IGNORED

TIDAL ... WTF???

Why does the TIDAL app on mac default to some completely imbecile settings when it updates?

WHAT THE FECK???

I did not want loudness or anything but Master quality before updating.

What idiot is deciding it is ok to reset all setting to shite mode?

As you can tell I am truly pissed.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

That can be frustrating but you just got to accept it will happen in the wonderful world of software and developer perspectives not aligning with user expectations or that software sometimes just does not work right.  It is like traffic in Southern Cal in that everyday I hit the road to go to work I don't know if it will be a good day or a bad traffic day but either way I just have to accept that their will be horrible stop and go traffic so I can either make myself miserable everyday while fighting traffic or find another way to deal with reality.  I don't have to drive but I choose to.  [stepping down off box]

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

2 hours ago, miguelito said:

Why does the TIDAL app on mac default to some completely imbecile settings when it updates?

WHAT THE FECK???

I did not want loudness or anything but Master quality before updating.

What idiot is deciding it is ok to reset all setting to shite mode?

As you can tell I am truly pissed.

Thanks for the info. Loudness normalization it is called. Analyse this:

https://www.audioxpress.com/news/tidal-implements-album-loudness-normalization-and-activates-it-by-default-for-mobile-players

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Thanks for the head's up.  

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

9 hours ago, miguelito said:

My main frustration is setting it up properly, then updating and having all this set back to defaults. That is not a matter of taste, it is basic software practice and any developer telling me they have to reset default every time is simply an idiot.

Ah that is indeed frustrating, once I had to give my password again after an update, frustrating if you have to look for it.

So after an update I check settings every time.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

46 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Ah that is indeed frustrating, once I had to give my password again after an update, frustrating if you have to look for it.

Microsoft applications nowadays require relogin all the time (Skype, Drive, One Note, etc) so I have mostly given up trying to use any of that. Adobe is almost as bad on that, requiring relogin to Creative Cloud all the time.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

11 hours ago, miguelito said:

My main frustration is setting it up properly, then updating and having all this set back to defaults. That is not a matter of taste, it is basic software practice and any developer telling me they have to reset default every time is simply an idiot.

Look on the upside, now you have a good excuse to buy the matching DCS streamer. 

19 hours ago, RickyV said:

My point is this is pretty bad practice from the development team. Does not happen with any high quality software that I am aware of.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

On 11/7/2019 at 3:44 PM, miguelito said:

Used to be called "POLA" - Principle of Least Astonishment

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

12 hours ago, Jud said:

Used to be called "POLA" - Principle of Least Astonishment

It maximizes my anger to find that what I set has been reset.

system pics

On 11/7/2019 at 11:44 PM, miguelito said:

I think Tidal may have fixed this. I still check after each update but the settings didn't change with the last 4 or so updates..     

On 11/8/2019 at 10:43 AM, Rexp said:

Look on the upside, now you have a good excuse to buy the matching DCS streamer. 

Miguelito has a dCS Rossini DAC. So he already has the dCS streamer ( it's inbuilt). So I am puzzled why he isn't using it with the Mosaic controller. It will almost certainly sound better then feeding Tidal from a mac. Roon integration I suppose. But then he won't be using the Tidal app either.

49 minutes ago, PAR said:

Miguelito has a dCS Rossini DAC. So he already has the dCS streamer ( it's inbuilt). So I am puzzled why he isn't using it with the Mosaic controller. It will almost certainly sound better then feeding Tidal from a mac. Roon integration I suppose. But then he won't be using the Tidal app either.

I often use the TIDAL and Qobuz apps on my computer (away from my main system). In my main system I use Roon, not Mosaic.

system pics

1 hour ago, Abtr said:

I think Tidal may have fixed this. I still check after each update but the settings didn't change with the last 4 or so updates..     

My TIDAL updated yesterday and you're correct: it kept my settings... Thx.

system pics

2 minutes ago, miguelito said:
52 minutes ago, PAR said:

I often use the TIDAL and Qobuz apps on my computer (away from my main system). In my main system I use Roon, not Mosaic.

Also should point out that I also use Audirvana on my computer(s) away from my main system. However, I find Audirvana a bit like Windows 3.1 when it comes to searching for stuff. Plus the only way to buy Qobuz downloads (that I am aware of) is the Qobuz computer app.

system pics

5 hours ago, miguelito said:

Plus the only way to buy Qobuz downloads (that I am aware of) is the Qobuz computer app.

You can go straight to the Qobuz download store without passing through the desktop app. At least I can in the UK but there is no point in posting a URL as the one I have  will only be applicable to the UK ( differing currency units, tax considerations and territorial availability of repertoire). But, yes, you still need to do this via a computer and not Mosaic ( and presumably Roon). You just sign in using your usual ID/Password to get your discounts ( if you are a Sublime+ member).

Thanks for your explanation. BTW, I also use the Qobuz desktop to see the  additional text items that they do not make available via their API and hence are not viewable with Mosaic. I also purchase via the desktop in preference to going directly to the store as you can link from the album you are playing or your favourites list in the desktop app without having to search again to purchase. You do have to sign in again to the shop though as it is a separate entity.

4 hours ago, PAR said:

You can go straight to the Qobuz download store without passing through the desktop app.

You're absolutely correct, but then I cannot listen or browse or search or look at my favorites as easily from the web-based store.

system pics

1 hour ago, Rexp said:
10 hours ago, miguelito said:

If you're ever bored, I would be interested in a comparison of Roon v Mosaic

I'll be perfectly honest: I don't love to do those comparisons. Why? Because at some level I have to actively stay away from futzing around with a myriad of comparisons that detract me from the music. Roon over RAAT sounds great, the user experience is unparalleled, and I just want to avoid rabbit holes... :)

However, since you asked... My expectation is that Mosaic would be the gold standard and Roon over RAAT (ie network) would be ever so slightly not as good. But like I said, this is speculation.

system pics