IGNORED

SGM Taiko Extreme

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Darryl R said:

There is a sense in which I wish I had not seen this thread.  I've been thinking about this server for a while, and like the OP, I've been in denial about what might be going on here.  Emile has been very kind and patient with some of my questions, but he clearly implies this is the server that best complements the MSB Select II DAC.  I'm starting to seriously consider it.  Maybe I need an intervention ;), at least to wait until Emile comes out with the trickle-down version sometime next year.

I have had the Taiko Extreme for a month or so now, I have over 600 hours on it. It has sounded better and better and I still don't think it has hit its peak. If you have a MSB Select II DAC, you owe it to yourself to bite the bullet and get this beautifully built server. 

The major test for any pice of equipment is how much time I spend listening to music through it. I find myself login from listening occasionally once maybe twice a week on rare occasions to listening every day. I can't give the Extreme a better compliment than that. 

I have a few friends who are Audiophiles, they seem to be coming around more and more often to listen my system. That never happened before. I have even compared it to 1/2 inch tape masters, which when I download the same file from HDTT it sounds at least as good. 

Do you have the ProUSB Module? 

Music Sever - Taiko Extreme

DAC's - MSB Select II + Femto 33 Clock + Dual power supplies + Pro USB Module

Amp's - Raal HSA-1bMSB Reference HP Amp, MSB Select Estat Headphone Amp Woo 234 Mono's Elite, Takatsuki 300B, 274B

Headphones - Raal Requisite sr1a, MySphere 3.2, Kennerton Thror's, Stax SR-009 & 009S, Sony MRD-Z1, Abyss Phi TC, Audeze LCD-4, 24 & 4Z, Focal Utopia, HiFiMan Susvara

Cables - DHC OPUS HP, Stage III Gorgon XLR's + Xphynx USB

Power - Shunyata Triton V3 & Typhon QR + Sigma PC's Isolation - HRS SXR Ref Stand + MX3R Isolation Bases

19 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

Before I check out for the evening, I wanted to leave you with another question.  I looked at some of the early posts in the long WBF thread, where Taiko say their optimizations for the Extreme really took off when Emile applied things he'd learned from modifying the Herzan devices.  Are you using any special vibration control measures with your Extreme?

Congratulations on your purchase. You will not regret it. I use mine on an HRS VXR stand with TOTL M3X2 platforms, I have also found that adding a Setchi D3 to the unused USB port on the Extreme has over time (they take time for the full effect to come into play) I have also re-cabled my Network which is quire simple, Modem/Router/Switch with Shunyata Sigma Ethernet Cables.

I have a few sets of the HRS Vortex footers, I am interested to see what if any difference they make under the Extreme. The Extreme is so well. engineered that adding this and that accessory to it may change the sound however the real question is has it changed the sound for the better. 

I have heard that people have tried the Daiza platforms under the Extreme and DAC with great success. YMMV.

Amp's - Raal HSA-1bMSB Reference HP Amp, MSB Select Estat Headphone Amp Woo 234 Mono's Elite, Takatsuki 300B, 274B

Headphones - Raal Requisite sr1a, MySphere 3.2, Kennerton Thror's, Stax SR-009 & 009S, Sony MRD-Z1, Abyss Phi TC, Audeze LCD-4, 24 & 4Z, Focal Utopia, HiFiMan Susvara

Power - Shunyata Triton V3 & Typhon QR + Sigma PC's Isolation - HRS SXR Ref Stand + MX3R Isolation Bases

On 11/11/2019 at 7:50 AM, Nenon said:

I have never tried a DCS DAC or the top of the line MSB DACs. But with the other dozen of DACs I have tried, I can clearly hear audible difference when making changes to the upstream clocks. 

I too thought that ultra precise clocks are important inn a music server, the transition from the Aurender W20 to the Taiko Extreme and the use of MSB Pro USB module has debunked that idea in my system. The MSB Select II DAC has an option of a Femto 33 clock which is the most accurate clock you can buy. The MSB Select II re-clocks all data and I have found removing upstream clocks have improved the sound. Until you have heard it, it's difficult to accept however myself and a bunch of MSB Select II owners have all come to the same realisation.

