mourip

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

Rate this topic

57 minutes ago, Dutch said:

My first impressions/listening notes after my first listen (I’m not counting the 15 minutes or so I listened when I hooked it up) and around 140 house of continuous operation of the ER.

In short: WOW! 🎶

Stronger foundation, more punch and the (upper) bass/lower midrange octaves seem to have filled up a bit in my system

Microdetail in spades without distracting or anything specific drawing my attention

More ambiance or reverb is heard, better soundstaging in all three dimensions 

Incredible separation, delineation and natural portrayal of voices and instruments (harmonies OMG)

Emotion is really oozing from recordings

Less digititis (again?!), no sharpness, peaky or intermingled/smeared highs, just well balanced not dark or filtered in any way. Lively recordings still sound lively.

One very weird ‘effect’; music seems to play a bit slower, of course it doesn’t (or so I hope 😁) but I think this is because it sounds more right and relaxed (good thing!) It must be my brain adjusting to something no longer there or the opposite: missing before.

Very happy so far!!! Thank you Alex and John! 👍

My system topology in attached picture (clickable for larger version). The ER is a drop in replacement for a TP Link MC220L fiber ethernet converter plus EMO Systems EN-HD70 LAN isolator. I’ll update my system details in my profile next.

76BFF077-CC8C-40EC-A13F-DED22852E5AF.jpeg

I wish I had your written expression skills!  Your description of the SQ is the most spot on and nuanced I have seen.

Where did you get your the software that you used to illustrate your system topology?  

On 11/25/2019 at 6:56 AM, Dutch said:

My first impressions/listening notes after my first listen (I’m not counting the 15 minutes or so I listened when I hooked it up) and around 140 house of continuous operation of the ER.

In short: WOW! 🎶

Stronger foundation, more punch and the (upper) bass/lower midrange octaves seem to have filled up a bit in my system

Microdetail in spades without distracting or anything specific drawing my attention

More ambiance or reverb is heard, better soundstaging in all three dimensions 

Incredible separation, delineation and natural portrayal of voices and instruments (harmonies OMG)

Emotion is really oozing from recordings

Less digititis (again?!), no sharpness, peaky or intermingled/smeared highs, just well balanced not dark or filtered in any way. Lively recordings still sound lively.

One very weird ‘effect’; music seems to play a bit slower, of course it doesn’t (or so I hope 😁) but I think this is because it sounds more right and relaxed (good thing!) It must be my brain adjusting to something no longer there or the opposite: missing before.

Very happy so far!!! Thank you Alex and John! 👍

My system topology in attached picture (clickable for larger version). The ER is a drop in replacement for a TP Link MC220L fiber ethernet converter plus EMO Systems EN-HD70 LAN isolator. I’ll update my system details in my profile next.

76BFF077-CC8C-40EC-A13F-DED22852E5AF.jpeg

But with Devialet Roon Ready support now available why not go ‘B’ port into the 250 unit, and skip the conversion to USB and the NUC based endpoint (which is not going to be electrically the cleanest endpoint).

On 11/25/2019 at 11:01 AM, simon_pepper said:

But with Devialet Roon Ready support now available why not go ‘B’ port into the 250 unit, and skip the conversion to USB and the NUC based endpoint (which is not going to be electrically the cleanest endpoint).

Yes, on the devialetchat forum I wrote that I owe it to myself to test this one day and  back then even made a topology update to show how this would hugely simplify my system (for giggles I’ve attached it here as well). However since my Devialet came back with the CI module a year ago I have not ever used the USB and ethernet inputs, so these are still brand new. 

Pre CI module release I preferred USB over ethernet (when using a tweaked, both hardware as software wise, PC) and later AES/EBU out of the Mutec MC3+ USB over ethernet. I’ve been too lazy to re-test and RAAT stability issues reported by others and Devialet not caring much or at all did not motivate me either.

And yes, I really ‘needed’ the TX-USB Ultra connected to the NUC to clean things up, yet it did sound better than my previous single machine setup.

CC8DBAA4-3529-419A-AB13-8CEA44B15A30.jpeg

On 11/23/2019 at 12:47 PM, darkstar said:

My listening impressions fall in line with other owners are saying. 
Initial observations were the outstanding clarity. My wife thought the sound lost some body and warmth. I think we are both correct

Due in part to the ER and in part to some sizzling hot silver speaker cable I recently installed, my sentiments were similar to yours. Ended up compensating by installing a very smooth interconnect between my preamp and power amp. I could not be happier. My system has never sounded this good (in 4+ decades of audio obsession)... I’m hearing a phenomenal combination of depth, clarity and sweetness. 

21 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

I've been thinking about upgrading my microRendu 1.4 to one of the costlier Rendu variants but am somewhat dubious about the difference it would make.

For what it’s worth, I upgraded my home system from micro to ultra as soon as the ultra came out. The difference was not subtle, and I liked it enough that I purchased a second ultra (for my office system). 

Unfortunately I don’t have a lot of time (and peace) to conduct an A/B comparison. I will someday switch back to my old switch to hear the differences. I think after getting used to ER, potential changes will be more obvious :) 

Forst observation is that I listen with higher volume which gives more joy! A change is immediately audible just by listening to while moving through my home (without critical listening needed). It sounds more clear, refined and relaxed/stable. More live without being nervous. Sometimes the mind plays games (new device must bring something to the game), but here it is different. I was sometimes surprised (with eyebrows raised) what happened. 

