mourip

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

It is. So @Puma Cat, while I appreciate your support, let's please not take us down that road again. @plissken has an active thread going in the Networking sub-forum. Whoever wants can tilt at windmills over there.

Apologies for the digression, Alex. I don't plan on tiliting at windmills, but thanks for the heads-up on the other thread. 

Cheers,

PC

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: Conrad-Johnson CT-5 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Denali 6000/S V2, Shunyata Delta NR & EF, NR-V10, NR-V12, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Venom ICs, Delta SPs. 

Here’s an actual listening impression (not sure why people are posting shipping notices and FW questions here as opposed to other threads).

I finally moved my ER from my computer room (with a 30’ cable) to right next to my DS dac with a 3’ cable, which reversed the long and short cable positions.

Man am I glad I tried this!  Just as others have posted it’s a big leap in quality.

Incidentally, before I tried this, I wanted to hear the Dac connected directly to my mac’s second Ethernet port vs going through a standard router (Ethernet/WiFi).   Direct from the Mac sounded better, though I didn’t try to see if the ER made that preference go away.   So I would encourage anyone with the ability to bypass a switch altogether (other than the ER) to give it a try.

I’ll Now have to do some tests with and without the ER In position right near the DAC, but I imagine it will be a bigger improvement than being further away.

I also chose to run a long extension cable so the ER is not on the same AC line as the stereo/Niagara power conditioner, but I suppose that’s another test I’ll have to do.

Now I Can’t wait to try a premium Ethernet cable vs the the cat 6 coming out of the ER.  I can’t afford a high end 30’ cable.  

Andres I will have to look into that cable, but unfortunately all my money is tied up in a comedy feature film I hoping to shoot this Spring.  I made an exception to purchase the ER because I sensed the modest additional cost  would allow the rest of my substantial investment to shine.  

In case anyone is interested in the system I have the EtherRegen installed in, I just posted pics and a system description over at PS Audio's forum.

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/system-photos/8910/2381?u=emailists

2 hours ago, emailists said:

Andres I will have to look into that cable, but unfortunately all my money is tied up in a comedy feature film I hoping to shoot this Spring.  I made an exception to purchase the ER because I sensed the modest additional cost  would allow the rest of my substantial investment to shine.  

In case anyone is interested in the system I have the EtherRegen installed in, I just posted pics and a system description over at PS Audio's forum.

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/system-photos/8910/2381?u=emailists

Try the Tera Grand ultra flat or premium double shielded (jssg360 like) Cat 7 cables on Amazon. 50 feet for around $20 makes them affordable. My requirements are for a 10 to 12 feet long cable.

The flat cable sounds terrific here, much more open then the prior Monoprice slimrun cable. I later noticed that the premium cable has jssg360 like construction and acquired one for testing yesterday. It needs to cook for a few days before any critical listening.

Thanks to @Iving for the reminder to try the Tera Grand cables. Apologies to @Jud who just bought Monoprice cables on my recommendation.

nuckleheadaudio.com

40 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Apologies to @Jud who just bought Monoprice cables on my recommendation

None necessary, my primary purpose was to eliminate torque on Ethernet connections, and for that the light flexible Slimrun cables work perfectly.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> eero Pro router -> EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen (powered by LPS-1) -> Ghent JSSG360 USB cable -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

55 minutes ago, Superdad said:

So versus the $1,700 SoTM switch--which he uses two of--I'd say our modest offering came out smelling great! :D

I would agree. I haven't had a chance to fully comment, but the ER compares very well with two SotM's in series. I believe the SotM has a slight edge (more so with their external clock), but we're then comparing products in a completely different price bracket and doing this well at this price point is an absurdly great achievement.

3 hours ago, FileMakerDev said:

My housemate, who has been subjected to my ever-evolving stereo system over the last four years, and whose response is typically a terse "sounds good", volunteered yesterday (after hearing the EtherRegen and ET^2 for the first time the other night), "Your system sounds the best it's ever sounded -- you shouldn't change a thing ever again."

Maybe he or she is trying to save you money? hahaha

8 hours ago, McNulty said:

In The Netherlands there was a blind contest between seven switches. Unfortunately, the ER was not present. The SotM was very good, but also the Cisco Meraki. In general the conclusion was that the results where very close and the rest of your audio-system should be your first priority. Although differences are small, they are listenable.

4 hours ago, jandersonhill said:

I would agree. I haven't had a chance to fully comment, but the ER compares very well with two SotM's in series. I believe the SotM has a slight edge (more so with their external clock), but we're then comparing products in a completely different price bracket and doing this well at this price point is an absurdly great achievement.

Those reports, including yours, might as well be true, but I take them with a grain of salt.

Audiophiles are notorious to be influenced by cost. "The more expensive, the better it sounds.," a consumer biase many unscrupulous vendors take advantage of.

I'll wait for the blind tests, thank you very much.

[ AERIS G2 ] => [ MC3+USB x 3 <- -REF10 ] => [ Genelec 8341 x 2 + 7360 x 2 ]

[ Switchable to  [ Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350 ]

20 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

Hi Guy:

Have you done any with your EtherREGEN unit?

Oh wait, wrong forum. x-D

Have a great weekend everyone!

--Alex C.

46 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

Those reports, including yours, might as well be true, but I take them with a grain of salt.

Audiophiles are notorious to be influenced by cost. "The more expensive, the better it sounds.," a consumer biase many unscrupulous vendors take advantage of.

While I basically agree with you, the other way around is also the case: people who cannot afford or think something to be out-of-proportion expensive tend to question the added value or superiority of such products.

Roon server (Mac Mini/i7/SSD/16GB/Uptone DC mod/external SDD via firewire/Uptone Audio JS-2 LPS) Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Cables CAT6 UTP ethernet, Transparent premium AES/EBU, Nordost Leif Red Dawn analog RCA, Kimber 8TC speaker cables, custom power cables Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) | Audio-technica ATH-M50 Software High Sierra | Roon 1.6 | Tidal hifi Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, 0.0001pf, balanced) | Vibex one 6R power distributor | Uptone EtherREGEN | Emo Systems EN-70HD network isolator | Jensen CI-1RR isolator

5 hours ago, Superdad said:

Thanks for pointing that out. And the nice first point that he made, in comparisons in about a $250,000 system, is:

"1. ER is an over-achiever for sure. And it is better than all audiophile switches below or at around its price."

So versus the $1,700 SoTM switch--which he uses two of--I'd say our modest offering came out smelling great! :D

We have also received e-mails from others (in Europe) putting us on top. And there will be some lengthier formal comparative reviews coming in the next month or so.

What I found noticeable in this comparison is that - according to this group of people - it is better to leave the standard supplied SMPS untouched and use a proper LPS. Unlike what you promote Alex.

Roon server (Mac Mini/i7/SSD/16GB/Uptone DC mod/external SDD via firewire/Uptone Audio JS-2 LPS) Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Cables CAT6 UTP ethernet, Transparent premium AES/EBU, Nordost Leif Red Dawn analog RCA, Kimber 8TC speaker cables, custom power cables Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) | Audio-technica ATH-M50 Software High Sierra | Roon 1.6 | Tidal hifi Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, 0.0001pf, balanced) | Vibex one 6R power distributor | Uptone EtherREGEN | Emo Systems EN-70HD network isolator | Jensen CI-1RR isolator