IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

4 hours ago, TwinPeak said:

If you (as I am) are obsessed with female voices, you aught to listen to norwegian vocalist Kari Bremnes. Choose her 24/96 recordings when streaming or downloading. With EtherREGEN in the system, she is an absolute joy to listen to.
BTW - I have a new USB-cable connected from DAC to my Mac Mini: CAD USB-1 - and it's delivering the goods to an overwhelming degree 🙂

Thanks for sharing this magnificent discovery, INCREDIBLE both in musicality and quality of recording 👌

Was looking to try moving my music server (Innuos MKII SE) to the A side of the ER since it is of course a noisy computer at heart (although one very well executed) and wanted to move it pre moat. This did force me from USB to Ethernet. Ran this experiment last weekend:

Before: Network>Ghent JSSG360 Cat6a>ER (A Side)>Ghent JSSG360 Cat6a (ER B Side)>Innuos MKII SE>Lush II>tX-USBultra/Uptone LPS 1.2>Lush I>PS Audio DS Sr

After: Network>Ghent JSSG360 Cat6a>ER (A Side)>Ghent JSSG360 Cat6a (ER A Side)>Innuos MKII SE>Wireworld Starlight Cat8 (ER B Side)>PS Audio DS Sr (I did have to move the ER off it's normal isolation setup (Herbie's/weight) to do this)

Initial impressions were:

After: A little more polite, slightly better separation/soundstage. Softer

Before: Music had more weight, seemed more musical. Fuller

I need to run this experiment again with a new Ghent I have on order in place of the Wireworld so I don't have to move the ER and can go back & forth more easily.

I also have a Matrix X-SPDIF 2 via I2S I need to try at some point

Curious to hear feedback from anyone with a similar USB setup who has moved their server to the A side and changed to ethernet

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

8 hours ago, FrankMA said:

Curious to hear feedback from anyone with a similar USB setup who has moved their server to the A side and changed to ethernet

So many variables that it might be tough to draw any conclusions from anyone else.  Cables themselves can be enough to swing things in a particular direction.

Interesting that you have a Lush 1 following a Lush 2 in the before configuration.  I found the Lush 2 to be a lot better than the Lush 1 so I would have thought to put it just after the txUSB.      

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Hi Kenny - there was a wide variety of opinions where to put the Lush II.  Some said best before txUSB. Where I landed but certainly one of 1000 variables

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

9 minutes ago, FrankMA said:

Hi Kenny - there was a wide variety of opinions where to put the Lush II.  Some said best before txUSB. Where I landed but certainly one of 1000 variables

Just 1000?  Haha

Usually the theory that what’s lost can’t be later restored holds true.  But with a device like the txUSB regenerating the signal, I would think the best cable last would be the way to go.  With the PhoenixUSB, my dealer found a strong preference for the much better cable coming after it, for example.  But like you said, lots of variables.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

13 hours ago, FrankMA said:

I need to run this experiment again with a new Ghent I have on order in place of the Wireworld so I don't have to move the ER and can go back & forth more easily.

I too will be interested as I had found whenever mixing different brands of Ethernet cables the results were often poor.  Mixing WireWorld with AudioQuest was a particular mess, probably due to different design approaches.  Same happened when I initially experimented with the new Shunyata cables.  When I was able to use all Shunyata everything else paled in comparison.  This stuff is so unexpectedly complex in what gets delivered to our ears/brains 😱

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

I've had my ER in the system for a month or so.  I made a number of changes to my system as I installed a new DAC and usb cable (Sablon Reserva Elite 2020 model- killer cable and highly recommended!) at the same time I installed the ER. 

Swapping the ER in and out of the system, I am hearing more detail, a larger, more expansive sound stage (depth, width, height), better laying/separation of individual instruments, increased transparency, and more of the "musicians are in your room" (i.e. it sounds more natural/real) with the ER installed in the chain.  The thing is, it seems that in my experience, whenever I install a new component or accessory, I look for those types of sonic improvements and when a change is deemed a "success" for me, I will get improvements in one or more of the areas noted above, without any corresponding negatives.  It is a big bonus when all of these sonic improvements are provided with just one component or accessory.  Fortunately for me, the ER, Sablon USB and Terminator all did this. 

I have read a couple of the reviews in this thread, but for the most part I have avoided reading the impressions in this thread to attempt to avoid influence.  I assume my sonic impressions are likely what others are hearing as well so my report is not likely to be earth-shattering news.  Very happy with my purchase.    

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

11 minutes ago, Blake said:

I assume my sonic impressions are likely what others are hearing as well so my report is not likely to be earth-shattering news.  Very happy with my purchase.    

Hi Blake: That's great, thanks!

