IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

14 hours ago, KHA said:

@Confused,

As I am new to this forum, and also using the Uptone stuff with sotm sms 200 ultra I have purchased the mutec

REF-10 clock . Did you have any issues with synchronizing the ether regen and the sotm sms 200 ultra.

thanks for an answer

Karl-Heinz

Hi Karl-Heinz - Welcome to the forum.  

First to point out that this is an UpTone Audio sponsored thread, so any discussions re using the Mutec REF 10 with SOtM kit should take place elsewhere, it is clearly "off-topic" here.  I will send you some pointers via PM.

What is on topic here is the use of the Mutec REF 10 with the EtherRegen.  All I can say is that I have not tried this yet, but I do plan to try this in the near future.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

6 hours ago, skatbelt said:

I agree on the fact that the ER is upperclass compared to Baaske or Emo systems isolators BUT in my system the end result is the best while keeping the Emo systems isolator between my Roon server (a modded Mac mini) and the ER on the A-side. So either it is keeping the A-side or the server cleaner (or both?).

I would not be surprised if the EtherRegen has a feedback sensing circuit which monitors noise, impedance levels, perhaps, between the B connector and the NIC in the digital audio device. It's like a load monitor if you like where the B connector source measures and compares to a set of parameters, where optimally noise is the lowest. Not sure how this is actually implemented, but John is clever enough to be aware that an open system has its drawbacks and would vary with the type of NIC used, traffic throughput and effects of reflections and the cable. 

From what users describe, the experience is much the same from person to person when connected directly (Connector B to NIC), other than adding in the Baaske or Emo, where the sound becomes worse.

When the Baaske or Emo transformers are installed between the B connector and the NIC in the load device, this isolates the load monitoring, and the correction circuits in the Etheregen 'max' out since it tries to correct for something that's missing. Consequently audible results would be apparent. There's no need to raise an alarm, since an open circuit on the B side can occur and shouldn't have any nuisance value.

As far as the A side is concerned, there wouldn't be any monitoring at all, no need to, really only look for for valid data, router signals much like a regular switch. When the Baaske or Emo is installed on the A side, the noise is reduced from the source due to the transformers built into these units. They also provide valuable overvoltage protection, which would be recommended in any case, no need to uninstall them!

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

For someone who has two PSUs on his Naim 555 to say that 2 Ethergens is a bit over the top makes me smile...

Desktop: SonicTranporter i7, Ubiquiti switch, optical, OpticalRendu, Musician Pegasus, Linear Tube MicroZOTL 3, ZMF Verite Open

Main: SonicTransporter i7, Uniquiti switch, optical, EtherRegen, Lumin U1, Bricasti M3, Naim 252/250, DeVore Gibbon Nines

2 hours ago, Ponkbutler said:

1 x Etherregen sounds better than 2 x Ciscos and also better than 1 x Cisco + Etherregen

Also what I thought in my system.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I don't know about the Emo, but I have looked and measured the Baaske extensively. The Baaske is just a transformer, that's it. This gives some extra common mode attenuation, and the bandwidth of the transformer is low, just enough to barely pass an Ethernet signal. This can cut down on some frequencies of differential noise, but it also degrades signal integrity significantly. So putting one between the B side jack of an ER and an endpoint is almost guaranteed to make things worse. On the A side it may may have some effect, but it could be worse or better.

My gut feeling is to not use these at all.

John S.

8 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

I don't know about the Emo, but I have looked and measured the Baaske extensively. The Baaske is just a transformer, that's it. This gives some extra common mode attenuation, and the bandwidth of the transformer is low, just enough to barely pass an Ethernet signal...

This is certainly what I found. I have an ethernet isolator from yet another manufacturer. Before putting in either of the SotM/ER switches, it made a positive difference. With either of these units in place, the isolator made things worse.

Anyone using the EtherREGEN and the IsoRegen together?  It sound be interesting to find if the listening experience is better together or the IsoRegen not needed anymore? Etc. 

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

1 hour ago, sgr said:

Anyone using the EtherREGEN and the IsoRegen together?  It sound be interesting to find if the listening experience is better together or the IsoRegen not needed anymore? Etc. 

They do different things. The ER is intended to clean up network related noise while the IR is intended to clean up USB noise between endpoint and DAC. Not really an "or" situation - they should be additive. 

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
3 hours ago, sgr said:

Yes, I have an ER feeding a microRendu, and an IR between the microRendu and my DAC.

All I can tell you is I really like the sound, because I'm not interested in taking the IR out of the system to see what happens. 🙂

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

The one other experiment I might be interested in doing is to try a USPCB between microRendu and IsoREGEN in place of the Ghent JSSG360 USB cable I have there now.

7 minutes ago, Jud said:

The one other experiment I might be interested in doing is to try a USPCB between microRendu and IsoREGEN in place of the Ghent JSSG360 USB cable I have there now.

Looking forward to read your result.  I did the similar comparison recently except for a different USB cable and was between endpoint and the DAC.

18 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Looking forward to read your result.  I did the similar comparison recently except for a different USB cable and was between endpoint and the DAC.

What is the verdict of that comparison? I now go from my server via a lush^2 to the IR and via uspcb to the DAC. The IR is now nicely tugged a away out of sight behind the DAC so that’s a plus. If I switch it around the IR comes in to view, I prefer not to have that. I have a spare original lush usb cable so maybe server->lush->IR->lush^2->DAC is an idea.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Connected the ER to a Mac Mini, which feeds a TV set over HDMI and a MiniDSP AES sound processor over US. 

First, employed the A side. 

A noticeable improvement in PQ. Grey blooming in nightly scenes is now completely absent. Colors are vibrant. 

No much difference in SQ

Next, the B side

Boom!! PQ is now brilliant. The screen is nothing less than mesmerizing. I’m complled to bat my eyelids here and there.

A big boost in SQ. The clarity and precision are notable. 

Conclusion: Going to order a second unit.

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

On 12/26/2019 at 3:07 PM, alsterfan said:

As burning-in of my ER has reached 130hrs, I will soon come back and tell what happened so far.

As a lot has already been said by users, who were quicker than me, about the merits of ER sonicwise I in short will concentrate on what has happened in my chain after 300 hrs of burning-in.

Apart from the music being tighter and more precise it is mainly the soundstage which is still developing with instruments more focused, presenting more details in a more natural way, which is highly enjoyable, as is the fact that I can follow more easily and much longer the tones fading away.

So far I have used a 5TB 3,5´´ Thunderbolt HDD as music storage which "sounded" better than a 2,5´´USB-attached HDD.

But with more "quietness between the notes" I had to put away the Thunderbolt HDD now being too noisy. I hope I can overcome the disadvantage (sonicwise) of the 2,5´´ HDD by using a USB Regen.

Though I have decided to no longer write down what changes my ears picked up, I am convinced the ER is still on its way to make for even more musicality.