mourip

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

Rate this topic

10 hours ago, mikeg said:

Alex, I so appreciate the time and value you add to this forum.  Not many manufacturers would go the extra mile like Uptone Audio.  

Wouldn't a good system ground for the ER ground screw be the SR Active Grounding Block given that in my audio system I have all components and cables grounded to it?

+mikeg That's how I have mine set up and it sounds great. And Alex, the SR ground block is a star grounding scheme that is connected to the earth ground of the house AC. I my setup I have added a second ground rod at the breaker box in an attempt to further lower AC ground impedance. I'm a believer!

As for others seeking to experiment with grounding the ER when using a JS-2, rather than trying to kludge a ground wire to the JS-2 case, maybe try connecting a wire from the ER to the ground pin of a 3 prong male AC plug and connect it to an unused AC outlet?

Andy

Ik gebruik nu DIY supra cat8 waarvan de afscherming slechts aan één zijde met aarde is verbonden.

Dit op zo'n manier dat aardlussen nooit mogelijk zijn. Ik heb ook SOTM zwarte kabel en TLS-referentie in gebruik, dit na Audioquest (kaneel en wodka) en SOTM iso cat6 lan isolator en de SOTM dcbl cat7.

Met de ER verbeterde alles op een manier die nog nooit eerder was gebeurd. Echt geweldig

Geïnspireerd door de ER in termen van verwijdering van ruis en storingen, nam ik dezelfde gok door ook de AC-kant aan te pakken. Ik gebruik de Z3- en moessonkabels van Audioquest al met veel plezier en vorige week kocht ik de AQ niagara 1200 EU. 
Wat een feest in combinatie met de ER, nog verbazingwekkender!

Op dit moment ben ik echt bang dat er iets kapot gaat. De SQ is zo goed! 😍

Just did a proper Google Search to get the meaning:  FMI, FYI:

What is an Ictus in music?
Ictus. With the spoken word, ictus indicates the stress or accent on the syllable or foot of a verse. In music, the term ictus is used in conducting to denote the specific point in a visible pattern of beat points that articulates the pulse of the music to the ensemble.

And by my listening, I would say that the ER does a very nice job of it.  

💫🎁🎉 I got my EtherRegen today 🎉🎁💫

It took me 10 minutes to pull out my old Netgear fs105 and replace it with the ER so burn in can start.
Oh so happy, thanks superdad and superJohn.

🇳🇱
Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers with scan speak illuminator drivers.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus

EtherRegen, Clock modded Isoregen, Lush^2

My "EtherRegen" was sent to Germany on Monday and was there yesterday afternoon. Great! Connected to Keces P3 since last night. 7V output. First I connected my Devialet to the B output, and the Innuos streamer and two other devices at the A input. Sound was good but a bit tight. Then I connected the Innuos to the B output and connected the Devialet via the Innuos bridge output. Significantly better in all disciplines. I'm very impressed. Much more music! The sound stage is slowly becoming more open and detailed.
@ Superdad: Should the EtherRegen be earthed because two more devices are connected to the A side?

30 minutes ago, perry1 said:

@ Superdad: Should the EtherRegen be earthed because two more devices are connected to the A side?

If the zero-volt/-VE output "ground" of your Keces P3 is "floated" (not common to AC mains ground), then yes you might want to try using the Ground screw of the EtherREGEN.

And later, once you have a lot of hours on your EtherREGEN, please try reverting back to having just the Devialet on the 'B' side, with your Innous and other devices on the 'A' side--with Ground screw used. That may in the end give you the best results.  

Certainly glad you are enjoying it so far! :D

I listened to the ER briefly on Thursday when I first got it, it sounded promising but left it at that. Thinking I rather listen to it after some burn-in time.

First toughs after 28 hours of music playing burn-in: 

Oh wow, need to recalibrate my brain. Much more precision in the whole soundstage meaning that every sound has now more of its own space around it, definition, decay and depth. 

Great stability, tight bass definition.

I think there’s still some harshness but I am confident it will disappear.

Oh I am tired 😴, going to casual listening mode now. 

Thanks SuperJohn and SuperDad for this SuperBad switch, just fantastic.

Music: (all via Tidal)

Iggy Pop, Free: Loves missing.

Supertramp: school.

Benjamin Clementine, At Least For Now.

Daft Punk, Random Access Memories: Giorgio by Moroder, Motherboard, Contact.

Fink, Bloom Innocent.

Ps etherregen fed with 12 volt gives it a toasty 43C.

🇳🇱

Under development:

🤓 Aaaaah It’s real “audio precision” 🤓😁 pun intended.

🇳🇱

Under development:

For folks who prefer streaming to endpoint with wifi, has anybody tried put the etherregen just before their wireless access point? For experimentation sake...

Untill know my streamer is connected by copper ethernet but when i receive my etherregen i will experiment putting it before my ubiquiti unify AC pŕo AP which is untill now used for non audio purposes and cut down normally when i have serious listening

On 12/14/2019 at 5:34 PM, spotforscott said:

I have had the ER up and running now for 3 to 4 days and wanted to share my feedback.

In terms of setup, I could not the B side of the ER to work with my NUC because the NUC cannot accept 100mb speed (NUC issue, not and ER issue). So here is how it is connected in the chain:

ETHERNET: Router > SonicTransporter i7 > ER B side > A side > NUC 

SOURCE: NUC USB > Mscaler > Dual BNC > OptoDX > Dual BNC > Chord DAVE > HFC Trinity > Abyss TC (with Superconductor cable). PC and BNC's are full loom of HFC.

Also of note, ER replaces the Linear Solution Switch. Both the the previous switch and the ER are powered by an LPS 1.2.

I did not start to seriously listen until ER had 50 hours on it. I have listened to it for about 25 hours. I then put back the Linear Solutions switch for about 5 hours, then back to the ER again.

I had reasonable high hopes for the ER like others on this board but I have to say, it easily surpassed my expectations. I have tried many different things in my system over the past 2 to 3 years with various hits and misses along the way. Well the ER is NOT a miss, it's the "real deal". It's performance embarasses what I thought was a pretty good (Linear Solutions) switch.

First and foremost, it has noticably lowered the noise floor so that I hear more into the music - more detail and more life. It also seems to relax the music whilst maintaining speed. Also, if anything, it seems to contribute to more more musical density rather than thinning things out - like some components do.

Put simply, the ER makes it easier for to get more enjoyment out of my music :)

Thanks Alex and John, very well done!  

Nice review, and agreed on all points. 

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: Conrad-Johnson CT-5 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Denali 6000/S V2, Shunyata Delta NR & EF, NR-V10, NR-V12, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Venom ICs, Delta SPs. 

5 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

In the first set up, you crossed over the moat with the hdmi?

No, first set up I had ethernet in and Apple TV on A side and my streaming amp on B.

There is no hdmi on the switch, I only mentioned it because i was worried that because I also have Hdmi connection between apple tv and the amp it may have undid the benefits of the etherregen... however that is not the case.