Just a heads up--there will be some surprises published tomorrow morning...

3 hours ago, Blake said:

Swapping the ER in and out of the system, I am hearing more detail, a larger, more expansive sound stage (depth, width, height), better laying/separation of individual instruments, increased transparency, and more of the "musicians are in your room" (i.e. it sounds more natural/real) with the ER installed in the chain.  The thing is, it seems that in my experience, whenever I install a new component or accessory, I look for those types of sonic improvements and when a change is deemed a "success" for me, I will get improvements in one or more of the areas noted above, without any corresponding negatives.  It is a big bonus when all of these sonic improvements are provided with just one component or accessory.  Fortunately for me, the ER, Sablon USB and Terminator all did this. 

I also recently re-evaluated the benefits of the ER.  Same conclusion:  very happy with my purchase.  I posted my recent observations in the post that follows.

If you want to test your system to the limit on bass response - with EtherREGEN installed, please give Michael Manring and his record "Soliloque" a try. My favourite is "Selene" (which is a live recording). Good luck 🙂

UpTone JS-2 LPS x 2 > Mac Mini (UpTone MMK/JS-2 LPS) > Cisco 2960 > EtherRegen 1 (1.2 LPS) > EtherRegen 2 (1.2 LPS) > OpticalModule (JS-2 LPS) > OpticalRendu (JS-2 LPS) > Denafrips Hermes DDC (i2S) > Denafrips Pontus II R2R DAC > Conrad Johnson Tube Preamp > Denafrips Hyperion Amp > SoundLab Dynastat speakers // CABLES:  Ghent Audio (JSSG360) / Sablon Audio / Tubulus Argentus / AudioQuest / PS Audio / Transparent

Austinpop's review is up

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

On 3/10/2020 at 8:59 AM, TwinPeak said:

If you want to test your system to the limit on bass response - with EtherREGEN installed, please give Michael Manring and his record "Soliloque" a try. My favourite is "Selene" (which is a live recording). Good luck 🙂

Have always liked him.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

May I also recommend "A Way With Words" from Robert Plant's "Carry Fire," and "Cry On My Shoulder" from Bonnie Raitt's "Nick Of Time." (I find several of her albums that I own to be surprisingly well produced, something I never really remarked before.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

As an aside, I have an SGC 7v 15w power supply that I got with my Ultrarendu that I am not using. Will it work with the EtherRegen? I’m stuck at home for the next few weeks with my grand kids and need something to take my mind off of things. I hope everyone gets thru this situation in good health. 
steve 

2 minutes ago, Sfine0 said:

As an aside, I have an SGC 7v 15w power supply that I got with my Ultrarendu that I am not using. Will it work with the EtherRegen? I’m stuck at home for the next few weeks with my grand kids and need something to take my mind off of things. I hope everyone gets thru this situation in good health. 
steve 

I tried the SGC 15w 7v with the ER. Most of the time it failed to keep the ER up after a couple of hours. My experience is that this lps is not powerfull enough for the ER. I had to go for the SGC 50W.

1 minute ago, Sfine0 said:

As an aside, I have an SGC 7v 15w power supply that I got with my Ultrarendu that I am not using. Will it work with the EtherRegen?

Technically it should be fine Mr. Fine. 9_9  At 7V the EtherREGEN draws about 1.3A, so that's just 9.1W.  But Andrew gets those little supplies from China and I've measured a bunch of similar small Chinese LPS units that were not able to deliver anywhere near their rated current. So you can give it a try, but do keep an eye on it. And if you have any trouble, switch back. 

1 minute ago, Sfine0 said:

I’m stuck at home for the next few weeks with my grand kids and need something to take my mind off of things. I hope everyone gets thru this situation in good health. 
steve 

Thanks Steve. Hope you stay healthy too.

Just got done cancelling our long-planned (and long-needed) week-long ski vacation to Whistler in Canada with friends. Was supposed to start next Friday. We would almost go, but my wife's business (environmental education for school kids in Yosemite Natl. Park) is majorly impacted by Covid-19. She is having to furlough most of her 65 person staff--herself included. Seems like a good time for vacation, but it is just the wrong week.

6 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Technically it should be fine Mr. Fine. 9_9  At 7V the EtherREGEN draws about 1.3A, so that's just 9.1W.  But Andrew gets those little supplies from China and I've measured a bunch of similar small Chinese LPS units that were not able to deliver anywhere near their rated current. So you can give it a try, but do keep an eye on it. And if you have any trouble, switch back. 

Alex,

I did the same math as you when I tried the SGC 15w 7v on the ER, but scratched my head trying to understand why this lps systematically failed to correctly power the ER after a couple of hours. Reading your post, I now understand better...