Jump to content
IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions


Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I posted them simply because he ranked us well above a pair of the other expensive switch and enjoyed our modest unit in his mega-system. Even though he used it in an odd way.

 

I did not realize that the cables came with the M12 Gold. I saw JCAT selling Telegartner cables for 1,100 Euros each.  

So about US$4,600 for M12 with two cables.  A bargain. Though I guess one needs to add a power supply?  Wish someone would show the actual circuitry of that industrial switch. It was not expressly designed as a piece for audio, so I wonder what Telegartner's design goals were for it originally.


The M12 Gold comes with a dedicated low noise power supply. As you may be aware, the design and science of the switch and the connectors originate from industrial networks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ponkbutler said:


And how do you find it compares with the stock SMPS? Also, are you earthing the ER with it?

The differences are minute with the LPS 1.2 compared to the stock SMPS. But minute is enough for me to opt for the LPS 1.2. Yes the ER is earthed. I made a special cable for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2020 at 7:32 PM, Superdad said:

I posted them simply because he ranked us well above a pair of the other expensive switch and enjoyed our modest unit in his mega-system. Even though he used it in an odd way.

 

I did not realize that the cables came with the M12 Gold. I saw JCAT selling Telegartner cables for 1,100 Euros each.  

So about US$4,600 for M12 with two cables.  A bargain. Though I guess one needs to add a power supply?  Wish someone would show the actual circuitry of that industrial switch. It was not expressly designed as a piece for audio, so I wonder what Telegartner's design goals were for it originally.

 

Me too! (Though technically it's $640 to about $4,600). :D

 

Yeah, I am not sure if he went copper 'B' port to fiber 'A' port or if he really only used copper 'A' and fiber 'A'.  Maybe I'll write to him or some in that WBF thread will ask for clarification.

 

Funny that you mention that as Hans is receiving today his EtherREGEN unit for test. While I have dealt directly with Hans in the past (he reviewed our original UltraCap LPS-1 and the ISO REGEN), I have way too busy to coordinate reviews, so Joel from our dealer Meta Wave in Sweden took the lead and arranged for Hans (and one other reviewer) to receive an EtherREGEN.

But sooner that that you will see a formal and comprehensive review on the home page here at A/S. Patience please...B|

 

Correction: these are my cables with Telegaertner GOLD connectors. 

 

The M12 SWITCH GOLD comes including 2x Telegaertner cables with M12 X-Coded connector on one side and Telegaertner Gold RJ45 on the other side. These cables cost 700EUR / piece. 

 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Marcin_gps said:

Correction: these are my cables with Telegaertner GOLD connectors. 

 

The M12 SWITCH GOLD comes including 2x Telegaertner cables with M12 X-Coded connector on one side and Telegaertner Gold RJ45 on the other side. These cables cost 700EUR / piece.

 

Hi Marcin:

Thank you for clarifying. So it seems that indeed the setup used by Emile was with extra-cost, special round plug Ethernet cables. Were they yours or the ones that come with the M12 Switch Gold?

In any case, congratulations on the very fine report received for that ultimate set up. We are just happy to be ranked next--at a fraction of the price. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Superdad said:

 

Hi Marcin:

Thank you for clarifying. So it seems that indeed the setup used by Emile was with extra-cost, special round plug Ethernet cables. Were they yours or the ones that come with the M12 Switch Gold?

In any case, congratulations on the very fine report received for that ultimate set up. We are just happy to be ranked next--at a fraction of the price. :)

Thank you!

No extra cost - Emile used the original Telegaertner cables that come with the switch :) 

The extra cost is if one needs more than 2 cables. 

 

Regards, 
Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear you couldn't make the ER work for you flkin.  Over many decades I found myself in the same situation.  I then purchased a tube preamp followed by all tube components in the entire system.  Some people find that inserting only a tube preamp brings the bliss back.  I find rolling different tubes fun.  Good luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, flkin said:

Ok here it goes, something most here wouldn’t like to hear, but it’s my observation in my system. 

 

Over a listening period of 2 months and many different configurations of power supplies, external clocking and Ethernet cables, I’m going to conclude that the EtherRegen isn’t for me. 
 

