IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

3 minutes ago, Audioclyde said:

I'm powering both the EtherRegen and USB Regen

If you power your etherREGEN and something on the B-side after the etherREGEN with a JS-2 you will defeat the isolation in the etherREGEN. 

This is because the JS-2 shares the -0V ground on both outputs. If I am wrong I think @Superdad can correct it.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Took delivery of my Ether Regen yesterday and installed it in my system last night.  My server and router are on the top floor of my house and my i7 NUC endpoint is on the ground floor.  Until now the endpoint and server have been connected by 5GHz wifi.  I set it up temporarily connected at the server end with my router and server both plugged into the A side and a 40 foot Blue Jeans CAT6a cable plugged into the B side and run downstairs to the endpoint.  

Using this configuration there was an immediate and obvious improvement in sound quality.  As many others have reported, a lack of harshness is what struck me right away, coupled with a naturalness to the sound that drew me in.  I am using the stock power supply for now.  Tonight, I am going to add an additional USB NIC to my server and bridge them, connecting one cable to my router and run the other one downstairs which will allow me to relocate the Ether Regen closer to the endpoint.  

Very impressed with the Ether Regen.  Thanks Alex and John!

Colin

Thx for your recommendation, Nick. I didn’t know Elias, but I found the recording on Tidal and Qobuz right away. These are resp. MQA ans CD recordings in Tidal en Qobuz. I don’t have access to recordings in genuine DSD format.

That triggered another question. It’s interesting to compare DSD files I do have access to to Tidal, or Quobuz before and after ER. I have one DSD recording I know quite well: Charles Mingus “Ah um”. Before ER I know the difference between DSD and Qobuz was very clear. DSD was far better, i.e. had much more intensity, as if there was more information in the file. I now have to switch several times between the formats and I still can’t tell if there is any audible difference. There seems to be, ...but difficult to grasp. The Tidal MQA is different, probably because my Naim NDX2 won’t decode it fully and plays it ‘only’ CD-format. The decrease in quality of CD as compared to DSD and 96khz/24bit is beyond doubt.

Getting a last beer as the night falls in the Netherlands, cheers!

To all the new users who are pleased with their initial SQ improvement with the Etherregen, it only gets better--smoother and more rounded after a week or 2.

My one is powered via an isotek sigmas gii choke filtered power supply, whats the opinions on likely SQ improvements if I put an LPS in the powerchain feeding out of the sigmas? I already achieve very musical 3D soundstage from the system.

After one if my first post I have retried the sBooster LPS one or two times with the same disappointing results I reported before.

But there may be more to say about ER and power. In the end of year sales, I had the opportunity to buy a power regenerator (Isotek Evo 3 Genenis One) which I decided to use for feeding the digital side of my system (ER, Nucleus and modem). The Isotek reports bringing the THD down from around 5.8 to around 2% (depends, it fluctuates). My mains pollution is really high.

With the the original SMPS connected to the Isotek (via an Isotek EVO3 Polaris) the sound got (even) more detailed, cleaner, the soundstage opened up even more and the music came (even) more loose from the speakers. Connecting the LPS sBooster (gave it another try) had the negative effect I noticed before (dullness).

In my system the original PS is a winner so far. But to me it’ s also clear that clean power is an important factor and can improve ER. I would therefore guess that a good LPS could improve the ER, but in the same time I’ve gotten a bit reluctant of even thinking about it, because of my disappointing experience with sBooster (not the last model, no ultra). Looking forward to reports of people who may have tried LPS 1.2, Teddy Pardo, CHC, Paul Hynes, Keces, Farad, or any other LPS with ER, compared to the original SMPS.

On 1/10/2020 at 4:24 PM, Lucie said:

In my system the original PS is a winner so far. But to me it’ s also clear that clean power is an important factor and can improve ER. I would therefore guess that a good LPS could improve the ER, but in the same time I’ve gotten a bit reluctant of even thinking about it, because of my disappointing experience with sBooster (not the last model, no ultra).

Try grounding the ER when using the sBooster.  It might not be providing the shunt to ground that the supplied SMPS provides.  It’s my understanding the effectiveness of the ER is diminished without that.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

1 hour ago, bailyhill said:

I wonder if the PS issue requires a different direction?  

You might want to check out this thread, including the last few posts:  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Thanks--this might be the beginning of an up tic reported in SQ due to external/linear power supplies.  This is the first one that I see.  Perhaps others, but lots have tried various supplies (maybe a couple of dozen) and I don't remember seeing a clear consensus.  I would think by now, that there would be half a dozen folks with a particular power supply with very positive results.  Perhaps this post shows the way how to get an up tic?  Does this regulator board/power supply provide isolate power to two devices, which from the posts, seems to be a requirement to even maintain SQ--I have one ER now, but am thinking of using two in cascade along with an optical Module--and there I think you need the isolation.

6 hours ago, bailyhill said:

So far those who have tried other power supplies have not got an up tic in SQ.  Perhaps the money is better spent on a very high quality Power Cable with the supplied SMPS?

Sorry but I disagree with this statement. I've read quite a few people posting positive experiences with better PSUs on the ER.

Also whilst I'm generally a fan of better power cords isn't there also the risk that you inadvertently remove the ground shunt that Alex & John incorporated into the stock SMPS?

My head starts spinning quickly with this stuff but presumably you need a better power cord, with active ground pin, plugged into the wall to keep the ground shunt active or you need to consider grounding the ER in order to really gain the benefit of that better power cord.

