IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

46 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

Those reports, including yours, might as well be true, but I take them with a grain of salt.

Audiophiles are notorious to be influenced by cost. "The more expensive, the better it sounds.," a consumer biase many unscrupulous vendors take advantage of.

I'll wait for the blind tests, thank you very much.

While I basically agree with you, the other way around is also the case: people who cannot afford or think something to be out-of-proportion expensive tend to question the added value or superiority of such products.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

16 hours ago, McNulty said:

I think there are a few interesting things here. Firstly, if we park the considerable price difference between ER and a fully tricked out SoTM then some will read this and opt for the SoTM. That's not intended in any way to disparage the considerable achievement that is the ER. Just acknowledging the trend in this hobby to chase absolute perfection.

Tho if you dive down that rabbit hole then you need 2 x SoTM switches and the price differential becomes 6 times rather than 3 😂Yeah, I'm sticking with my ER!

Second interesting aspect is that the ER and SoTM don't reportedly blend well and compliment each other.

Third for me is the finding that the ER does indeed benefit from a better PSU. (Fairly amazed there hasn't been more on this here tbh!). Intriguingly @CKKeung has clarified that he was advocating the LPS-1.2 as further improving the ER.

I'll add testing this to my backlog of tests and tasks. New firmware etc. But am hoping for some reports here on this.

Final comment relates to the Dutch switch shootout, rather than our Hong Kong friends, where the SoTM was highly rated but not by big margins. Struggling to get my head around this as the ER has a very significant impact in my system, others say the same for the SoTM. But the difference isn't huge compared to other switches. Huh? Confusing data point but well done to them for taking the time to do this. Ditto to CKKeung for his efforts.

Be interesting to see other head to head comparisons.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

On 12/7/2019 at 12:51 AM, BigAlMc said:

I think there are a few interesting things here. Firstly, if we park the considerable price difference between ER and a fully tricked out SoTM then some will read this and opt for the SoTM. That's not intended in any way to disparage the considerable achievement that is the ER. Just acknowledging the trend in this hobby to chase absolute perfection.

Tho if you dive down that rabbit hole then you need 2 x SoTM switches and the price differential becomes 6 times rather than 3 😂Yeah, I'm sticking with my ER!

Second interesting aspect is that the ER and SoTM don't reportedly blend well and compliment each other.

Third for me is the finding that the ER does indeed benefit from a better PSU. (Fairly amazed there hasn't been more on this here tbh!). Intriguingly @CKKeung has clarified that he was advocating the LPS-1.2 as further improving the ER.

I'll add testing this to my backlog of tests and tasks. New firmware etc. But am hoping for some reports here on this.

Final comment relates to the Dutch switch shootout, rather than our Hong Kong friends, where the SoTM was highly rated but not by big margins. Struggling to get my head around this as the ER has a very significant impact in my system, others say the same for the SoTM. But the difference isn't huge compared to other switches. Huh? Confusing data point but well done to them for taking the time to do this. Ditto to CKKeung for his efforts.

Be interesting to see other head to head comparisons.

Cheers,

Alan

How about applying a different logic?

Since so many users of the ER are content with the supplied SMPS—people with both the means and drive to maximize the performance of their systems—perhaps we should be weary of that HH sighted evaluation? Or put bluntly, perhaps their observations are biased? 

I personally take it as a red flag and thus don’t put much trust in the rest of their findings.

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

Yup. Fair points.

To be clear I'm not trying to prove or challenge anything. But personally I have an unused LPS-1.2 sitting on my rack. Unused because it was powering my Aqvox switch which has been so comprehensively replaced by the ER. So it's a no brainer for me to try that experiment. Am guessing others will be in a similar situation so hoping for their observations.

Bigger picture the ER is in its infancy as a brand new product so any shared knowledge and experience that helps find optimal performance are welcome.

That said I'm in no rush to even install the firmware as its sounding so damn good already 😀

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

7 minutes ago, McNulty said:

Hi @BigAlMc, a possible explanation for the difference in SQ gap between the Hong Kong and Netherlands test could be that first test used the full options version of the SoTM (list price $ 1,900) including external clocking and the second test used the basic version (list price $ 800) with the standard power supply (not the SPS-500). Also the Dutch test was a blind test and the HK seems to be sighted.

Ah, I missed that the Dutch one was basic Sotm switch and PSU. My experience with SoTM kit is it really needs a decent PSU. Also read the difference between basic and tricked out SoTM switch is night and day.

Explains a lot.

42 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Yup. Fair points.

To be clear I'm not trying to prove or challenge anything. But personally I have an unused LPS-1.2 sitting on my rack. Unused because it was powering my Aqvox switch which has been so comprehensively replaced by the ER. So it's a no brainer for me to try that experiment. Am guessing others will be in a similar situation so hoping for their observations.