Yes, the information retrieval is great and so is the imaging and bass control but I’m unable to reduce the harder and treble-centric sound to a level I’m happy with. My initial impression after a week of breaking in was very positive in line with what most here have found - many positive attributes especially improvements to the speed and control of the music but with lengthy listening sessions, I’m experiencing fatigue due to the harder treble.

 

After 2 months, I returned to direct from router to my Pink Faun 2.16x and immediately found relief - like an old comfortable sofa. Bliss and more connection with the music and singers. More emotion and more pulls on my heart strings. For me this matters most, not the analysis of the sound but the emotions imparted. 
 

I’ll keep my EtherRegen as it’s an intriguing device and hope to find a way to incorporate it in the future but in my current setup, it’s not staying in the system. 
 

For reference my signal path is:

 

Orbi satilite -> dCBL-CAT7 -> iso-Cat6-> dCBL-CAT7 -> PF2.16x

 

(the dcblcat7,isocat6,dcblcat7 is a SOtM cable)

 

Added the EtherRegen between the Orbi and the PF. 
 

Tried: A-B, B-A on the EtherRegen, different power supplies for the Orbi and EtherRegen, external OCXO clock and without, different Ethernet cables with different lengths before and after the EtherRegen, metal and plastic Ethernet heads, different cable conduit wrappings with mu-metals, different DC cables, external earthing the EtherRegen or not. 

 

Have you tried the ER without the SOTM dcbl cat7 and without the SOTM dcbl cat6 lan isolator?

 

I obtained the best result without these cables.

 

What I have kept is the 50 cm black, gray and dark gray cables of 50 cm from the SOTM dcbl cat6 SE version to tune with very good results.

 

I use the SOTM black and dark grey in combination with diy SUPRA cat8 and monoprice cat8 and have sold the SOTM dcbl cat 7 and the SOTM dcbl cat6 lan isolator. I have also sold the audioquest cinnamon, carbon and the Vodka

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, flkin said:

Ok here it goes, something most here wouldn’t like to hear, but it’s my observation in my system. 

 

Over a listening period of 2 months and many different configurations of power supplies, external clocking and Ethernet cables, I’m going to conclude that the EtherRegen isn’t for me. 
 

Yes, the information retrieval is great and so is the imaging and bass control but I’m unable to reduce the harder and treble-centric sound to a level I’m happy with. My initial impression after a week of breaking in was very positive in line with what most here have found - many positive attributes especially improvements to the speed and control of the music but with lengthy listening sessions, I’m experiencing fatigue due to the harder treble.

 

After 2 months, I returned to direct from router to my Pink Faun 2.16x and immediately found relief - like an old comfortable sofa. Bliss and more connection with the music and singers. More emotion and more pulls on my heart strings. For me this matters most, not the analysis of the sound but the emotions imparted. 
 

I’ll keep my EtherRegen as it’s an intriguing device and hope to find a way to incorporate it in the future but in my current setup, it’s not staying in the system. 
 

For reference my signal path is:

 

Orbi satilite -> dCBL-CAT7 -> iso-Cat6-> dCBL-CAT7 -> PF2.16x

 

(the dcblcat7,isocat6,dcblcat7 is a SOtM cable)

 

Added the EtherRegen between the Orbi and the PF. 
 

Tried: A-B, B-A on the EtherRegen, different power supplies for the Orbi and EtherRegen, external OCXO clock and without, different Ethernet cables with different lengths before and after the EtherRegen, metal and plastic Ethernet heads, different cable conduit wrappings with mu-metals, different DC cables, external earthing the EtherRegen or not. 

 

Thanks for sharing.

It is interesting that Emile from Taiko Audio also disliked the ER when configured A-B or B-A.

He found the ER best sounding when everything was connected to the A-side.

Did you try this configuration?

BTW, send you PM.

Thanks

 

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, matthias said:

 

Thanks for sharing.

It is interesting that Emile from Taiko Audio also disliked the ER when configured A-B or B-A.

He found the ER best sounding when everything was connected to the A-side.

