IGNORED

Spatial M3 and M5 Sapphire speakers

I ran across Spatial Audio last year when they were demonstrating the M3 turbos at CAF, very impressive but they weren't quite there

for me at the high frequency end vs my Magnepan 1.7's This year they have new models with a full range dome tweeter and I'm seriously

considering buying the M5's to replace my Maggies, quite a dynasty change for me since I've not been found an alternative I liked

for under $10k since 2011. Like the Maggies they have no cabinet resonance because they have no cabinet enclosed drivers, just a frame

the drivers are mounted on.

Demonstrated at CAF 2019 were the M3 Sapphires, using an Innuos Zen Mk3 source, Lampizator Amber DAC and Linear Tube Audio

Z10 integrated amplifier. It was my favorite room at the show largely because it had the airiness I expect in good playback and bass reproduction

was spot on, with a total system cost under $20k. (1)Clarity of reproduction at low volume setting was excellent which is my big bone of contention

with the 1.7's... can't play music quietly with them, you lose resolution.(2) highly efficient speakers ~92db/1w. None the less with a 10w amp I could

detect a sense of struggle in more complex passages where more wattage was needed for a firm grip in controlling the speaker. But 92 db vs 85 db

for  Magnepan is a world of difference in amp dollars; I suspect with a 50~100 watt amp you could call it a day with the Spatials vs looking for 200 watts

on up for Magnepan. (3) dispersion was very good with the Spatials, you did not have to sit in the center spot to get full range sound although imaging

became more diffuse if you weren't in the center spot (4) did I mention the bass balance was  spot on even in a small hotel room space...

M5 model is 1 15" driver  and dome tweeter, impedance of 8 ohms, price ~ $2950  as of this date

M3 model is 2 15" drivers and dome tweeter, impedance of 4 ohms, price ~$4200 as of this date

manufacturers site

http://www.spatialaudio.us/products

Curious if anyone has made the switch from Magnepan to Spatial M3 turbos or newer  and what their assessment of the speaker was after living with

the speakers for a while

M3 spatial.jpg

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

7 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I haven't heard the Spatials, but one thing you'd lose is the 'vertical evenness' of sound coming from the ribbons on the Maggies

I’m good with a seated listening position and a wider sweet spot. Heck, they are short enough I could put a wide screen TV behind them for the ultimate in music player GUI laziness... black obelisks have nixed that idea so far

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2019 at 10:30 PM, sockpit said:

I ordered the M5s for a trial the other day.  

What the heck, I figure. Ill be out the shipping if they don’t knock it out of ballpark in my small 11 by 13 dedicated listening room.  Clayton says they will. Time, probably two weeks to delivery, will tell.

Am looking forward to my first OB experience.  

Curious if you have any observations to share?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 12/27/2019 at 2:18 PM, sockpit said:

Here is one happy, new owner of the M5s.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=166883.new#new

Thanks! Good to see that someone who preferred Magnepan sound liked the M5's and found them better in a small room.  Like the author I used to have a large space (20x25)

where the 1.7's powered by an MC Hafler DH200 were space appropriate. But retiring and buying a one level home changed that, the space I have now is 12x12 so that 1.7's

and the Hafler are no longer appropriate, too big a speaker and amp for the space.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2020 at 11:37 PM, sockpit said:

One week in.

They are a dominating presence size-wise in a 12 by 12 space, which is fine if it’s your dedicated listening room. They are quite beautiful and the build quality is top notch.  They are, finally, 75lbs each, which is why they arrive via freight and on a pallet.

But how do they sound?  At first, not so great.  But the owner of Spatial and Spatial customers strongly recommend 1-2 hundred hours before taking serious measure of their performance.  I’m at about 100 hrs and they are, indeed, coming to life.  Still too early to say for sure if they are keepers.  I will return them if I don’t like the sound (and eat the freight.) But I think I’m just starting to hear what people rave about.  

One plus: they are so revealing of details and dynamics that I can happily listen in my small room at much lower volumes.  Which is good for my hearing in the long run. And the cliche that I’m hearing things for the first time is true in this case.  I may be on my way to speaker happiness in this small room.

Sorry I can’t help you with the Magnepan comparison . . . 

I suspect another reason for the 100~200 break in period is that one also ends up reevaluating the rest of the system set up, exposing weaknesses or mismatch

that was unnoticed before as you try to optimize the new purchase. This takes time to identify comparison options, do A/B swapping and revise the system for best performance

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2020 at 11:37 PM, sockpit said:

One week in.

They are a dominating presence size-wise in a 12 by 12 space, which is fine if it’s your dedicated listening room. They are quite beautiful and the build quality is top notch.  They are, finally, 75lbs each, which is why they arrive via freight and on a pallet.

But how do they sound?  At first, not so great.  But the owner of Spatial and Spatial customers strongly recommend 1-2 hundred hours before taking serious measure of their performance.  I’m at about 100 hrs and they are, indeed, coming to life.  Still too early to say for sure if they are keepers.  I will return them if I don’t like the sound (and eat the freight.) But I think I’m just starting to hear what people rave about.  

One plus: they are so revealing of details and dynamics that I can happily listen in my small room at much lower volumes.  Which is good for my hearing in the long run. And the cliche that I’m hearing things for the first time is true in this case.  I may be on my way to speaker happiness in this small room.

Sorry I can’t help you with the Magnepan comparison . . . 

Bump. Any update to share? 🙂

Regards,

Dave

Audio system