mourip

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

Rate this topic

20 hours ago, flkin said:

I used the sPS-500 through a HPULN 5A cleaner, and a Gophert CPS-1610 II through double HPULN 1.5A. Also a 30W, 9V zerozone. And the including switching unit. 

No configurations managed to tame the treble. Within my specific system.

May I ask where your ER is installed. I found that having it near my Streamer DAC/Pre-Amp and their power supplies in particular (separate on my system) resulted in a more dynamic, less fluid and more brittle treble

6 hours ago, PYP said:

I have had some issues with the the high frequencies too.  Currently trying an UpTone JS-2 LPS.  Have had it for only three days, so too early to judge its full potential, but it is already clear that an excellent LPS is needed in some systems for natural HF (mine being one).  My DAC, purchased about 1 year ago, doesn't limit the HF energy.  Once the DAC settled in, the HF sounded close to perfect (to my ears), yet something was not quite right.  Adding diffusers was the remedy, therefore I'm also considering additional room treatments now that I have the eR.   

Good luck with your experiment.  

About room treatments: I just bought/used Sonarworks and now I know exactly where I need some room treatments, if my wife allows me. It’s also possible that you don’t need it anymore, because Sonarworks can correct your speaker output to a certain level,

It might also be worth pointing out that high frequencies were a bit brittle and harsh when my EtherRegens were new but that this significantly improved as it burnt it, becoming more detailed, nuanced and textured. They are not harsh at all. Around 100 hours was the first turning point.

7 minutes ago, louawalters said:

@Superdad is there any guidance for when the Feb shipment will go out?   I am in Canada and anxiously awaiting the ER 😉

Thanks for your patience. I generally post updates regarding expected ship dates in this official thread:

And the web page for the products are always updated.  We have been quoting February 26th for a while now.  The boards are all here, programmed, tested, and with heat sinks attached.

The aluminum cases may arrive a few days late, so it will be a big push to get all units built and shipped by the 26th. With luck we will get all February-promised units out by Friday the 28th. Our clients know that I pull out all the stops to meet expectations. Most always we ship earlier than promised, but once in a while there are factors beyond our control. 9_9

Dear 1½ - I don’t know about your setup because I haven’t been keeping up. But I found that oversampling in HQ Player had a dramatic effect on my system, taming the digital artefacts that manifested themselves as pre/post ringing and treble harshness. I have a DAC that accepts DSD128 so that it what I am upsampling to. Hope this helps, Nikko

5 hours ago, Puma Cat said:

Alex and John at Uptone Audio are to be congratulated for their groundbreaking EtherREGEN and the excellent review at Hans Beekhuzen's YouTube channel. 

Hans says it like it is, and has considerable credibility in the audiophile community. 

Well done, guys! 

Hans prises digital and power cables, and thus carries little credibility with me. His fondness to the Allo products is also misplaced, in my opinion. Nevertheless, he hits it on the nail with the ER. (I was surprised he wasn't prejudiced by the higher retail price of the SotM switch, which he demoted to 2nd place) . 

[ AERIS G2 ] => [ MC3+USB x 3 <- -REF10 ] => [ Genelec 8341 x 2 + 7360 x 2 ]

[ Switchable to  [ Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350 ]

7 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

and has considerable credibility in the audiophile community

He doesn't have credibility among people who actually know stuff. He has proven his technical incompetence more than once. Often just parrots what he hears from manufacturers without actually understanding it.
If you like his subjective reviews that's fine, but don't award him points where he doesn't deserve them. Personally, I wouldn't trust his reviews any more than I would those of any average listener.

And just to be clear: none of the above is a comment on the ER, as I haven't heard one.

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Kii Control>Audiolense DRC>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

39 minutes ago, firedog said:

He doesn't have credibility among people who actually know stuff. He has proven his technical incompetence more than once. Often just parrots what he hears from manufacturers without actually understanding it.
If you like his subjective reviews that's fine, but don't award him points where he doesn't deserve them. Personally, I wouldn't trust his reviews any more than I would those of any average listener.

And just to be clear: none of the above is a comment on the ER, as I haven't heard one.

OMG, people theses days have difficulties following even a simple thread. 

Those are Puma's words that you quoted and assigned to me:

"and has considerable credibility in the audiophile community"

I actually cast aspirations at Hans's creditability:

"Hans praises digital and power cables, and thus carries little credibility with me." 

[ AERIS G2 ] => [ MC3+USB x 3 <- -REF10 ] => [ Genelec 8341 x 2 + 7360 x 2 ]

[ Switchable to  [ Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350 ]

7 hours ago, vhs said:

Hi all,

Addition of Uptone eR to the signal chain of my CAS system is one of the major improvement of SQ so far.

1215620462_UptoneER_Vivaldi_Mutec_Troy.thumb.jpg.5da18bef8fef8af1ff7d6101c5e55096.jpg

Signal Chain:

Roon Server -> (13m Supra Cat8) -> eR (Port A) -> eR (Port B) -> (1.5m Pachanko Ethernet "Aphelion") -> dCS Vivaldi Upsampler

Uptone eR:

1. External Clock: Mutec REF10 SE-120

2. Clock Cable: Acoustic Revive COX-1.0TripleC-FM-BNC (1m)

3. Power Supply: Uptone JS-2 (12v)

4. DC Cable: Pachanko Server LPSU (1m)

5. Ground box: Tripoint Troy Signature BLK

6. Ground Cable: Tripoint Signature Silver (2m)

Thank you for your innovation, Alex Crespi ! 😃

How would you describe with/without REF10?

Roon server (Mac Mini/i7/SSD/16GB/Uptone DC mod/external SDD via firewire/Uptone Audio JS-2 LPS) Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Cables CAT6 UTP ethernet, Transparent premium AES/EBU, Nordost Leif Red Dawn analog RCA, Kimber 8TC speaker cables, custom star-quad power cables with Oyaide termination Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) | Audio-technica ATH-M50 Software High Sierra | Roon | Tidal | Qobuz Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, 0.0001pf, balanced) | Vibex one 6R power distributor | Uptone EtherREGEN | Emo Systems EN-70HD network isolator | Jensen CI-1RR isolator

20 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

How would you describe with/without REF10?

eR with Ref10 SE-120 : more natural, better clarity and musicality, and darker background.

dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - La Sound Olympia PC, Tara Labs Zero Evo AES; dCS Vivaldi DAC - Siltech Double Crown PC - Tara Labs 30LE XLR; dCS Vivaldi Clock - Shunyata Sigma Digital PC - Canare 12g-SDI BNC; Mutec Ref10 SE-120 - Shunyata Sigma Digital PC - AR Cox Triple C BNC; Roon Server / Uptone EtherRegen / Uptone JS-2 / Pachanko Ethernet "Itération"; Spectral DMC-30SS MKii - Siltech Double Crown PC - Nordost Tyr2 XLR; Spectral DMC-360 MKii - Tiglon 2000A PC - AR RTP6 Abs. - Transparent Reference G5 spk cable; Rockport Atria MKi, Shunyata Triton V2 + Typhon - Sigma HC PC, Thixar SMD Ultimate Rack + CMS Platinum MKiii

https://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=124319&extra=page=1