If you get the opportunity try and have an extended listen to the latest MSB DAC's. They really are a revelation. I have always loved Analog front ends, that's changed with my current setup.  

My apologies, when I re-read my post I can see how its confusing. So let me start from the beginning:

I already had the Aurender W20 when I purchased the MSB Select II DAC (+dual power supplies, 33 Femto clock) I decided to use the AES 110 ohm output from the Aurender as I could then use the additional clock sync option on the W20 & on the DAC. That produced a sound that at the time was probably at or close to Start of the Art digital playback. Not using the USB option mean't that I was missing out on MQA streaming and ultra high res files. Then Jonathan from MSB told me they had engineered a USB solution that should have made music servers all but redundant. This was interesting and I subsequently acquired the ProUSB module and external USB to Fibre module.

More info here: http://www.msbtechnology.com/accessories/prousb/

Still using the W20 I moved to the Pro USB solution. It was clearly superior although I still found that different USB cables sounded well, different.

Fast forward to the Taiko Extreme, a unit was lent to me and much I as tried not to enjoy it, the facts were obvious it sounded considerably better.

So yes I 100% agree that even with the ProUSB module and the fact that the DAC re-clocks all data, the source as it has forever been (I am thinking of the Linn Sondek LP12 days :-)) is all important. It doesn't matter how good your DAC is if it doesn't have the best data fed to it, its simply not going to be there. 

I have tested the Taiko Extreme with MSB's Bit Perfect test files, unfortunately they only work with MSB's latest DAC's. The files all played Bit Perfect the same as they did on the Aurender W20. So if they were playing bit perfect what was going on to generate such a difference in sound quality? 

The answer I have come to believe is noise and isolation. Emile has taken such "extreme" length's to lower the noise floor and or shift it to frequencies which do not cause major issues in the digital playback realm.

I trust this explains my findings with greater clarity.

MSB offers a number of input options: I have found the following to be the case in order of preference when using either the W20 or the taiko Extreme.

1.   ProUSB

2.   USB

3.   Network Renderer V2 

8 hours ago, bmichels said:

I just wonder: Now that Taiko Audio SGM Extreme do NOT uses HQ Palyer, I hope that there is no more optimisation needed ! will it be as "plug&play" as an Aurender or a Playback Design transport or... are there still optimisation needed to match your system ?

No there are no such optimisations needed to match your system other than installing your DAC's driver which Taiko Audio do for you. Which DAC are you using now? 

I have an MCSE, which is now out dated as it focused on Windows 7. However when I look into the registry I see a lot of familiar Control Key's. 

I was expecting to go into the registry and apply some of the tweaks I have learned over the years. However I can see and Emile has already done this before installation instead of applying these tweaks after installation.

Emile has cleverly customised his installation of Windows 10 so that the settings and modules which would normally be there are simply not installed at all. This is a much better way of doing it and I have to applaud Emile he knew exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned all kinds of settings to him. Emile had either removed that component from installation or had applied the necessary tweaks beforehand.

I have no doubt that Emile has gone to exhausting lengths to make sure that his custom installation of Windows is the optimum sounding one. 

Emile continues to hunt for the ultimate Windows installation and will in time release service packs if he considers them to be of significant importance. 

So owners of the Extreme can rest easy knowing that Emile continues to work away constantly refining his version of Windows.

Having owned a couple of Music Servers that use a custom install of Linux I can attest to the fact that they all have a familiar lean mid range. Windows does not have that and properly configured outperforms any Linux or non Windows based Music Servers.

19 hours ago, bmichels said:

Today I have a Denafrips TERMINATOR, but the plan is to upgrade (soon ?) to the NAGRA Tube DAC.   

Which Nagra DAC the Classic Line DAC or the new HD DAC X?

https://www.nagraaudio.com/product/hd-dac-x/

Frankly whichever Nagra DAC you choose you can't go wrong.