38 minutes ago, Bernstein said:

It sounds more clear, refined and relaxed/stable. More live without being nervous.

This really echoes what I am hearing in my system. More live and relaxed at the same time

If you are on the fence about the ER I'd run to the Uptone website......

2 hours ago, Johnnydev said:

This morning i recieved my ER :x  And after coming to room temperature i did the (easy) firmware upgrade.

Then i exchanged it with the cisco 2960 wich already gave an improvement and the reason was that i ordered the ER.

Maybe i’m one of the few or the first to use the ER in backwards mode. The B side is the input from my router and the A side is to my devialet phantoms golds L+R (All in one speakers) + devialet dialog. (see schedule)

I wil remove the devialet dialog after a devialet DOS2 software upgrade that i will do at a later time (when the ER is played in and DOS2 update is oke)

my first impressions:

After changing the cisco 2960 for the ER and nothing els changed ( wich i want to keep so until after 200 hours of playing) i had my doubts for the first 10 minutes.

After a few hours, no more doubts, the best and cheapest upgrade i ever had!  So that promised something for playing after 200 hours 😍

I will not repeat or quote what has been written here, but my first impressions after a few hours of playing: More music, more musical, more high-end (what ever that may be) and more emotion. Thanks to Alex and John!

John and Alex;

Would you please look at my connection diagram, at what i could do differently or better?

Perhaps there is also a market for the better all in one speaker for the ER

Removing and sell the Sboosters to the cable modem and netgear R7000 router, i want to try out (and perhaps sell) only after the 200 hours playing.

Sorry for my english but it’s not better.2C7A1711-E180-4F10-9E33-EC2D8EF447C7.thumb.jpeg.7672ae06b19629d3432f92d84fc97f19.jpeg but it’s not better

I think for your situation, that's a very appropriate layout -- it isolates your "endpoints" from the rest of the network.

is there anyway to daisy chain the speakers?  if so, then i would think it might be best to daisy chain the phantoms on the B side and put the dialog on the A side.

source:  intel nuc8i5 (audiolinux, roon core) > intel nuc8i5 (ws2019, ao, roon bridge) > schiit yggdrasil (gen 5, analog 2)
headphone rig:  bryston bha-1 > senn hd600
two-channel rig:  luminous audio axiom ii xlr walker mod > parasound a21 > monitor audio gx100

22 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

I think for your situation, that's a very appropriate layout -- it isolates your "endpoints" from the rest of the network.

is there anyway to daisy chain the speakers?  if so, then i would think it might be best to daisy chain the phantoms on the B side and put the dialog on the A side.

No, daisy chain is not possible and the devialet dialog will expire shortly after the DOS2 software update, wich in itself would give an improvement in SQ.

If i understood correctly is the ER 100% Backward usable, hence my choice to do it this way.

Just now, Johnnydev said:

If i understood correctly is the ER 100% Backward usable, hence my choice to do it this way.

Yes, it is completely usable going from A to B or B to A.  Look forward to your review!

source:  intel nuc8i5 (audiolinux, roon core) > intel nuc8i5 (ws2019, ao, roon bridge) > schiit yggdrasil (gen 5, analog 2)
headphone rig:  bryston bha-1 > senn hd600
two-channel rig:  luminous audio axiom ii xlr walker mod > parasound a21 > monitor audio gx100

@Johnnydev Once you ditch the Dialog, I reckon another ER will serve you better. B side for each of the Phantoms. Otherwise, your orginal setup is a good compromise.

Ralph Waldo Emerson said that one should “cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously."”

Those of us in the Uptone Audio "family" are thankful for all the great products your intrepid venture has produced and shared.

And yes, the firmware update is for the better--more transparent, detailed and live-sounding still....

Andy

2 hours ago, so-no-mah said:

Ralph Waldo Emerson said that one should “cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously."”

Those of us in the Uptone Audio "family" are thankful for all the great products your intrepid venture has produced and shared.

And yes, the firmware update is for the better--more transparent, detailed and live-sounding still....

I agree whole-heartedly with all three of these statements.

9 hours ago, andresz said:

If you cannot prove the connection between measurement of variables and the emotional impact of what the sound waves are doing then the whole premise is flawed

👏 👏 👏

Qnap HS-251+ NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 (Roon ROCK) > Lumin U1 Mini (powered by a Vinnie Rossi Mini Pure-DC-4EVR LPS) >  UpTone Audio ISO Regen (powered by an Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2) > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier + First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or First Watt J2 or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U1 Mini > Metrum Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Perhaps this is OT and I should start an ER Watching Impressions thread 😉 but what's the consensus on whether the ER is improving video streaming picture quality?

I tried it myself, halfheartedly, and swapped the LAN cable that goes into my Apple TV box into the B side of the ER. I thought I saw an improvement but the girlfriend and I were watching Amazon Prime and I didn't want to try her patience with lots of A-B-ing and whaddya-think-ing.

Might try to A B it this weekend.

Read a few positive comments but what's the consensus?

Cheers,

Alan

AudioLinux NUCi7DNKE server > AudioLinux NUCi7DNBE endpoint (both powered by dual rail Sean Jacobs DC3) > PS Audio Directstream DAC > Hegel P20 Pre > PS Audio M700 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers