IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

Well that was interesting.  Several days in now and was thinking that, in addition to the benefits I listed before about improved leading edge definition, etc., that there was an added high-frequency lift relative to a standard D-Link switch.  However, with a bit more experimentation then it turned out that I can now hear a very clear difference between using HQP from a Mac Mini vs. using Roon Server + HQP on the same box.  Using Roon to feed HQP vs. HQP on its own flattened out the soundstage depth and lost some timbral accuracy.  It delivered a more energetic presentation, but ultimately one that I judged to be too forward relative to HQP on its own.  Bummer.  Roon is a much better front end that the HQP client provides, and is far more intuitive to use.  Plus, it of course gives access to Tidal, radio stations, etc.  Guess I'll have to switch back and forth depending upon priorities, but the real insight here is that adding ER into the mix means anything upstream of the device is now laid bare!

My EtherRegen has crossed 48 hours burn in The SQ snapped into focus after 24 hours!

Bass slam, plumbing new lows are expected benefits. On George Michael's Symphonics played on Hqplayer DSD256 :

The before and after EtherRegen is like this;

1. The bass is growling thru my Abyss Ab1266 phi/cc It slams my eardrums growling from left to right seemingly Beow the level of stage George is singing from! 

Audience cheers clapping and noises just seem to expand outwards width depth height BUT each noise individually highlighted in its own airy sound bubble of realism; all harmoniously fitted into the Huge Bigger Soundscape!

A analogy on the Sound Stage Change is that Now you have everything expanded with a wide  angle lens and a microscope to zoom into each and every detailed sound image! UNCANNILY REALISTIC

The better clocking gives precise control over each sound's starting and ending impulse. 
Eagles Hell Freezes Over Glenn Frey on Tequila Sunrise and Don Henley on Hotel California can hv slightly raspy vocals. On a badly setup system sibilance is heard! I did not hv this in my system b4 the Etherregen . But after the EtherRegen both their voices now retain their high notes start and finish w/o Zero hardness in the SQ! Fantastic tight control. Every vocal on every Album I can hear the singer pronounce each word of the lyrics. Realism enhanced!

My System( No internet connection to my ISP Broadband modem needed!!)

I run my Network Asus Ac86 stand alone to a Netgear GS105 to the A side of the EtherRegen  with JSSG360 cat6 cables fitted  with Ferrite Chokes. Each switch/modem has its own high current Linear DC PSU! Sotm Ultra Neo is on B output of EtherRegen on its own Linear PSU thru a JSSG360/Ferrite choked/end connector lacquered CAT 8 cable. Hqplayer is on A side thru same modded Cat 8 cable

DAC is SMSL VMS D2 DAC thru LPS 1 powered ISOREGEN to the SOTM ULTRA NEO!

Hi guys - just a heads up - I just listed an etherRegen on USAudioMart (along with some other goodies). I'd love someone here to get it, as I know you all "get it."

I have two but one is enough - daytime it feeds the opticalRendu at my desktop, nighttime I can swap SFPs and feed the ultraRendu in my two-channel rig.

Since I never listen to both at the same time I realized two was overkill (and I heard no benefit from daisy-chaining them...)

Saving up for a new DAC... Thanks - sorry if I'm not supposed to cross-promote here. Cheers.

I re-jiggered my system a bit (details in the cable experiments thread), and listened to my collection on shuffle. The song Warning Intruders from Rostam's album Half-Light came on, and it was just astonishing. It's available on Qobuz in hi-res, at least here in the US. Well worth a try. (Alternative rock genre.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

So now it was time for me. Received it today.

Thanks Alex.

It was an instant improvement. I listened to Bob Marley Redemption song when changing from old to new switch. 

Its only song and vocals with a short delay on this track. This delay was now more easy to hear and it felt like thin veil around the vocals was removed and it was easier to hear. 

I have some experiences with a few of uptones earlier products and my hunch is that the etherregen could be their best product so far in terms of hearable and effective sonical improvement.especially for the buck. 

Regards Magnus

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

1 hour ago, Ed Sky said:

So now I sit, with about 24 hours on the EtherREGEN and the following descriptors come to mind: clear, alive, holographic, realistic, impactful and detailed bass (which is quite addictive I must warn) and a sense of space between instruments and voices. It's definitely elevated my system and I think completely removed the issues I've felt I had, though I'd need more time with it just to be sure.