Did you try this configuration?

BTW, send you PM.

Thanks

 

Matt


Didn’t try all A side yet. Will add this to my todo list. I read about that somewhere and should have tried but forgot. 

 

1 hour ago, Johnnydev said:

 

Have you tried the ER without the SOTM dcbl cat7 and without the SOTM dcbl cat6 lan isolator?

 

I obtained the best result without these cables.

 

What I have kept is the 50 cm black, gray and dark gray cables of 50 cm from the SOTM dcbl cat6 SE version to tune with very good results.

 

I use the SOTM black and dark grey in combination with diy SUPRA cat8 and monoprice cat8 and have sold the SOTM dcbl cat 7 and the SOTM dcbl cat6 lan isolator. I have also sold the audioquest cinnamon, carbon and the Vodka

 


Yes I tried without the SoTM cables but I only have Ghent, Blue Jean, Supra and other SoTM ethernet cables at hand. No higher end ones. Didn’t seem to help enough. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, flkin said:

...different configurations of power supplies, ...I’m unable to reduce the harder and treble-centric sound to a level I’m happy with. ....fatigue due to the harder treble.

Thanks for an interesting report @flkin. I find the ER applies a magnifying glass to every aspect of sound quality exposing any flaws in recording quality. I'm curious which power supplies you used with your ER? I have settled on a Ciunas Supercaps 7.5v supply which really helps with a smoother treble. As always system dependent...

ATL DC Blocker > Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > Sine SA5 Cryo 5 power strip > EtherRegen switch powered with Ciunas Supercaps 7.5v LPS > Laufer Mini Memory Player> EC Designs U192 USB Transport plus Fractal DAC > Decware SE84UFO3 Mono Amps > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors. PH SR4 & Ian Canada UConditioner Ultracap 5V power supplies. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 8:10 AM, tapatrick said:

Thanks for an interesting report @flkin. I find the ER applies a magnifying glass to every aspect of sound quality exposing any flaws in recording quality. I'm curious which power supplies you used with your ER? I have settled on a Ciunas Supercaps 7.5v supply which really helps with a smoother treble. As always system dependent...

I used the sPS-500 through a HPULN 5A cleaner, and a Gophert CPS-1610 II through double HPULN 1.5A. Also a 30W, 9V zerozone. And the including switching unit. 
No configurations managed to tame the treble. Within my specific system.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@flkin, thank you for the post and diligence in finding the best method to suit your ear. Am trying to find a reason why the treble is not the best. It is known from galvanically seperate devices like the iGalvanic, the treble is a victim of creating false noise as well as removing USB noise from the source.

Consider then, the hard treble is already present in the system, somehwere, let's start from the PF to the DAC. It's not present when the EtherRegen is installed since the effect is masked by the cables and to a certain degree common mode noise (aka leakage currents) from what's already being contributed by the other components. It's great to see star earthing, every bit helps.

When the EtherRegen is added, that path that allows the masking is gone, and you then hear the bad treble. To confirm, you could replace the Habst USB cable with a USB printer cable. If the treble is worse (and most likely all other sounds will be), then you've tracked a noise source.

I am really leaning toward that the EtherRegen is doing it's job and there's a problem in a section of the rest of the system and agree with @Guidof but more in the digital chain. The clue was no matter what PSU you used for the EtherRegen, the hard treble was always present, since the EtherRegen is agnostic to its power supply.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, flkin said:


 

I used the sPS-500 through a HPULN 5A cleaner, and a Gophert CPS-1610 II through double HPULN 1.5A. Also a 30W, 9V zerozone. And the including switching unit. 
 

No configurations managed to tame the treble. Within my specific system.

 

May I ask where your ER is installed. I found that having it near my Streamer DAC/Pre-Amp and their power supplies in particular (separate on my system) resulted in a more dynamic, less fluid and more brittle treble

Link to post
Share on other sites

It might also be worth pointing out that high frequencies were a bit brittle and harsh when my EtherRegens were new but that this significantly improved as it burnt it, becoming more detailed, nuanced and textured. They are not harsh at all. Around 100 hours was the first turning point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...