mourip

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

50 minutes ago, audiojerry said:

try this - it's the URL for its ebay store. It has 6 pages of products 

Sorry, but I just looked through all 6 pages of CableMatters eBay list and did not find their CAT8 cable listed.  

Ethernet cables are off topic here, yet there is an appropriate thread in our forum for such. :)

On 5/9/2020 at 2:27 AM, audiojerry said:

BTW, I should note that in addition to the amazing increase in SQ from the ER, I also heard an improvement from the ER when I replaced a generic ethernet cable on the 'B' side of the ER with a better quality ethernet cable (1 meter of Cable Matters SFTP Cat8 Ethernet Cable). Thanks to the Uptone community for that Amazon recommendation.

System synergy YMMV etc. I found the exact opposite. I found the Cable Matters CAT8 on the B side constrained and flattened the sound. Going back to a ‘generic’ Blue Jeans Cat6a opened the sound up considerably. Maybe that Blue Jeans Cat 6a shouldn’t really be considered stock though.

Edit: oops sorry, just read Superdads, don’t post about ethernet cables AFTER I posted.

On 5/8/2020 at 6:12 AM, stevebythebay said:

I like listening in a completely darkened room.  It's simply one less sense to get in the way of the music.  Only downside is if I'm too relaxed, it's off to dreamland.  Gotta' get a straight back, wooden chair, rather than the leather sofa and ottoman I'm used to.🤷‍♂️

Have you tried listening using a MusicMask? I’ve been using a set of these for years - as they allow you to keep your eyes wide open but you see nothing and just hear the music - your attention level improves drastically.  I used to just close my eyes before, but ended up drifting into la la land 

Roon Nucleus+ / ER / Linn Klimax DS4 (Katalyst) / Dutch & Dutch 8C / JL Audio F112

Their web-site says: ships within 52 weeks....that’s a bit odd.

Euphony Summus Server with a Kecces P-8A Ultra Linear PS, Bryston BP-26 Preamp, Bryston BDA-3 Dac, Bryston 4B Cubed Amp, Sonore opticalModule w/Uptone Audio LPS-1.2, Sonore opticalRendu w/Sonore Ultra Power Supply, Uptone Audio EtherRegen powered by a Your Final System (YFS) Power Supply, Clearaudio Champion TT Level 1, JLTI Phono Stage, Totem Acoustic Mani-2 Signatures, Audio Magic & Silversmith Interconnects, Audio Magic Speaker Cables and Power Cables, Uptone USPCB: opticalRendu to Uptone Audio ISO Regen (Powered by a Uptone Audio LPS-1.2) and Lush 2 USB Cable: ISO Regen to Bryston BDA-3 DAC. Using Monoprice Cat 8 Ethernet & a host of Audio Magic tweaks.

I hadn’t checked the site, as I brought mine years ago when they first came out. I’m sure if you contact them, they will let you know shipping times. Further down on the order page it says typical delivery time within 8 days. I would just check with them and ask..... they really do work,

Roon Nucleus+ / ER / Linn Klimax DS4 (Katalyst) / Dutch & Dutch 8C / JL Audio F112

Listening Impressions (definition & separation) :

During my listening sessions (with now permanently ER linked in my system) I came around a track

Bass and Drum Intro - Nils Lofgren Band Live - Nils Lofgren

How does it sound in your system?

10 hours ago, Vule said:

Bass and Drum Intro - Nils Lofgren Band Live - Nils Lofgren

How does it sound in your system?

Very live sound - while the audience in the opening are a little thin, the bass guitar is exceptionally vibrant with extreme plucking sounds and leading edges. The drums have impact although the stereo spread is a little old school. A good example of a live recording.

Try also Keith Don't Go from Lofgren's Acoustic Live.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Asus TBS/Volumio streamer > Mutec MC-3+ USB reclocker > LKS MH-DA004 DAC > Burson AB-160 XLR buffer > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. BG7TBL master clock. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators AudioQuest, Coherent & MCRU cables

https://theaudiostandard.net

Try Jackson Browne - Sergio  Leone - from The Naked Ride Home album - fantastic!

Great album, as are most of his albums.  His Solo Acoustic work is probably my favorite. 

Steve Schaffer

Roon Nucleus/ WD USB Drive / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler  / dCS Vivaldi DAC / dCS Vivaldi Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral DMA-500 monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia Series 2 speakers / Shunyata Denali - DPC6 - Sigma Ethernet / Synergistic Research Galileo interconnects / Uptone EtherREGEN switch

just ordered the EtherREGEN and want to get the best performance from it.

I have 15m from my router to the EtherREGEN, would it sound better with fiber optic? using a router like the Ubiquiti ER-X-SFP

28 minutes ago, Martin Herløv Andersen said:

just ordered the EtherREGEN and want to get the best performance from it.

I have 15m from my router to the EtherREGEN, would it sound better with fiber optic? using a router like the Ubiquiti ER-X-SFP

I think you need to tell us how you plan to use it 

If you have a fiber (only) endpoint, you don’t have a choice 😀

57 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I think you need to tell us how you plan to use it 

If you have a fiber (only) endpoint, you don’t have a choice 😀

Are there many way to do this 🙂

Okay in one en of my listing room I have my router close to where the cable from the internet provider socket are.