Just wait to see what happens after a couple of weeks once the EtherRegen is burnt in, and stabilised - based on the 2 months I have had an EtherRegen the initial improvement is doubled again, and everything just gets even better.

10 hours ago, Ed Sky said:

I'm also one of those who also received the EtherREGEN in Australia on Monday.

The EtherREGEN has finally fixed the problem I've had with my system since I initially bought B&W 804D3 speakers two years ago. The issue was that these speakers are extremely transparent (possibly to a fault) and as soon as I installed them it exposed all the weaknesses in my components. I've since upgraded amplifier, source, cables, even installed a power regenerator. All have made substantial improvements but I'd been frustrated, that with all these upgrades things still weren't sounding completely right. Sure, the system as a whole was sounding very good but there was subtle distortion and unnaturalness to the sound that would irritate me on some days. I thought perhaps the speakers were just too bright.

I'd only recently discovered the impact on Ethernet on the playback chain. Just a few months ago I was streaming over WiFi. I actually started up a thread on another forum asking why people recommend Ethernet over WiFi. The thread eventually got shut down (due to the usual activity that happens on these types of threads). Fortunately it did motivate me to try stream over Ethernet, then to try a better Ethernet cable and then to try a Baaske isolator (which a kind forum member lent me). I was pretty surprised at what the Baaske did to the system and that then opened my eyes what the EtherREGEN may do.

So now I sit, with about 24 hours on the EtherREGEN and the following descriptors come to mind: clear, alive, holographic, realistic, impactful and detailed bass (which is quite addictive I must warn) and a sense of space between instruments and voices. It's definitely elevated my system and I think completely removed the issues I've felt I had, though I'd need more time with it just to be sure.

What's also great with the EtherREGEN is it's such an easy tweak to install. Was up an running in a few minutes.

My system specifications are as follows: tp-link modem/router-->EtherREGEN-->Simaudio Moon 390-->Simaudio Moon 860A-->B&W 804D3 (with PS Audio P20 PowerPlant).

Some interesting comments.  I too have suffered a little from a system that nominally sounds great, but does have those tiny irritations.  A bit like a luxury car with a tiny squeak or rattle you can't find.  In my case it is mostly perceived distortion in the HF and presence range.  Regarding the EtherRegen, I wrote this back in December "There was one track in particular with a snare drum that annoys me a bit, it just adds a touch of harshness that is almost heard direct from the tweeter. With my quick listen Sunday it sounded like a snare "in space", directly between the speakers. Now, I could be imagining this, it could be that some earwax fell out of one ear during the night, I am really not sure. It was, to me at least, and running from aural memory, a small but distinctive difference."

So maybe for both of us the EtherRegen is doing a good job of removing the annoying digital distortion / artifacts?  Small stuff in absolute terms, but it can make a huge difference by making a listening session enjoyable, rather than frustrating due to annoying niggles.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Hi !

I got mine and, like all of you, I’m happy with the results.

Needless to say, you need to give it some time to settle. There are a lot of electronic parts and they need time to start run in a smooth way. If you wish to elevate performance, the resonance adjustment is a thing to do. Its good to adjust resonance in both; the EtherREGEN and the power supply.

If I would build my streaming source now, I guess it would only consists of the streaming device, EtherREGEN and stock cables. Although I still use two expensive cables (USB and Ethernet) I would probably not spent money on them now. Surprisingly, I prefer cheap stock ethernet cable instead of another fancy one I kept to connect router with EtherREGEN.

In the end, those audio cables are all filters and some of them have really strong influence. I found myself looking for ease and analog-like naturalness and could hear nothing but compression with this mythical black background. Instead of pleasure.

Today I would not buy linear power supply either, at least not at the beginning. First I would try to squeeze the performance of impulse p.s. by adjusting its resonance. They actually tend to sing quite well when you do this. I use UpTone LPS-1 with stock power supply and I’m happy with the results.

Now truth is, with EtherREGEN I’m not interested in any kind of further improvements within my streaming source. I find signal so clean, that making it cleaner would only make my system sound worse. It is almost too clean now. I know John and Alex have plans for another devices. Well, we will see.

Cheers, Greg