IGNORED

SGM Taiko Extreme

5 hours ago, marce said:

So what you are saying is basically EMC .  The term you use implies more.

Analogue noise such as a tape adds to the analogue signal though and does have an effect on the resulting signal.

I would not have thought the levels of vibration would have such an effect on the clock stability.

As to your last comment, you have problems, big problems if you have an optically isolated DAC and you are still getting EMC issues...

Optical isolation, assuming its actually on the input to the DAC will only protect against conducted EMI. If your room has sources of main’s born or radiated EMI or RFI, optical isolation does nothing. If your optical isolation is further upstream than your DAC, before your server for example, then any noise generated by the server or picked up by its cables may be problematic. The DAC itself can pick up radiated EMI and RFI and can also self-generate problems if its not thoroughly well designed .

The difference between analog and digital is that with analog, any noise that pervades the system cannot be removed without damaging the signal and SQ. In digital the data stream can be cleaned and reformatted before conversion to analog with a positive impact on the SQ. Once cleaned and formatted however its essential that the digital stream be well protected from conducted and radiated EMI and RFI. 

I have a modem (LPS)—-> router (LPS) ~~Wi-fi~~>access point(LPS)/ethernet cable——>AQVoxSE(LPS)—->ethernet cable —> server —>USB cable ——> DAC & Amps

It is totally illogical that anything noise-wise or clock-wise before the server can be heard....yet you can clearly hear the effects of all the power supplies, cables, switches and even anti-vibration measures anywhere within the described network stream.  The WAN cable between modem and router, even the Atacama stand under the router make small but positive contributions. I was as surprised as anyone so please don’t claim its expectation bias. I only made the changes because I kept hearing the differences...not because they were expected. Quite the opposite....i can’t figure why they make a difference given the network layout and thorough isolation. 

What is clear however is that the results of a well screened, vibration optimised, low jitter and noise  data stream are simply stunning when they’re all added together, so I’m in complete agreement with Nenon’s findings