IGNORED

Electronic Engineering and hi-fi set-up

11 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

this is a quantitative issue: does the battery have more noise than an AC outlet power supply?  which is easier to filter out, etc.?

here is an oldie but moldy for those wanting to find out...

https://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/1133.pdf

Digital requires quite sharp current requirements when switching, it is this that can cause issues, I;ll try and find the relevant thread where it was discussed in detail and the links. I am not saying batteries are worse than any other main power solution (or better) it is all in the implementation.

9 hours ago, Albrecht said:

""Of course without electronic engineering and the advances made over the years we wouldn't have the kit we do today."

True that. And it is high performance audio electrical engineering that have really advanced, - guess what, - high performance equipment.

Where-as electrical engineering outside high performance audio, in different disciplines, - have actually hindered development. This is especially the case in multi-function computer design, - where certain engineers confuse design elements that make performance of many functions very good, and one function, (audio), - perform less well.

One example of this is Esoteric's VRDS NEO transport. Where-in many designers thought previously that software/firmware error correction didn't really do as good a job as super-accurate, beefy motor & magnesium disc clamping mechanism.

""Finally, having separate power supply's with umbilical's, many add on boxes with extra cabling (clocks!!!!) is not the best way for a noise free system, loops everywhere, without some serious measurements, you are only guessing whether its reducing noise""

Not really. High performance audio engineers measure and listen for that noise. The potential device purchaser doesn't need and shouldn't have to measure, - the proof will be in the comparative listening, - this will determine to them the effectiveness.

"far more critical is the on board supply components such as decoupling capacitors,"

No, far more critical is the HF noise leakage, and the out of phase AC current, sent back into the mains supply that also affect other sensitive digital gear in the chain. John Swenson has written about this, somewhat extensively, and provides great explanations about what is actually occurring with these low voltage digital circuits.

You don't work in electronic design. do you?

7 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

That doesn't make any sense to me.  If the source of the noise is inside the device, neither should affect it.  If it exists with the PS, it or the AC line is the culprit.  The battery (assuming it is adequate to the load) should not introduce any.

Use of battery just requires different kind of surrounding electronics which is another source of problems.

For example many battery power banks used to provide USB charging voltage are noisy as hell thanks to cheap ass DC-DC converter / switching regulator needed for the task. (using a linear regulator with a power bank would be immensely stupid because it would waste lot of precious electricity into heat)

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

5 hours ago, Miska said:

Use of battery just requires different kind of surrounding electronics which is another source of problems.

Certainly.  My response was to the situation proposed here where the battery supply was stated to be lower in noise than the AC PS.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

19 hours ago, sandyk said:

I believe you, but as a technical person can you offer a plausible explanation for this ?

Are you talking about FM stereo ?

Yes, FM stereo, WCLV Cleveland.

Why could we hear it on a clock radio and not on a good system.  But the clock radio had a frequency peak at the problem frequency.

20 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Removing the AC/PS reduces/removes the noise.  The battery neither adds nor removes anything (ideally).

This is exactly I meant.
The PS is designed to reduce the AC noise whereas the battery avoids it although it may add some noise of its own.

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

it might be fruitful to give DIYers some guidelines on what battery type & capacity, etc. would allow them to power a DAC without any conversion or 'surrounding' electronics...

Unless the battery A.H. capacity is well above that required for typical listening session lengths , and automatically recharged after a listening session this will not normally be possible, as otherwise performance is likely to suffer as the battery drops in voltage due to use, and is no longer able to follow peak demands on current without substantial variations in it's voltage.

Given that many consumer batteries such as Li Ion also have internal electronics for overload shutdown etc. you really need to filter their output. Shunt Regulators such as the John Linsley Hood PSU add-on design work well in this area, as their voltage In can equal the voltage Out. (within a few mV due to PCB track resistance etc.) and their modest current requirements.

The JLH also has a capacitance multiplier area and an active cancellation circuit where ripple etc.to >300kHz  is amplified and applied in opposition to the original ripple, but it can't compensate for slow drops in the battery's terminal voltage due to use..

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

32 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Unless the battery A.H. capacity is well above that required for typical listening session lengths , and automatically recharged after a listening session this will not normally be possible, as otherwise performance is likely to suffer as the battery drops in voltage due to use, and is no longer able to follow peak demands on current without substantial variations in it's voltage.