In the other end of the room I have all my equipment connect to a 5 port switch.

The cable between the router and the switch are a normal cat5 cable.

The EtherREGEN are going to replace my current switch. The B side will connect to my Streamer and the ports on the A side to my router, tv, surround processer and Apple TV

Right now I don't have a SFP port on my router. But I would buy one if it can get me better sound (;

55 minutes ago, Martin Herløv Andersen said:

But I would buy one if it can get me better sound

No it won’t 😀
But It is my understanding that an optical module do based on this article.

Or a second eR ....

And you may buy a good cable between your streamer and the eR. Like those from Gent Audio or Blue Jeans. And probably good power supplies. 

1 minute ago, R1200CL said:

No it won’t 😀
But It is my understanding that an optical module do based on this article.

I beg to differ.

Martins  proposed system is similar to my set up..... I found that introducing fibre into the chain in between my Airport extreme and the etheRegen improved the streaming capabilities and slightly lowered the noise floor on the rest of the system.

An optical module may well enhance that improvement.

4 minutes ago, Frojo said:

I beg to differ.

Martins  proposed system is similar to my set up..... I found that introducing fibre into the chain in between my Airport extreme and the etheRegen improved the streaming capabilities and slightly lowered the noise floor on the rest of the system.

An optical module may well enhance that improvement.

I can not use the fiber optic without a  optical module. I know that I need it for the SFP port on the router and also on the EtherREGEN.

How can I use it without?

3 minutes ago, Martin Herløv Andersen said:

I can not use the fiber optic without a  optical module. I know that I need it for the SFP port on the router and also on the EtherREGEN.

How can I use it without?

Forgive me for confusing you -

The Sonore Optical module is a converter (RJ45 -> Fibre) 

In either scenario you will still need the sfp modules (and fibre) to connect sfp cages together. i.e. your ubiquity router and the etheRegen.

36 minutes ago, Frojo said:

Forgive me for confusing you -

The Sonore Optical module is a converter (RJ45 -> Fibre) 

In either scenario you will still need the sfp modules (and fibre) to connect sfp cages together. i.e. your ubiquity router and the etheRegen.

Thanks. Read the article and know I understand 🙂

Give Al Di Meola and "Pursuit of Radical Rhapsody" (electric/acoustic) a try with your EtherREGEN and other gear. Absolutely mind blowing how the dense rhythmic and highly dynamic sections are presented, and it's a good record for testing your equipment - if you like that kind of music 🙂 With SD-card-booting Mac Mini now powered by JS-2, my system is from another planet...
Tom

UpTone JS-2 LPS > Mac Mini (UpTone MMK+Audirvana 3.2 - ER A-side) > UpTone EtherREGEN (JS-2) > WD-NAS (SMPS - ER A-side) > AirPort Extreme (Apple SMPS - ER A-side) > Sonore UltraRendu (LPS-1.2 - ER B-side) > UpTone IsoREGEN (LPS-1.2) > Hegel HD25 DAC > Conrad Johnson PV10 (Tube) > QUAD 405-2 > SoundLab Dynastat Electrostatic/Hybride Speakers > (Cables from AudioQuest/PS Audio/Transparent/Nordost)

3 hours ago, TwinPeak said:

Give Al Di Meola and "Pursuit of Radical Rhapsody" (electric/acoustic) a try with your EtherREGEN and other gear. Absolutely mind blowing how the dense rhythmic and highly dynamic sections are presented, and it's a good record for testing your equipment - if you like that kind of music 🙂 With SD-card-booting Mac Mini now powered by JS-2, my system is from another planet...
Tom

Thanks for the recommendation. Enjoying it now....

How do you have the two ERs connected? A to A, B to A, A to B, or B to B?

i connected a Ethernet 5 port switch powered by Lps 1.2 immediately before my EtherREGEN. It made quite a bit of difference too. I’m sure two EtherREGENs cascaded could be better. . 

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

2 hours ago, sgr said:

How do you have the two ERs connected? A to A, B to A, A to B, or B to B?

i connected a Ethernet 5 port switch powered by Lps 1.2 immediately before my EtherREGEN. It made quite a bit of difference too. I’m sure two EtherREGENs cascaded could be better. . 

Router --> ER1(A)

ER1(B) --> ER2(A) (That feeds the cleanest signal possible to the second switch)

ER2 (B) --> streamer (The streamer receives a signal twice scrubbed by he moat. Makes a marked difference) 

ER2(A) --> Mac Mini 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

Question: Does reversing the ER to serve two endpoints from the "A" side compromise SQ? These days I cascade from a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP serving the entire house > optical fiber from the router > gigabit SFP cage in Cisco Catalyst 2960 > two Cable Matters cat8 from the 10/100 Cisco, one each to Allo DigiOne endpoint and ER "A" port > EtherREGEN "B" port > Shunyata Venom > Meridian 218 endpoint.

What is the theoretical sonic downside, if any, with the Cisco cascading into ER "B" and both endpoints on "A"? Each has metal RJ45s connected to shielding, I believe.

I know that the answer is "listen for yourself" which I will do, and report on, but I'm curious about any technical theories.