofers any day!

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

Sony 65 inch OLED A8G, Sony 4k Blue Ray X700

Parasound Halo A31 Amplifier

Tekton Ulfberht Speakers w/ Be high frequency upgrade [4 ohms ea.]
Two Tekton Active [300 watts rms] 4-10 Subwoofers