Bigger picture the ER is in its infancy as a brand new product so any shared knowledge and experience that helps find optimal performance are welcome.

That said I'm in no rush to even install the firmware as its sounding so damn good already 😀

Same configuration here.  Aqvox is powered by LPS 1.2, but I don't energize it with the SMTP, but with a Kenneth Lau LPS.  My first test will be to remove the Aqvox and put ER in exactly the same configuration.  Later I can do other tests.

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

2 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Let me ask you one question, which audio gear doesn’t benefit from a better PSU?

“The internal power network in the switch will be extremely good, the result is that there should be no advantage to using an LPS-1.2.“

That was JS’s quote from last year in the original post. I believe that is why @BigAlMc was surprised at his own findings.

For others without a spare LPS 1.2, I would hesitate recommending one for an extra $435 and follow the manufacturer’s recommendation.

10 minutes ago, k-man said:

“The internal power network in the switch will be extremely good, the result is that there should be no advantage to using an LPS-1.2.“

That was JS’s quote from last year in the original post. I believe that is why @BigAlMc was surprised at his own findings.

For others without a spare LPS 1.2, I would hesitate recommending one for an extra $435 and follow the manufacturer’s recommendation.

My experience is that all audio gear benefit from better PSUs. The lower the “quality” of the PSU has the bigger is the improvement and it was why I asked which audio gear doesn’t benefit from a better PSU, as I have not tested all gear and that includes ER?

I will get my ER soon and will of course test and hear for myself.

2 hours ago, Evo1668 said:

Well I decided the other night to move my Nucleus+ to be closer to my ER and Streamer - As a result of this I also moved my JS2 which was powering the Nucleus. So now my Nucleus is connected directly to one of the ER “A” side ports (50cm AQ Vodka cable) -wow definitely improves the sound - even less congestion - result! 

Having a spare outlet on the JS2 - seemed silly not to try it at 12V straight into the ER.....double wow! I didn’t think you could strip any more haze from the window into the music - you most definitely can - the dynamics are even way better. I’ll have to try switching back to the stock PSU on the ER, to try and quantify what the ER is adding versus Nucleus being closer to the ER, but I’m loathed to change anything at the moment.  

I know Alex/John say a better PSU over stock is not needed - but in my configuration/system I would have to pop my head out the trench and disagree. 

Nice to hear that you've found this configuration to be stellar.  My plan is to add the JS-2 to support my Roon Nucleus and eR as soon as Alex can get one to me.

What this tells me is that whoever seeks to do a comparison of switches really must keep things as simple, network-wise, as possible, for an apples to apples comparison.  We've all noted the potential for noise, including EMI/RFI, capacitive and galvanic coupling, to affect the overall signal and resulting SQ. 

Ideally source - Ethernet - switch - Ethernet - DAC as well as using the same Ethernet cabling design (Cat6a for instance) and manufacturer model would be ideal. 

Involving additional links in the chain is likely to introduce a level of complexity that may mask the benefits of one switch over another.  Please note that I'm aiming for pure comparison.  We all have different environments to deal with in the real world.  So as we all know - your mileage may vary...

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

2 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Also, and sponsored forum or not I'm gonna say it, Alex and John have an agenda here. Not selling the PSUs they know we're all gonna buy 😜

And before anyone jumps on me that's a joke. I don't doubt their sincerity that the performance with the stock (JS ground shunt incorporated) PSU is already terrific.

Well that was our point. It’s a matter of degrees.

Arbitrary scale: If an EtherREGEN with its stock supply is +9 points, and powering it with an LPS adds 1 more point—for people with crazy sensitive systems and ears—then I think you can understand why we deemphasize the need for an upgraded supply.

We don’t want people to think that they won’t get to enjoy the special qualities of the EtherREGEN unless the spend more. As so many of you have found out, our switch does most of its ‘magic’ right out of the box.

And I was honest in saying that in my system, while I very much hear the difference with the ER, I hear almost no difference powering it from either of our two fine linear supplies.

59 minutes ago, Summit said:

I want to see it. Please post a picture with all three combined.

You guys are wacky! O.o

But more seriously:

I often worry that those few who take things to the extreme—sometimes with tweaks so out there they stretch credulity—will scare off the more average audiophile from trying and enjoying our modest and effective boxes. (Though the steady stream of orders should allay that concern! :D)

UpTone is interested in delivering as much of an obvious “wow” improvement as possible—at as low a cost as we can. Still, we flattered by so many people incorporating our devices into their six-figure systems.

We are really looking forward to this next wave of EtherREGENs being delivered and installed by all the “second-batch” buyers in the coming week. (Crazy when I realize that even these units are still just to people who ordered in the first 40 minutes of the launch.)

Good times ahead...