IGNORED

Let It Bleed 50th

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 2002 remaster SACD (ripped on DSD and played via Aurender) and have been wondering about the 50th anniversary 2019 remaster on Acoustic Sounds (Single Rate DSD). When I compare the SACD to the LP stereo reissue (70s) I find that the SACD has a wider stage and much better instrument definition but I feel that the instruments overpower Jagger's voice and that his voice is somewhat lacking "something".

Naturally, I have been wondering if the 2019 remaster sounds any better. Based on @Kimo comments, it sounds like it could be a good investment.

3 hours ago, smdb01us said:

I have the 2002 remaster SACD (ripped on DSD and played via Aurender) and have been wondering about the 50th anniversary 2019 remaster on Acoustic Sounds (Single Rate DSD). When I compare the SACD to the LP stereo reissue (70s) I find that the SACD has a wider stage and much better instrument definition but I feel that the instruments overpower Jagger's voice and that his voice is somewhat lacking "something".

Naturally, I have been wondering if the 2019 remaster sounds any better. Based on @Kimo comments, it sounds like it could be a good investment.

Jagger's voice on the new one sounds a little better to me than on the London CD, which is quieter and wider.  His voice on the London CD has an opaqueness to it that is relieved slightly with the latest.    

Sorry, but I can't help further with the SACD comparison.  As I recall, it seemed a little cleaner overall than the CD (better tape?) but mastered similarly.  

I just compared a rip of the 2002 SACD to the new 192 download. 

I read where BL said the original remaster was meant as an homage to the original LP, but the new remaster was intended to let us better hear what's going on in the recording.

I think this is exactly what happened: the SACD  sounds very good and is very "solid" sounding; in the new remaster everything sounds a little more "upfront", and you can hear each individual voice/instrument more clearly and with more separation.

Which one is better? Not sure. I prefer the new remaster, but I think it is strictly a matter of taste. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

11 hours ago, firedog said:

Which one is better? Not sure. I prefer the new remaster, but I think it is strictly a matter of taste. 

I’m with you on the new remaster.  The “clarity” is improved.  I still,have (almost) all of the 2002 SACDs and the MoFi vinyl box.  I may have to pull that album out tonight!   Don’t expect a detailed comparison... it’s Friday night and there will be little critical listening happening. 😜