DuckToller

Rage against the Machine (are back?)

Rate this topic

Would be excited if they recorded a new album as good as their first one. IMHO (judging by video materials) their 2007-2008 concerts lacked the raw energy of their earlier gigs. But if I had a chance I'd probably go to their concert anyway :D

Performance dates:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Rage_Against_the_Machine_Reunion_Tour

The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.

―  William Shakespeare.

6 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Would be excited if they recorded a new album as good as their first one. IMHO (judging by video materials) their 2007-2008 concerts lacked the raw energy of their earlier gigs. But if I had a chance I'd probably go to their concert anyway :D

Performance dates:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Rage_Against_the_Machine_Reunion_Tour

Would you name a good album recorded by any rock band after a decade long hiatus? Nothing comes to my head.

22 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Would you name a good album recorded by any rock band after a decade long hiatus? Nothing comes to my head.

If 7 years will do - 'Discipline' by King Crimson. This was different music from their earlier stuff played by different musicians though. If it has to be 10 years or more - many will say 'Fear Inoculum' recorded by Tool after 13 years of silence (but I prefer early Tool). 

The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.

―  William Shakespeare.

36 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

If 7 years will do - 'Discipline' by King Crimson. This was different music from their earlier stuff played by different musicians though. If it has to be 10 years or more - many will say 'Fear Inoculum' recorded by Tool after 13 years of silence (but I prefer early Tool). 

Different music from different musicians - exactly. They never quite repeated their early achievement, imho. I listened red, blue and yellow cover LPs when they were first published, but would not care to do it now. Never quite followed Tool. Fear Inoculum is good listening for one of two times, imho again. 

The thing about most bands is that they are artists who like to try new things and to explore new boundaries musically. They don’t want to recreate what they’ve already done. Big bands also have less interest in being “big” again and appealing to a large audience. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Big bands also have less interest in being “big” again and appealing to a large audience

Headlining Coachella is kinda BIG, I'd guess.

2 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Fear Inoculum is good listening for one of two times, imho again. 

Regarding Tool:

I didn't like their early stuff too much, but the "Fear Inoculum" took me by storm with the first listen.

The sounds they have recorded are so much more than just a kind of different music, they create atmosphere and resonance for your listening room.

I might sound like a fan boy, but this album is my album of the year 2019, even it includes some Metallica-like material, and to me its quality equals the 2018 Dominique Fils-Aime album.

Cheers, Tom

15 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The thing about most bands is that they are artists who like to try new things and to explore new boundaries musically. They don’t want to recreate what they’ve already done. 

I wish this was true as far as 'most' bands are regarded. I'm not sure it is. But IMO there were fortunately enough bands which were able to 'expand' musically and explore new boundaries in an interesting way. That's what I have always been after in music as a listener. OTOH some get stuck with their musical taste (usually in the times of their youth) and follow the pattern of (heard it once in a slightly surrealistic movie) - 'how can one like a song that he doesn't know.?' x-D 

There was also a number of (BIG quotation mark!) 'big' bands who were absolutely unable to go outside some very narrow musical scheme e.g. The Ramones (not that I don't understand the historical meaning of the band or am unable to appreciate some of their songs) or (nomen est omen!) Status Quo.

15 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Big bands also have less interest in being “big” again and appealing to a large audience. 

Or have more fear of not being 'big' anymore.. IMO there are no rules in this regard..

―  William Shakespeare.

6 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

I wish this was true as far as 'most' bands are regarded. I'm not sure it is. But IMO there were fortunately enough bands which were able to 'expand' musically and explore new boundaries in an interesting way. That's what I have always been after in music as a listener.

For some strange, but no less curious reason rock bands are not able to develop. Or, to radically change the style in order to keep the audience's previous interest in themselves. It is unlikely that we would recall convincing examples proving the opposite. The first RATM album (very good album) practically exhausted the possibilities of these musicians. I'd be more than surprised if any new record will outperform their entry opus.

3 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

For some strange, but no less curious reason rock bands are not able to develop. Or, to radically change the style in order to keep the audience's previous interest in themselves. It is unlikely that we would recall convincing examples proving the opposite. The first RATM album (very good album) practically exhausted the possibilities of these musicians. I'd be more than surprised if any new record will outperform their entry opus.

I like Battle of Los Angeles best. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

39 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I like Battle of Los Angeles best. 

Each of us has our own personal preferences, which do not necessarily coincide with the generally accepted.

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

I'd be more than surprised if any new record will outperform their entry opus.

Me too. But I don't think they have any recording plans.

―  William Shakespeare.

36 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Me too. But I don't think they have any recording plans.

Record companies don't necessarily care about the artists' plans. Their own profit is more important.

13 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Record companies don't necessarily care about the artists' plans. Their own profit is more important.

But it's usually difficult to record a new album without the band's cooperation..

―  William Shakespeare.

2 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

But it's usually difficult to record a new album without the band's cooperation..

If you'll check the history of popular music you will see more than a few albums which were recorded not so much at the will of the musicians, but at the insistence of the recording houses.

Perhaps there is no point in mentioning countless examples of releases after the death of musicians. How would you rate the degree of cooperation of musicians in this case?

22 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

If you'll check the history of popular music you will see more than a few albums which were recorded not so much at the will of the musicians, but at the insistence of the recording houses.

It's been 17 years since RATM recorded their last studio album and I don't think their hands are tied by any contract with Epic (if they were I'm sure the label would have insisted on recording new material years ago when the band was at the peak of their popularity) so only their active cooperation and the will to record could be a cause for a recording session.

Perhaps there is no point in mentioning countless examples of releases after the death of musicians.

I wish all RATM musicians long and happy lives! 

How would you rate the degree of cooperation of musicians in this case?

As for the cooperation in person it could only be described by the word 'passive'.. ;)

―  William Shakespeare.