mourip

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

Rate this topic

23 hours ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Thanks for chiming in. I don't yet have the Ravenna card, but I'm considering the Merging Hapi for multichannel and been looking for eR+Hapi users, and I have only found one who, despite doing on 2 channel, said the 100Mbps port didn't work. From your comment I'm guessing that even a Dante card doing 8 channels at 192kHz would have trouble. let alone if doing DSD, which is something I consider down the road with Hapi.

cheers!

You're welcome.

Well 192kHz 24 bit audio uses approx 10-11Mbit/sec per mono channel so 8 mono channels would be theoretically using 80-88Mbit/sec. Whether that capacity usage would cause problems I cannot answer. Perhaps somebody with more technical knowledge might chime in also.

Regards

GG

So the usually open-minded Paul McGowan (of course of PS Audio, a company I have known and respected for decades) just posted a video on YouTube (https://youtu.be/e8LSLB62R64) and in his Ask Paul VLOG (https://www.psaudio.com/askpaul/will-an-ethernet-switch-matter/), assuring viewers that Ethernet switches don't matter in the least to SQ.

This despite the fact that the are at least 40 DirectStream DAC owners enjoying the EtherREGEN, with many reporting that with it they now prefer their DAC's Bridge II Ethernet input over even its USB or even I2S inputs.

It is funny too since Paul, Bascom King, and the late Arnie Nudell all owed and enjoyed our USB REGEN at one time, and Ted Smith has written about the validity of some of @JohnSwenson's postulations regarding how PHY receiver chips are affected by ground-plane perturbations. Ted and John really hit it off at RMAF 2015--the same show where Paul had me insert a USB REGEN while a room full of people listened, and then immediately offered to buy the unit 'cause it was staying for the rest of the show.

And lots of PS Audio LANRover users reported about the benefits of powering the receive end of that USB>Ethernet>USB extender with an UltraCap power supply.

Now Paul does not specifically reference the EtherREGEN in his video, his only product reference is to the SOtM switch. And he likely has read neither the reviews of the EtherREGEN or our 'white paper.'  I was tempted to just let it go, but then I was browsing his other recent videos and came across this one (https://www.psaudio.com/askpaul/can-we-hear-what-is-not-measurable/) where he too puts forth that there are many variables which humans are able to hear but for which the correct correlation test or test gear does not yet exist.

If I was not so swamped with work (15 more JS-2s and 40 more EtherREGENs to build and ship out by April 15th!) I would take the time to compose a polite reply and an offer to send him a unit to audition for himself.  Maybe sometime later.  But perhaps a few of you EtherREGEN (and maybe DS DAC-owning) users might wish to offer a counter perspective in the comments section of either the YouTube or AskPaul video postings.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

But perhaps a few of you EtherREGEN (and maybe DS DAC-owning) users might wish to offer a counter perspective in the comments section of either the YouTube or AskPaul video postings.

Done!

If your company doesn't make hifi switches is it any wonder that the leadership of the company has this opinion ..... hes right of course you dont need one but if you are streaming from a cloud you are missing out on sound quality.

Wouldn't it be great if he actually tried one in a system as I'm sure he would hear it.

On 4/2/2020 at 12:49 PM, Superdad said:

So the usually open-minded Paul McGowan (of course of PS Audio, a company I have known and respected for decades) just posted a video on YouTube (https://youtu.be/e8LSLB62R64) and in his Ask Paul VLOG (https://www.psaudio.com/askpaul/will-an-ethernet-switch-matter/), assuring viewers that Ethernet switches don't matter in the least to SQ.

This despite the fact that the are at least 40 DirectStream DAC owners enjoying the EtherREGEN, with many reporting that with it they now prefer their DAC's Bridge II Ethernet input over even its USB or even I2S inputs.

It is funny too since Paul, Bascom King, and the late Arnie Nudell all owed and enjoyed our USB REGEN at one time, and Ted Smith has written about the validity of some of @JohnSwenson's postulations regarding how PHY receiver chips are affected by ground-plane perturbations. Ted and John really hit it off at RMAF 2015--the same show where Paul had me insert a USB REGEN while a room full of people listened, and then immediately offered to buy the unit 'cause it was staying for the rest of the show.

And lots of PS Audio LANRover users reported about the benefits of powering the receive end of that USB>Ethernet>USB extender with an UltraCap power supply.

Now Paul does not specifically reference the EtherREGEN in his video, his only product reference is to the SOtM switch. And he likely has read neither the reviews of the EtherREGEN or our 'white paper.'  I was tempted to just let it go, but then I was browsing his other recent videos and came across this one (https://www.psaudio.com/askpaul/can-we-hear-what-is-not-measurable/) where he too puts forth that there are many variables which humans are able to hear but for which the correct correlation test or test gear does not yet exist.

If I was not so swamped with work (15 more JS-2s and 40 more EtherREGENs to build and ship out by April 15th!) I would take the time to compose a polite reply and an offer to send him a unit to audition for himself.  Maybe sometime later.  But perhaps a few of you EtherREGEN (and maybe DS DAC-owning) users might wish to offer a counter perspective in the comments section of either the YouTube or AskPaul video postings.