Ditto for plugging the ER into a power transformer rather than the wall.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

Hello Alan

So if that is the case, what is the consensus on power supply?  I am ready to buy if I read that its the case.  I follow the Naim Forum, and there there was a clear consensus for the past couple of years that a Cisco 2960 gave a positive uplift in SQ.  Now they report a positive uplift with 2 Ciscos in cascade.  Almost all who try it reply in a positive manner.  The same here with the ER.  Most are very pleased.  I have posted there about my positive experience with the Cisco and ER in cascade in my system.  Unfortunately, the ER has not caught fire there like it has here.  A couple of positive reviews and a couple of serious evals going, but results appear to be coming sooooon.

What are the Power supply or supplies that most folks are going to to report positive SQ?  It seems that the power supply is very important, but most are happy with the SMPS and several have removed power supplies back to the SMPS.  I am looking for consensus, not just 1 or 2 here or there.  I open.

@sahmen happy to hear you're enjoying the ER so much! As a fellow Ambre owner, I can confirm that the EtherRegen has a very positive effect on it :) It gets even better after burn-in.

The Ambre should be able to run from the B-side without problems. I have it running that way, without any trickery. Have you tried taking the power off of the etherregen? When Roon didn't see my Ambre/Adagio combo, just unplugging the DC cable from the etherregen and putting it back in solved it..

I had some free time this morning and finally got around to trying a "with and without" comparison with the Mutec REF10 providing the 10MHz reference clock.

The test was performed as described here:

As I mentioned in the linked post above, I thought that there would probably be little to be gained by adding the REF10.  However, I was surprised, there was noticeable improvement, to my ears at least.  With the REF10 the sound was cleaner, the highs more resolved and just a general sense of things being more lifelike and coherent.

From about news year's eve onwards, I have been using my system with the REF10 feeding the EtherRegen and have been thinking just how good everything is sounding, now I think I know why.

Of course, the Mutec REF 10 is a  £3.5k product, and I am not sure if I could recommend anyone buying a REF10 just for use with an EtherRegen, but for anyone who already has a REF10 (or similar) the fact that the EtherRegen has a 10MHz input allows you to get steller results for very little money.  This pretty much sums up my position, I couldn't be happier.

Out of interest, has anyone else tried the EtherRegen with the REF10, or similar 10MHz clock?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

2 hours ago, Confused said:

I had some free time this morning and finally got around to trying a "with and without" comparison with the Mutec REF10 providing the 10MHz reference clock.

The test was performed as described here:

As I mentioned in the linked post above, I thought that there would probably be little to be gained by adding the REF10.  However, I was surprised, there was noticeable improvement, to my ears at least.  With the REF10 the sound was cleaner, the highs more resolved and just a general sense of things being more lifelike and coherent.

From about news year's eve onwards, I have been using my system with the REF10 feeding the EtherRegen and have been thinking just how good everything is sounding, now I think I know why.

Of course, the Mutec REF 10 is a  £3.5k product, and I am not sure if I could recommend anyone buying a REF10 just for use with an EtherRegen, but for anyone who already has a REF10 (or similar) the fact that the EtherRegen has a 10MHz input allows you to get steller results for very little money.  This pretty much sums up my position, I couldn't be happier.

Out of interest, has anyone else tried the EtherRegen with the REF10, or similar 10MHz clock?

I am running my ER with the REF 10.  Like you, I hear a cleaner sound with more resolved highs and better dimensionality.  I also found the REF 10 removed a bit of harshness that I was previously not aware of, resulting in a more liquid sound.

EDIT:  At the moment, I am using a Blaxius^2 to re-clock my ER.

+1 on Marseilles. 

I have had my ER in my system for 3 days   Xfinity modem/router >ER>Cary DMS 600 >Odyssey Kismet Extreme Monos. Ethernet cables are Supra and I did swap out the stockPC for a Audience Au24Se cable I had laying around 

Simple  as it gets and I wondered if I would benefit as much as the computer gang 

Wow. Everything has already been said. Texture and low level detail. I swear I can hear the note on a few songs with horns actually moving out from the instrument.  I wish I could explain better. My new listening room will be ready in 6 weeks or so and can’t wait to hear it in a  29X18x10 room with a swarm sub system and an Isomax wall system. Going to real treat listening to the ER in a  proper room

Already satisfied so any more improvement is icing on the cake!!

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

Thermal issues, or non-issues, aside, do people find that specific voltages sound different/better? From the same supply even?

I seem to remember John mentioning that different voltage/power supply combinations could sound better. Maybe that was a microRendu thread? Or was it the EtherRegen, or both?

One poster indicated a feeling that a 7 volt Farad supply had a slight edge over the 12v Farad. Has anyone else noted a audio quality preference for difference voltage inputs?

11 hours ago, HumanMedia said:

Thermal issues, or non-issues, aside, do people find that specific voltages sound different/better? From the same supply even?

I seem to remember John mentioning that different voltage/power supply combinations could sound better. Maybe that was a microRendu thread? Or was it the EtherRegen, or both?

One poster indicated a feeling that a 7 volt Farad supply had a slight edge over the 12v Farad. Has anyone else noted a audio quality preference for difference voltage inputs?

Higher input voltages produce lower currents which produce smaller voltage drops across cables and connectors, which MIGHT give slightly better performance. The lower current can also significantly affect the power supply output, but exactly what happens is going to be very dependent on the particular supply.

So again as with pretty much everything else, no cut and dried universal rule.  If you have the option, try it your self and don't worry.

Just remember that say you want to buy a model X 12V supply, but it costs many hundreds of dollars, so you try a model Y 12V supply, if Y sounds better is not a guarantee that the 12V X will also sound better. 

John S.