IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

7 minutes ago, louawalters said:

@Superdad is there any guidance for when the Feb shipment will go out?   I am in Canada and anxiously awaiting the ER 😉

Thanks for your patience. I generally post updates regarding expected ship dates in this official thread:

And the web page for the products are always updated.  We have been quoting February 26th for a while now.  The boards are all here, programmed, tested, and with heat sinks attached.

The aluminum cases may arrive a few days late, so it will be a big push to get all units built and shipped by the 26th. With luck we will get all February-promised units out by Friday the 28th. Our clients know that I pull out all the stops to meet expectations. Most always we ship earlier than promised, but once in a while there are factors beyond our control. 9_9

Dear 1½ - I don’t know about your setup because I haven’t been keeping up. But I found that oversampling in HQ Player had a dramatic effect on my system, taming the digital artefacts that manifested themselves as pre/post ringing and treble harshness. I have a DAC that accepts DSD128 so that it what I am upsampling to. Hope this helps, Nikko

7 hours ago, vhs said:

Hi all,

Addition of Uptone eR to the signal chain of my CAS system is one of the major improvement of SQ so far.

1215620462_UptoneER_Vivaldi_Mutec_Troy.thumb.jpg.5da18bef8fef8af1ff7d6101c5e55096.jpg

Signal Chain:

Roon Server -> (13m Supra Cat8) -> eR (Port A) -> eR (Port B) -> (1.5m Pachanko Ethernet "Aphelion") -> dCS Vivaldi Upsampler

Uptone eR:

1. External Clock: Mutec REF10 SE-120

2. Clock Cable: Acoustic Revive COX-1.0TripleC-FM-BNC (1m)

3. Power Supply: Uptone JS-2 (12v)

4. DC Cable: Pachanko Server LPSU (1m)

5. Ground box: Tripoint Troy Signature BLK

6. Ground Cable: Tripoint Signature Silver (2m)

Thank you for your innovation, Alex Crespi ! 😃

How would you describe with/without REF10?

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

20 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

How would you describe with/without REF10?

eR with Ref10 SE-120 : more natural, better clarity and musicality, and darker background.

dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - Siltech Double Crown PC, Tara Labs Zero Evo AES; dCS Vivaldi DAC - Siltech Double Crown PC - Tara Labs Zero Evo XLR; dCS Vivaldi Clock - Siltech Double Crown PC - Viard Platinum BNC; Mutec Ref10 SE-120 - Shunyata Sigma Digital PC - AR Cox Triple C BNC; Music Server - La Sound Olympia PC; Spectral DMC-30SS MKii - Crystal Ultimate Dream PC; Spectral DMC-400RS - Tiglon 2000A PC - AR RTP6 Abs. - Transparent Reference G5 spk cable; Rockport Atria MKi, Shunyata Triton V2 + Typhon - Sigma HC PC, Thixar SMD Ultimate Rack + CMS Platinum MKiii / Tripoint Troy Signature BLK

https://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=124319&extra=page=1

28 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi David:

Nice to see you around these parts! How are things down under? Guess it is going to take a LONG time for your country to recover from this fire season. Living in California we have had some rough years recently, but nothing on the scale that you folks got.

Hope you are still enjoying your EtherREGEN.

Best,

--Alex C.

Hi Alex,

I'm still enjoying the EtherREGEN, probably more so as time goes on and that's saying something. I think what's proving the biggest thing for me is the way it's changed how I listen to music. I've always liked being able to follow individual performers in the music so I guess in some ways you could say that I tended to pay more attention to the trees and not so much to the forest. I'm finding myself being captured by the way the sound of the performers works together and the sense of ensemble in the performance so I'm finding myself paying more attention to the forest than I used to. I can still follow individual performers as easily as before but the performance as a whole just seems to sound more cohesive to me. The changes in different aspects of the overall sound quality have become less obvious to me as I've become used to the sound but that sense of increased musical coherence seems to keep drawing itself to my attention and that's a very nice thing. John and you have done a great job.

As for Australia, well the good news is that the rains came and that seems to have extinguished most of the fires. The bad news is that the rains came and a lot of areas got flooding problems as a result. I'm lucky because neither the fires nor the flooding have been an issue here in Brisbane where I am though we did get some bad smoke haze from fires close to here very early in the season before the worst fires which were all much further south. It's going to take a very long time to recover, especially in farming areas with tree based crops where replanting is required and it will take years for new trees to start to bear fruit. Rebuilding houses and in some cases towns will also take a long time because there's so much work that there's going to be large backlogs of jobs awaiting for the builders who are going to do that work.

On 2/23/2020 at 10:42 AM, Ponkbutler said:

Talking about the JS-2 does anyone have any recommendations from their own listening experience of JS-2 or LPS1.2 to power the EtherRegen in preference to the rather good SMPS supplied?

Yes! JS-2 in my case.

I advise you to read back in this and/or other ER threads, a lot has already been written about it.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

Perhaps its appropriate to break this topic of Power Supplies for the Er into its own thread.  If someone could go thru and pull all those

posts together, that would be great.  I realize that this takes time away from the forward going effort to procure, organize, and fabricate the parts for new ER's.  Perhaps someone with the necessary skills would want to volunteer to do that.  I don;t have the skills myself, but I would be a candidate for purchasing an external ps for my ER.  One problem is that Uptone/Alex/John has done a very good job of designing the SMPS that comes with the ER.  

44 minutes ago, bailyhill said:

Perhaps its appropriate to break this topic of Power Supplies for the Er into its own thread.  If someone could go thru and pull all those

posts together, that would be great.  I realize that this takes time away from the forward going effort to procure, organize, and fabricate the parts for new ER's.  Perhaps someone with the necessary skills would want to volunteer to do that.  I don;t have the skills myself, but I would be a candidate for purchasing an external ps for my ER.  One problem is that Uptone/Alex/John has done a very good job of designing the SMPS that comes with the ER.  

The stock SMPS is not an Uptone design.