Send Paul one ER to try it, that will be the most elegant way to shuzz him

Fully Grounded Audio Room - Topaz 1KVA - OYAIDE outlets - Paul Hynes SR4 19V for Uptone EtherRegen / HDPLEX 200W with Ghent JSSG360 DC, EPS & ATX cables + HDPLEX 800W DCATX + LessLoss Firewall 64x for HDPLEX H5 Fanless ( AMD Ryzen 7 3700X / Asus Rog Strix X470-I / 8GB Apacer Industrial Ram / Optane M10 32GB ) Server - LUSH USB Cable - DENAFRIPS Terminator DAC ) + LessLoss Firewall 64x - Tellurium Ultra Black II XLR & Speaker Cables - KINKI EX-M1 Integrated - PMC Twenty5 26 speakers. ( Power Cords LessLoss DFPC Signature )

Euphony ( Roon + StylusEp )

On 4/3/2020 at 5:49 AM, Superdad said:

So the usually open-minded Paul McGowan (of course of PS Audio, a company I have known and respected for decades) just posted a video on YouTube

Some of his opinions i agree with on various topics and some I do not. What I disagree with is stating his conclusion (whether I agree with it or not) as absolute fact.

With Ethernet switches he comes down on the side of absolutely not making a difference. He then goes on to state that "noise" will make a difference but doesn't discuss Ethernet switch related noise🤔

Can a switch improve soundquality  ?

Ones and zeros ?

For me big improvment !

Started with Zyxel consumer grade

Then Aqvox V1

Now Etherregen !

Wow ! 

You can see my review on Page 33. The ER makes a substantial improvement in an otherwise resolving system. I still enjoy sitting down and hearing such a massive improvement brought by the ER. I can literally listen all day.

So, yesterday, for whatever reason I forget, I turned the volume down on my preamp to below 10. Seems as I recall that before the ER that below 10 there was little or no sound, as in music, coming through, or barely audible. Now the music comes through down to nearly 1 on the preamp. I don't have the technical expertise to explain this but to say that the ER removed so much noise the music is now apparent. BTW, fiber was just installed in my neighborhood in the last year and I have 300 mbs service.

The ER works so good, I'm now thinking about the JS-2. I'd like to run my router (ATT-supplied BGW210) and my ER with it. I'm not sure if this a go or a no-no.

Digital: 300 mbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Monoprice Cat 5e from router to ER (stock PS) >  Monoprice Cat 5e to wall > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > MP Cat 5e to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers.

2 hours ago, nounours18200 said:

@Superdad:

One of these units is for me !! 🙂 (ordered from Audiostore in the UK), so I agree: your priority is so build them < LoL...

I am an engineer, I have been working in IT for decades and I have a "high end" system... I perform a lot of audio devices reviews for my website (I do not give its URL because it is not my objective) so when I first read that a switch can make a difference, I have immediatly thought that it was again a snake, similar to the " best DAC of all times" that wins over the previous "best DAC of all times" reviewed last month...

But I had a good LPS left in my stock so last week I decided to make a test: just replace the stock SMPS of a secondary switch (my NAS1 and NAS2 are connected on this switch) by this high quality LPS: waouh (!) this is a big improvement...

I perfectly know the differences about other digital stuff including cables, but I did not believe that a switch could make a difference: so I promise you a full review of the EtherREGEN in my high end system when I receive it !

Stay far from the virus !

Looking forward to your impressions ,

I do believe you are in for a treat !

Best  Regards Per Grönqvist Sweden

A fascinating new imaging report on the EtherREGEN has just been posted here:

Do check it out for the high-def images showing improvement in detail in a 4K video system. Very cool! :D

47 minutes ago, Superdad said:

A fascinating new imaging report on the EtherREGEN has just been posted here:

Do check it out for the high-def images showing improvement in detail in a 4K video system. Very cool! :D

As you full well know, Alex, I was so impressed by the visual improvement offered by ER that I purchased a 2nd unit for my HT (Netflix over Mac Mini to my TV).

Cheers! 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

This is to share:

I changed the fuse that came with my PH SR4 which is powering my ER with a HiFi SUPREME Cu SLOW SMALL 1A Fuse that i had on the cellar...

All i can say OH MY GOD, i really can't understand how could this be....the fuse ?

Fully Grounded Audio Room - Topaz 1KVA - OYAIDE outlets - Paul Hynes SR4 19V for Uptone EtherRegen / HDPLEX 200W with Ghent JSSG360 DC, EPS & ATX cables + HDPLEX 800W DCATX + LessLoss Firewall 64x for HDPLEX H5 Fanless ( AMD Ryzen 7 3700X / Asus Rog Strix X470-I / 8GB Apacer Industrial Ram / Optane M10 32GB ) Server - LUSH USB Cable - DENAFRIPS Terminator DAC ) + LessLoss Firewall 64x - Tellurium Ultra Black II XLR & Speaker Cables - KINKI EX-M1 Integrated - PMC Twenty5 26 speakers. ( Power Cords LessLoss DFPC Signature )

Euphony ( Roon + StylusEp )