IGNORED

SGM Taiko Extreme

On 11/3/2019 at 4:24 AM, isquirrel said:

If you use USB your DAC receives the data asynchronously, that is to say that your DAC re-clocks the data, which voids any benefits of using a Word Clock sync, I have experimented with different outputs from the W20 and only the AES 110ohm & the SPDIF outputs are affected by the word clock sync option. As I want to be able to take advantage of high res files it means using the USB output anyway. So the word clock sync is of no value. MSB offer a Pro USB module http://www.msbtechnology.com/accessories/prousb/ which effectively reduces any noise out of the USB output by converting the data to fibre. 

There is a sense in which I wish I had not seen this thread.  I've been thinking about this server for a while, and like the OP, I've been in denial about what might be going on here.  Emile has been very kind and patient with some of my questions, but he clearly implies this is the server that best complements the MSB Select II DAC.  I'm starting to seriously consider it.  Maybe I need an intervention ;), at least to wait until Emile comes out with the trickle-down version sometime next year.

Hello,

I've ordered it, along with the same cable you have (I use all Shunyata Sigma throughout my system).  This is such a difficult decision, as I would seriously deplete my very limited financial resources.  I discussed this briefly today with Jonathan at MSB via email, and even they said all you need is the galvanic isolation of the ProUSB.  I then sent him a link to this thread and he thought your review was credible, and advised hearing it for myself.

Before I check out for the evening, I wanted to leave you with another question.  I looked at some of the early posts in the long WBF thread, where Taiko say their optimizations for the Extreme really took off when Emile applied things he'd learned from modifying the Herzan devices.  Are you using any special vibration control measures with your Extreme?

1 hour ago, isquirrel said:

Congratulations on your purchase. You will not regret it. I use mine on an HRS VXR stand with TOTL M3X2 platforms, I have also found that adding a Setchi D3 to the unused USB port on the Extreme has over time (they take time for the full effect to come into play) I have also re-cabled my Network which is quire simple, Modem/Router/Switch with Shunyata Sigma Ethernet Cables.

I have a few sets of the HRS Vortex footers, I am interested to see what if any difference they make under the Extreme. The Extreme is so well. engineered that adding this and that accessory to it may change the sound however the real question is has it changed the sound for the better. 

I have heard that people have tried the Daiza platforms under the Extreme and DAC with great success. YMMV.

To clarify, I've ordered the ProUSB, not the SGM server, at least not yet.

With respect to your comments about clocks above, John Swenson says something similar about his new EtherREGEN device which removes clock noise.

6 hours ago, isquirrel said:

The answer I have come to believe is noise and isolation. Emile has taken such "extreme" length's to lower the noise floor and or shift it to frequencies which do not cause major issues in the digital playback realm.

I trust this explains my findings with greater clarity.   

I love that fact that Emile and company have used their God-given freedoms to create something remarkable, and at the moment seemingly inscrutable.  Even if I come to the conclusion I can't afford it, I'm delighted it's there for some to enjoy.

That said, this doesn't provide greater clarity for me, not that I insist on having it right now.  I still come back to MSB's statements about the isolation of the ProUSB module.  Jonathan tells me he uses a Roon NUC at home and a Mac at work, and that's all he needs.  John Swenson also minimizes the role of server tweaks in certain scenarios with his groundbreaking EtherREGEN.  But there's something more, and we come back to the the basic question of "what is going on?"

For now, I suppose we can refer to the seminal thread and read about manipulation of "RF soup" and "DRAM refresh", all a certain amount of which is going to be the undisclosed intellectual property of Taiko Audio:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/

EDIT: Emile told me he plans to produce a "2/3" version in a few months.  That will be interesting to see.  I'm reminded of all the Wilson Audio videos I've recently watched about so many of their products which benefited from pricier offerings.

24 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Maybe you should check out the streamer from Grimm audio the MU1. They have also built a great streamer.

Thanks Ricky, I'll check it out later.  But I've really got my eye on these guys.  They invested in highly-sensitive audio and RF detection gear, and spent at least a year of R&D on this (not to mention the TDY to Mike Lavigne's room in Washington).  With that kind of risk taking and persistence, they deserve a rich reward.

• 1 year later...