IGNORED

Electronic Engineering and hi-fi set-up

12 minutes ago, marce said:

Again after many request you still come back with you sill ignorant replies when something relevant is posted in reply to someone else's comment. Fas was talking about shielding, I just pointed out some of the many references out there.  Others might want to learn.

Have you thought it takes more time to dig out the relevant information than it does to type an inane Luddite reply. 

And the E.E's you are referring to are the ones designing commercial audio!

How many Audiophiles do you think will wish to read further after seeing that Graphic insulting them ?

I was actually going to look further until I saw that graphic.

You must have known that it was there when  you posted a link to it. 

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

23 hours ago, sandyk said:

How many Audiophiles do you think will wish to read further after seeing that Graphic insulting them ?

You need to see someone, you have issues mate.

7 minutes ago, Blackmorec said:

With respect Sandy,  I’m not sure i fully agree there.

You are preaching to the converted .¬¬ In  this case I was simply pointing out , tongue in cheek, that there is far more to it than putting into practice the recommendations in a book designed for the consumption of other E.E.s, NOT the typical consumer.

Yes,  I am well aware of those items in your checklist. :)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

7 minutes ago, sandyk said:

You are preaching to the converted .¬¬ In  this case I was simply pointing out , tongue in cheek, that there is far more to it than putting into practice the recommendations in a book designed for the consumption of other E.E.s, NOT the typical consumer.

Yes,  I am well aware of those items in your checklist. :)

Yes, I get that. I was just getting frustrated with all the nonsense.  While it was addressed to you it didn’t address you..You just opened the door 😉

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

I repeat  :

Consumers shouldn't need to know these things, they should have been taken care of in the original equipment design stages if the E.E.s that designed them were competent.

Neither should consumers need to use special Power distribution boards, mains filters and special A.C. Isolation transformers with vanishingly low capacitance between Primary and Secondary sides, or put some components on a different mains feed if the components were well designed in the first place.

Audio components should be like cars, in that you only need to read and take notice of the owner's handbook for them to perform optimally.

I agree with you, but the problem isn't always the competency of the EEs, but sometimtes the beancounters forcing them into weird compromises.   Gotta keep good discipline!!! But generally, I agree.   If cable matching, good board layout, good grounding design was moee common, then mildly substandard cables would be a little less of an issue.   But then, there were (hopefully) EEs with proper engineering discipline  designing the cable...

It isn't just the EEs with good discipline designing one piece of equpment, but it requires reasonable EE competency of each important component, and reasonable USER level knowhow together.

If some manager pushed me into a bad compromise, and I wasn't trying to feed a family, I would simply quit such a mess.   Grabbing an EE college student, even one who was technically competent, and pushing them into bad positions will also sometimes result in bad design.

The worst is the generally competent EE, who goes into 'design mode' without engineering discipline, producing their beautiflul art project.   That kind of situation will sometimes produce bad results, but sometimes result in good stuff.   I don't like artful design, just give me good i design discipline & standards, and get the help of an industrial designer for packaging.   Keep the discipline with competent EE/engineers (I mean, TRUE ENGINEERS), and there will be a good chance for good results.

* it is easy to forget that 'EE' who knows the technology does not necessary imply good engineering discipline and high standards.

John

10 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

I agree,but the problem isn't always the competency of the EEs, but sometimtes the beancounters forcing them into weird compromises.  

Hi John

I have previously said the same on numerous occasions in this forum.¬¬

As a DIY person, I have no such restraints with my own equipment, otherwise I wouldn't be currently trialling a very low noise Jung Regulator in the PSU for the analogue section of my DIY DAC. It is giving a very worthwhile improvement.

Regards

Alex

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

Hi John

I have previously said the same on numerous occasions in this forum.¬¬

As a DIY person, I have no such restraints with my own equipment, otherwise I wouldn't be currently trialling a very low noise Jung Regulator in the PSU for the analogue section of my DIY DAC. It is giving a very worthwhile improvement.

Regards

Alex

With true DIY and working for the love of the best possible results, then the discipline isn't needed, except in the 'less interesting' areas.  If I was doing my project commercially, it would have been total crap, because even with the discipline, there wouldn't be enough time for all of the testing and reverse engineering.  There isn't a good cost/benefit tradeoff. However, I am also a victim of 'artful design' from time to time.   My project is the result of a total time commitment, but working engineers usually don't have the wherewithall or freedom to commit themselves for 100% of their life, instead they have to work 'smart'.  My own project wouldn't really be very easy if planned fully ahead,  where true R+D reared its ugly head also.   (R+D doesn't include creating yet another preamp design, unless it has significant innovation.)  The 'little-R' version of research is usually VERY hard work, most of the time an audio project doesn't entail all that much 'research'.

Good results often does require GREAT commitment.   Geesh, during my very boring last week, I designed the best, most wonderful audio preamp on spice -- however, we all know that the real-world result would be crap.  At least, I am good enough to make a perfect temperature compensated design (transistors don't usually 'drift' all that much, they are very predictable, even being used as thermometers.)   Capacitors do drift vs. temp and sometimes humidty quite a bit for example.  The bottom line, that even with the detailed, accurate knowledge, being expert at 'design from scratch' -- doesn't make the work 'engineering', it is just designing.

