IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

On 4/30/2020 at 4:45 PM, ray-dude said:

Great report, thank you for posting!  I've been doing similar experiments over the last couple weeks.  In my chain, an LPS 1.2 on my EdgeRouter 10X had a surprisingly positive impact.

what voltage did you run the lps 1.2 at?

fyi------mine is edgerouterX-SFP and comes with a 24v, 2.5A wall wart power supply.

says it support 9v-26v input and has a 5W maximum power consumption.

not sure why a 60W supply is needed for a 5W comsumption, on the other hand we know that oversized power supplies often have benefits due to the ability to provide peaks.

assume i'll run it at 12v to get maximum 12W out of the lps 1.2

On 4/30/2020 at 5:38 PM, Mike Rubin said:

This seems like a smart idea, but my network knowledge is rudimentary.  These probably are dumb questions, but I gotta ask, since I was gifted an edge router that still is sitting in a box because I don't know how to add it to my system.

(1).  Do the two routers have different 192.168.x.1 addresses? 

(2).  If they do, how does the fios router reserve the edge router's address? 

(3).  With the edge router, do you turn off dhcp and just assign a fixed address to the Rendu?  

1.  yes, i set the edgerouterX statically to 192.168.1.21 so it wouldn't conflict with my fios router.

2.  i picked a static address not used elsewhere

3.  absolutely, you don't want two dhcp servers fighting.  Rendu's IP was already statically assigned by fios router.

the key is to change the edgerouterX default IP address before putting it on the network.

i set my laptop to a static IP address, connected only to edgerouterX, logged in to 192.168.1.1 and changed the edgerouterX's

default IP address.  then put edgerouterX on my home network.

On 4/30/2020 at 6:40 PM, David A said:

Looking at your diagrams, I can't see why you chose to add the Edge Router. I can understand the thinking in relation to separating the server from the rest of the network though I wouldn't have expected it to make a significant difference. Having said that, I've had too many experiences since getting into computer audio of finding that things I never expected to make a significant difference have actually made a significant difference so I'm not doubting your report of an improvement with the change.

My point in asking, however, is that if separating your server from the 24 port switch connected to the rest of the network was the goal, why not simply use another ethernet switch to do that instead of a second router? A router does a lot of extra things that a switch doesn't do, so more complex circuitry, more going on, and potentially could generate more noise than a switch would generate. You really only need one router in the network but that router can connect to more than one switch. The simplest approach would seem to be to use a switch rather than a router to connect the audio system to the Fios router rather than using a second router to do so. If you noticed an improvement in sound quality when you introduced the Edge router, then you should see at least the same improvement if you simply used a switch instead of the Edge router and you might actually see a little bit more improvement if the switch is a little less noisy electrically than the Edge router.

Do you have a spare 5 or 8 port switch, preferably an unmanaged switch, lying around? If you do, try swapping it for the Edge router and see whether that makes a difference.

As an example of the approach I'm suggesting, in my own network I have 3 switches connected to my router. One switch connects to my Mac and some peripherals, another switch connects my AV system (a separate system to my audio system, and the 3rd switch is actually my EtherREGEN with the router and my Roon Nucleus+ server connected to the A side and my Devialet amplifier which has its own internal DAC and an ethernet port for streaming input connected to the B side. 

i think we are in agreement.

since i turn off the dhcp server in the edgerouterX, i guess(?) it is effectively working as a switch (though i'm not deep into routing so i'm not sure).  the edgerouterX is less than $100 and was highly regarded on some other forums so i went for it.

i guess it also gives me the option to do things like use optical, QoS settings, etc -- that may or may not be useful in the future.

my next step is to get rid of the wall wart switching power supply and see what that does for me.......however, one of my tube monoblocks just blew a fuse, so testing may be delayed (or i'll move testing to my headphones :) )

cat6man and Mike:

You gents are wandering a bit off topic for this thread... 9_9

A quick update:

In the past 7 days ALL the EtherREGEN orders promised for May 5th shipment were again shipped out early! (We are getting good at this. :D) Not a one left on the shelf.

Another 250 circuit boards are due to arrive late-May, but I blew it and did not order more aluminum cases early enough. Due to Japanese Golden Week holiday and Covid-19 slowdown, the cases will not arrive to us until June 25th, so we are promising new EtherREGEN orders for shipment by July 7th.  Maybe we will get lucky and the cases will arrive sooner (our supplier often ships early, though this time I don't know).

Hope everyone enjoys a lovely spring weekend--even if stuck not being able to socialize in person during these unsettled and tragic times.

All the best,

--Alex C.

3 minutes ago, Superdad said:

cat6man and Mike:

You gents are wandering a bit off topic for this thread... 9_9

--Alex C.

sorry, i thought this was relevant to listening impressions and how to make the etherRegen sound even better!

we can take the router setup details offline :) but i thought the improvement to the already excellent eR was worth discussing here

be well and stay safe everyone!

On 5/1/2020 at 5:50 PM, cat6man said:

mine is edgerouterX-SFP and comes with a 24v, 2.5A wall wart power supply.

says it support 9v-26v input and has a 5W maximum power consumption.

not sure why a 60W supply is needed for a 5W comsumption, on the other hand we know that oversized power supplies often have benefits due to the ability to provide peaks.

I use the same Ubiquiti router with a TeraDak 24V 2.5A lps replacing the wall wart. My plan to simply run fiber from its SFP cage to the ER got upended when I tried a Cisco 2960 switch in between the two, which I like better.  EdgeRouter X SFP > optical fiber > Cisco Catalyst > Cable Matters cat8 > EtherREGEN

@Ixgreen maybe taking the LPS from the router to put it on the Etherregen was neutral. Did you critically listen after you took it from the router or before ?

