pvanosta

Questions on Hegel H390/H590

Rate this topic

Not sure in which subforum to post, as it relates to DAC, streaming and Roon...

Does anyone know / has anyone tested recently:

I am looking at the Hegel H390 / H590 amplifiers to potentially replace multiple boxes in my system (Auralic Vega G1 streaming Dac, Parasound Halo JC2-BP preamp and Bel Canto ref1000 monoblocks). I can find the info on most of the features I need (like HT bypass assignment) but I don;t see a clear answer to the questions below.

I run Roon on a NAS / NUC combination via ethernet to the Vega G1 which is recognized as a Roon endpoint
I have many DSD128 and DSD256 files, which run in native resolution on this combination.

If I use the H390 or H590 as a Roon endpoint via ETHERNET, will it have the same capabilities?

In other words:
1. does the H390 now work as a Roon endpoint?
2. Does the ethernet port in th H390 support DSD128 and DSD256?

Thanks all for any inputs

AFAIK, but you should email Hegel to be sure:

Roon status is under development, but not yet available. IOW, not an endpoint - YET. Acc'd to Roon forum, the software is in Beta and will be released any day (by end of year) and your unit can be upgraded by user.

DSD high rates are supported over USB. No specific mention by Hegel whether it is supported over ethernet. I'm guessing it isn't, but again, email Hegel and ask. AFAIK DSD  is converted internally to PCM for playback; the Hegel website and manuals aren't 100% clear abut that. I wouldn't be concerned about it;. If you are, you should audition the units playing DSD and see if you are satisfied with the result. 

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Kii Control>Audiolense DRC>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

4 hours ago, pvanosta said:

I asked Hegel first, before coming here. So far no response, hence my question in this forum.

I'm surprised. They answered me in the past. 

I found this number: Phone. +47 22 60 56 60.

I also talked to them once and they answered questions.

If that doesn't work try some of the dealers. At least some of them should know the official answer and respond to an email or phone call. 

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Kii Control>Audiolense DRC>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

9 hours ago, pvanosta said:
1. does the H390 now work as a Roon endpoint?
2. Does the ethernet port in th H390 support DSD128 and DSD256?

1. Not at the moment. Probably by the end of the year.

2. No

My suggestion to you is to keep the Vega as it outperforms the Hegel as a streamer. The H590 will outperform the Bel Canto / Parasound combo in my opinion. I switched from Pass Mono blocks / Boulder Preamp to the H590 and love the result.

8 hours ago, Ran said:

1. Not at the moment. Probably by the end of the year.

2. No

My suggestion to you is to keep the Vega as it outperforms the Hegel as a streamer. The H590 will outperform the Bel Canto / Parasound combo in my opinion. I switched from Pass Mono blocks / Boulder Preamp to the H590 and love the result.

Wow, high praise for the H590, I guess integrateds are finally as good as separates, thanks