I know that YOU (Alex) know this, but just knowing the technology, even very well, doesn't make a person into a good design  *engineer.*   Being a good or competent designer doesn't imply that proper engineering discipline comes along with it.  Even though I am very technically competent, I haven't done real electrical engineering since about 1993...  Most of the time, I have adviced engineer/EE friends about more troublesome technical issues, but my advice comes without the proper engineering discipline to produce product.

(Many of you reading this already know this):

'EE design' not the same as 'EE Engineering' not the same as 'EE R+D & EE R+D Engineering'.   These all can come from a similar knowledge base, but the discipline and effort can be very different.

John

4 hours ago, sandyk said:

I repeat  :

Consumers shouldn't need to know these things, they should have been taken care of in the original equipment design stages if the E.E.s that designed them were competent.

Nothing in the first 86 pages of the Bill Whitlock Power Point speak to original equipment design stages. Yes there are some simplified schematics (but nothing for a circuit designer).

5 hours ago, sandyk said:

I repeat  :

Neither should consumers need to use special Power distribution boards, mains filters and special A.C. Isolation transformers with vanishingly low capacitance between Primary and Secondary sides, or put some components on a different mains feed if the components were well designed in the first place.

Audio components should be like cars, in that you only need to read and take notice of the owner's handbook for them to perform optimally.

Yet you keep pointing to the big thread on Servers.....

My experiences have been that the core circuitry works well enough - it's the auxiliary parts, other necessary hardware that let the side down. - usually because the "good enough" items are too expensive; hence the first to be jettisoned, to keep the cost down.

The neater the implementation, visually, usually the better the performance, for the parts used. Temperature stability is relevant in that frequently a very extended warming up is necessary for best SQ - the 24/7 switch-on is the logical solution in some cases - it would be nice, 😉, if the design could 'guarantee' that close to best was available in 5 - 10 minutes from a cold start ... but I won't hold my breath! 🙂

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I agree,none of those things you mention should need to be done.  But people on here (not to mention the crazier Audiophool sites) often do those things and more, even if not needed.

I do too, as can be seen in #64, but I am far removed from a typical Audio consumer.

I don't even use additional external Linear PSUs with my PC  like many members do,  as you will almost  certainly end up with earth loops, even if only minor.

The normal Audio Consumer should not need to take these additional steps as linked to, which are mainly intended for Professionals in that area, at the design stages .

21 minutes ago, fas42 said:

My experiences have been that the core circuitry works well enough - it's the auxiliary parts, other necessary hardware that let the side down. - usually because the "good enough" items are too expensive; hence the first to be jettisoned, to keep the cost down.

The neater the implementation, visually, usually the better the performance, for the parts used. Temperature stability is relevant in that frequently a very extended warming up is necessary for best SQ - the 24/7 switch-on is the logical solution in some cases - it would be nice, 😉, if the design could 'guarantee' that close to best was available in 5 - 10 minutes from a cold start ... but I won't hold my breath! 🙂

Re Temperature Stability.

It's ridiculous in this day and age that you should need to do so in many cases when you can use temperature compensation techniques as I do in my DIY gear, especially the Class A Preamp and Class A Power Amplifier.

Not only is it wasteful of electricity, but reduces the lifetime of components such as Vacuum Tubes and the larger electrolytic filter capacitors, in many cases leading to the binning of the gear, and the purchase of a replacement due to high service charges mainly due to the cost of Labor and special components. 

On 11/10/2019 at 1:24 AM, sandyk said:

Insults not funny, not creative: and in order to be so, - has to have some element of truth.

If there was an argument anywhere, - it would've been made. Or is it that certain troll's here are just not capable of presenting a good argument?, - that straw man, and (personal) appeals to authority will somehow sway audiophiles from the truth & knowledge that they experience.

This is why I say that the 6 or 7 trolls here are just venting anger and their jealousy. Wouldn't one think at least some of them, - would actually have a goal at defining what they might mean by "well-designed" system. How are high performance audio components poorly designed?  How are Vladimir Lamm's amps NOT well designed, while Sony receivers are? Because they utilize tubes? Or because they are more expensive? What about Solid State Pass Labs amps? How many houses have Lamm amps burned down? What is the total cost of the internal components of a LAMM amp as opposed to a Denon receiver? Does Vladimir Lamm not have an engineering degree? How has "basic physics" been violated in Lamm amps, and NOT in Sony's? Or is it because an item is more expensive, - it has to be poorly designed?, and also sounds the same? If it sounds the same, - how is it poorly designed?

So many questions, - so few answers forthcoming.... 

If the only thing that is done is hurl un-funny sarcastic insults, - how does that sway folks from continuing to evaluate high performance gear?

When these questions are asked, - crickets.....

Hi Alex - how's it looking for you as regards getting everything around your place in good shape for the fire threat, and keeping yourself safe? We're in the middle of the bad zone, and doing as much as we can to, ummm, stabilise the situation ... keeps temperatures down, in this case, 🙂.

With regard to circuitry, I find that passive parts, as well as active areas of circuitry, benefit from longer term conditioning - the tradeoff of better SQ, against shorter life spans, is still worthwhile ... if that's a simple tactic that can be used.