I've just had my first listen to Redbook and up streaming on my system at the weekend taking a free tidal trial, very nice uptick

Previously I was just listening to Spotify premium and you tube. My digital amp converts all audio to 24bit 96khz. In my system adding the ER gave more performance gain than subsequently going from Spotify to tidal. I use a through the power line Ethernet solution to get to the hifi and I suspect this is significant for me as to the Etherregen performance gains.

6 minutes ago, lxgreen said:

I agree, the EtherRegen was an improvement to my system. It was just that using an LPS didn’t improve sq over the supplied power supply. I did listen critically prior to installing LPS, after installing, and then finally after switching back to supplied ps.

Or perhaps that LPS. I use a Sean Jacobs  custom LPS on my EtherRegen and it made a very big difference. Noting subtle at all.

19 minutes ago, MartinT said:

My system is as shown in my signature and the diagram.  The EtherREGEN is inserted between my TP-Link 4G router and the Asus Tinker Board S single board computer running Volumio.  The feed into the A side is via an Acoustic Revive RLI-1 LAN isolator and 3m MeiCord ethernet cable. 

Perhaps you are pleased enough to just leave it as is now, but you might try removing the LAN isolator.  I ended up taking mine out of the chain.  Just a thought....

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

49 minutes ago, PYP said:

Perhaps you are pleased enough to just leave it as is now, but you might try removing the LAN isolator.  I ended up taking mine out of the chain.  Just a thought....

Thanks, I will try that out once the sound has really settled down.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

@Jud OTOH, with the EtherREGEN and a Transparent Audio Ethernet cable out the B-side, the sound is so fantastic I can listen with eyes open and feel the emotion as if my eyes were closed or I were in a darkened room!

But I still do prefer a darker environment as I believe our brains are too wired for sight. There's some research about plasticity and how even a little bit of light reaching the eyes will cause our brains to bias for sight rather than amp up other senses like hearing. Seems reasonable. Anyway, what an glorious time to have such affordable hi-res gear!

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

I've read several posts where a quite a few pieces of hardware are connected to the system between the music source and the DAC. Some are connected before the Ether Regen and some after the ER?  

It seems to me that the sonic benefits from the Ether Regen are derived from reducing the noise floor of incoming noise carried on the ethernet cable.  (I'm ignorant about what the clock does) Could adding more hardware with its accompanying electrical power supplies between the ER and the DAC introduce another source of contamination, thus defeating the benefits of the ER?.   

BTW, I should note that in addition to the amazing increase in SQ from the ER, I also heard an improvement from the ER when I replaced a generic ethernet cable on the 'B' side of the ER with a better quality ethernet cable (1 meter of Cable Matters SFTP Cat8 Ethernet Cable). Thanks to the Uptone community for that Amazon recommendation.

12 minutes ago, audiojerry said:

I've read several posts where a quite a few pieces of hardware are connected to the system between the music source and the DAC. Some are connected before the Ether Regen and some after the ER?

Hi Jerry: Glad to know you are enjoying the EtherREGEN so much. :D

In general, and in agreement with our guidelines and the technology itself, most people who have the EtherREGEN--even in chains with other network switches, etc.--find it is best to have the EtherREGEN be the last element, directly connected to whatever is their DAC-attached computer/streamer/renderer endpoint (or best of all, Ethernet-input-equipped DAC).

That seems to be the case even fo those using a certain other brand 2.6x the price switch, and I think this says something about the quality of isolation and upstream clock signature blocking that the EtherREGEN does. 9_9

It seems to me that the sonic benefits from the Ether Regen are derived from reducing the noise floor of incoming noise carried on the ethernet cable.  (I'm ignorant about what the clock does).

Please do take a look at our fairly clear 'white paper' to get a better sense of why clocking of packet data interfaces can end up having an effect on the DAC.

Could adding more hardware with its accompanying electrical power supplies between the ER and the DAC introduce another source of contamination, thus defeating the benefits of the ER?.

I think it depends upon the qualities such upstream devices, including their ground connections and power supplies. The EtherREGEN is pretty good a blocking a lot of things, but based on feedback from those with amazing ears/systems and time to play with it all, variables upstream still make a difference--for better or worse...

BTW, I should note that in addition to the amazing increase in SQ from the ER, I also heard an improvement from the ER when I replaced a generic ethernet cable on the 'B' side of the ER with a better quality ethernet cable (1 meter of Cable Matters SFTP Cat8 Ethernet Cable). Thanks to the Uptone community for that Amazon recommendation.

Glad you are liking that bargain. All credit goes to others here (@lmitche and others) for sorting through a whole bunch of differently constructed/shielded quality low cost cables. Not something I have had time for (too busy trying to build boxes!), but certainly if a cable is going to be heard it will be that last leg from the 'B' port to the endpoint which will be most important.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend. Don't forget that Sunday is Mother's Day! 

--Alex C.

On 5/8/2020 at 9:27 AM, audiojerry said:

I also heard an improvement from the ER when I replaced a generic ethernet cable on the 'B' side of the ER with a better quality ethernet cable (1 meter of Cable Matters SFTP Cat8 Ethernet Cable). Thanks to the Uptone community for that Amazon recommendation.

I live in France and cannot buy this cable from Amazon, not directly from Cablematters website.

Do you know another source that would ship to France ??