IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

4 hours ago, Jud said:

One of my favorites for listening tests, because it's short, simple, emphasizes vocals, and this time it's something pretty much everyone has heard: The Beatles' "I'll Follow the Sun."

Aside: if you love the Beatles, or even if you don't, what Chet Atkins does with this song on his PICKS ON THE BEATLES album is amazing. The entire album is a neglected gem, IMO.

Operating temperature — 48~52C (118~126F)

From Uptone website

My take: This is warm enough that I plan to move a bit of air across it to dissipate as much as practical.  I realize the component values are more than twice this temp according to Alex but the lower the ambient temp the longer they will last and likely perform.

I'm fortunate that all of my gear (save my preamp, amps and speakers) are located in an adjacent room where a slow moving fan cannot be heard or seen.

10 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I thought this thread was for listening impressions???

Well a lot of people are waiting for the second batch of etherregen to be sent off. X amount of days later the second wave of listening impressions will flood in again.

Stay tuned.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

28 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Actually, we just finished packing up 90 units for overseas dealers and 32 domestic units.  About to load up the van to drop them off. This is a full week ahead of the promised December 12th date. Over the weekend I will do the labels and commercial export invoices for the remaining 50 second-batch international units. Those will all ship out--mostly via very fast FedEx on Monday the 9th.  And then another 60 units to the dealers later in the week.  That cleans us out for December!

Happily, another 256 boards arrive about the 16th and we already have cases. So we will start all over again for the January-promised units. The dealers are getting less than 50 total of those because there are about 205 units direct-sales orders promised for January. The date we have settled on to ship those by is January 16th. Might be a little sooner as typical for us, but I am closing our offices from December 21, reopening on January 2nd.

I know this information belongs elsewhere. But I'm in a hurry. Will cross-post it later.

WHoooaaa!!! can’t wait to get the Etherregen. Excellent work. 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Here’s an actual listening impression (not sure why people are posting shipping notices and FW questions here as opposed to other threads).

I finally moved my ER from my computer room (with a 30’ cable) to right next to my DS dac with a 3’ cable, which reversed the long and short cable positions.

Man am I glad I tried this!  Just as others have posted it’s a big leap in quality.

Incidentally, before I tried this, I wanted to hear the Dac connected directly to my mac’s second Ethernet port vs going through a standard router (Ethernet/WiFi).   Direct from the Mac sounded better, though I didn’t try to see if the ER made that preference go away.   So I would encourage anyone with the ability to bypass a switch altogether (other than the ER) to give it a try.

I’ll Now have to do some tests with and without the ER In position right near the DAC, but I imagine it will be a bigger improvement than being further away.

I also chose to run a long extension cable so the ER is not on the same AC line as the stereo/Niagara power conditioner, but I suppose that’s another test I’ll have to do.

Now I Can’t wait to try a premium Ethernet cable vs the the cat 6 coming out of the ER.  I can’t afford a high end 30’ cable.  

Andres I will have to look into that cable, but unfortunately all my money is tied up in a comedy feature film I hoping to shoot this Spring.  I made an exception to purchase the ER because I sensed the modest additional cost  would allow the rest of my substantial investment to shine.  

In case anyone is interested in the system I have the EtherRegen installed in, I just posted pics and a system description over at PS Audio's forum.

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/system-photos/8910/2381?u=emailists

55 minutes ago, Superdad said:

So versus the $1,700 SoTM switch--which he uses two of--I'd say our modest offering came out smelling great! :D

I would agree. I haven't had a chance to fully comment, but the ER compares very well with two SotM's in series. I believe the SotM has a slight edge (more so with their external clock), but we're then comparing products in a completely different price bracket and doing this well at this price point is an absurdly great achievement.