Yes, this is typically what N. up the road has found - the 'annoyances' with battery are that the performance slowly degrades with time, as the charge is consumed; and that if current spikes are required then this 'compresses' the SQ - with the latter, there was a very clear volume level, where the rapid onset of losses at higher levels made it pointless to listen there.

So, this is one area where 'grotesque' over-spec'ing, of the battery supply, is likely to be of real benefit - keeps the circuitry in the sweet zone over a much greater range of usage.

to run scientific instruments, I've done what Sandy described above - high capacity, etc.

when not worried about noise I've used a higher voltage than needed and regulated it down for use

the former should work well to drive a DAC, etc. as not all equipment requires super-ultra-mega-low noise supplies...

18 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

to run scientific instruments, I've done what Sandy described above - high capacity, etc.

when not worried about noise I've used a higher voltage than needed and regulated it down for use

the former should work well to drive a DAC, etc. as not all equipment requires super-ultra-mega-low noise supplies...

That does NOT mean that many devices won't perform quite noticeably better when powered by a very low noise and low impedance Power Supply. Even replacing the supplied A.C. wall wart for my Musical Fidelity X-DAC V3 with an external Linear LOW noise + and -15.5V supply resulted in  MARKEDLY improved performance.

The 330 ohm PW5 resistor seen in the photo was fitted to more closely match the loads on both the + and  -supply rails, as the -15V rail is only used to power the Analogue area opamps.

This also helps to minimise " turn off" thumps.

X-DAC V3 PSU.JPG

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

On 11/6/2019 at 1:33 PM, Blackmorec said:

This morning I was looking out of the window as my wife commented on how hard it was raining. I looked but could not ‘see’ any rain and there were no puddles so I didn’t see any rings. Thinking about it I realised that I was looking out through very fine mesh mosquito netting, left over from summer, so I released the netting and let it roll up. Looking out of the window again I could now clearly see it raining.  While the mosquito netting is almost invisible and has very little if any affect on the lake view so wasn’t noticed, it completely obscured the fine detail of falling rain and its exactly these fine details that we use in hi-fi to provide sonic clues about soundstage, timbre, ambience etc.  So what’s the equivalent of the mosquito netting in hi-fi? Essentially it would be anything that obscures the system’s ability to resolve detail.  Remove them and hey-presto, it sounds like you’ve added something!  The electronics engineers who build our hi-fis are able to design, manufacture and measure equipment to perform at the very pinnacle of the art, but is that what we’re actually going to hear?  Not if there’s a step missing.....the set-up that ensures that there’s no sonic mosquito nets between you and your  music. 

I think you with the mosquito net have made a very good and “clear” analogy, bravo.

On 11/7/2019 at 1:45 AM, Kal Rubinson said:

Removing the AC/PS reduces/removes the noise.  The battery neither adds nor removes anything (ideally).

The battery can be disconnected from the mains and by being disconnected it will be isolated from the mains noise, ground loops and less prone to transmit leaking currants.

Battery has their cons as well, naturally, and I would not say it’s better than a well-made LPS or anything.  

10 hours ago, Summit said:

Battery has their cons as well, naturally, and I would not say it’s better than a well-made LPS or anything

They can be worthwhile though with USB in particular, which doesn't like any capacitive coupling back to A/C mains earth. Even connecting the transformer shield lead to mains Earth with an  R-Core transformer resulted in a small but noticeable degradation. I was able to verify this after fitting a toggle switch at the rear of the PSU to try with, and without this connection.

For those interested in a comparison of the output noise of several different types of voltage regulation, and especially the noise from batteries , this earlier series from TNT Audio may be of interest.

However, it does not cover more recent lower noise battery types such as the LiFeP04.

https://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/regulators_noise4_e.html

The article starts at https://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/regulators_noise2_e.html

6 hours ago, marce said:

A typical type response from you and several other members.

You just can't help yourself, can you ?

( Screen grab from the 1st "Resource"  linked to by you.)

Consumers shouldn't need to know these things, they should have been taken care of in the original equipment design stages if the E.E.s were competent.

Typical Marce response.jpg