IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

So a week on, since installing the EtherRegen into my system - it has been played morning and evening this week, and very pleased with how things are sounding.

No networking issues to report - all devices on all ports are happy.

Played a couple of albums, last night and it was the best I have heard them.

Roon has also been upgraded to 1.7, which is reported to bring improvements to Tidal (and Qobuz) streaming. Just played a couple of tracks from Tidal, that I heard last week at the Dublin Audio Show, and wow they are excellent - the transient response and soundstaging.

So will be interesting what the new firmware brings in terms of SQ.

8 minutes ago, darkstar said:

The Etheregen gets the attack (transient) sustain (tone) and decay of each note timed    accurately. Very audible depending on the recording. A net gain in my system. 

Your short and cogent review is most impressive to me because, despite being a member of this forum for just over 4 years, this is only your fifth post!  So glad your enjoyment of the EtherREGEN was enough for you to post. x-D But sincerely, thanks.

2 hours ago, MrDerrick said:

All that I can say is that I am absolutely blown away by the improvement that I am hearing and I was perfectly content with how my system sounded prior.

The density, complexity and extension of the music with in the sound stage has taken on a new dimension.

Everything that I listen to seems like I am listening to it for the first time.

2 hours ago, MrDerrick said:

I still have a few variations on the connection scheme to try and I haven't done any streaming comparisons yet, but holy shit.

For me the EtherREGEN is a breakthrough product that raises the bar to another level and that level is very high.

Wow. While all the prior positive reports that first EtherREGEN owners have posted have been extremely gratifying, yours put a really big grin on may face today. :D

Probably because you already had a fine--and fairly costly set up--into which you dropped the EtherREGEN in just the right spot, feeding your DAC-attached endpoint.

Thanks very much.

--Alex C.

Hi all,

In the January batch of shipments but just wondered about a few things. 

‘First my system is as simple as it gets. Supra Ethernet from a Xfinity modem/router directly into a Cary DMS. Streamer/dac.  Streaming Qobuz/Tidal sounds great about 95 percent of local usb attached files and 90 percent of the integrated SD card player in the Cary.

I am building a dedicated room and am integrating a HT in with my 2 channel. New 85 inch Sony 4K and an Atmos system.  How is the video side benefiting from the ER?  How is it integrated into the system?

sorry for my ignorance but have always been on the streamer/dac side without a computer. Did try a Mac Mini system once but to complicated.

Thanks for the guidance,

Russ

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

More stuff to listen to with the ER:

Sean Rowe, The Drive, from the album Madman. 

Leonard Cohen, Old Ideas, especially Amen, where the bass is a physical thing.

Edit: And you might also try Juniper Arms, from Adam Torres’ Pearls to Swine album.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 hours ago, Jud said:

Edit: And you might also try Juniper Arms, from Adam Torres’ Pearls to Swine album.

I am still awaiting my ER wivh is on its way, but i am very happy with your music tips that i already put on my qobuz (studio) playlists 👌

On 11/24/2019 at 7:28 PM, Jud said:

@Jud I'm especially interested in your findings as (like me) you use a microRendu 1.4, and apparently haven't felt the crushing need to replace it with Ultra or Optical yet.  I've been thinking about upgrading my microRendu 1.4 to one of the costlier Rendu variants but am somewhat dubious about the difference it would make.  Sounds from your experience that putting in ER would be a more significant improvement. Would you agree?

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

57 minutes ago, Dutch said:

My first impressions/listening notes after my first listen (I’m not counting the 15 minutes or so I listened when I hooked it up) and around 140 house of continuous operation of the ER.

In short: WOW! 🎶

Stronger foundation, more punch and the (upper) bass/lower midrange octaves seem to have filled up a bit in my system

Microdetail in spades without distracting or anything specific drawing my attention

More ambiance or reverb is heard, better soundstaging in all three dimensions 

Incredible separation, delineation and natural portrayal of voices and instruments (harmonies OMG)

Emotion is really oozing from recordings

Less digititis (again?!), no sharpness, peaky or intermingled/smeared highs, just well balanced not dark or filtered in any way. Lively recordings still sound lively.

One very weird ‘effect’; music seems to play a bit slower, of course it doesn’t (or so I hope 😁) but I think this is because it sounds more right and relaxed (good thing!) It must be my brain adjusting to something no longer there or the opposite: missing before.

Very happy so far!!! Thank you Alex and John! 👍

My system topology in attached picture (clickable for larger version). The ER is a drop in replacement for a TP Link MC220L fiber ethernet converter plus EMO Systems EN-HD70 LAN isolator. I’ll update my system details in my profile next.

76BFF077-CC8C-40EC-A13F-DED22852E5AF.jpeg

I wish I had your written expression skills!  Your description of the SQ is the most spot on and nuanced I have seen.

Where did you get your the software that you used to illustrate your system topology?  

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

On 11/25/2019 at 6:56 AM, Dutch said:

My first impressions/listening notes after my first listen (I’m not counting the 15 minutes or so I listened when I hooked it up) and around 140 house of continuous operation of the ER.

In short: WOW! 🎶

Stronger foundation, more punch and the (upper) bass/lower midrange octaves seem to have filled up a bit in my system

Microdetail in spades without distracting or anything specific drawing my attention

More ambiance or reverb is heard, better soundstaging in all three dimensions 

Incredible separation, delineation and natural portrayal of voices and instruments (harmonies OMG)

Emotion is really oozing from recordings

Less digititis (again?!), no sharpness, peaky or intermingled/smeared highs, just well balanced not dark or filtered in any way. Lively recordings still sound lively.

One very weird ‘effect’; music seems to play a bit slower, of course it doesn’t (or so I hope 😁) but I think this is because it sounds more right and relaxed (good thing!) It must be my brain adjusting to something no longer there or the opposite: missing before.

Very happy so far!!! Thank you Alex and John! 👍

My system topology in attached picture (clickable for larger version). The ER is a drop in replacement for a TP Link MC220L fiber ethernet converter plus EMO Systems EN-HD70 LAN isolator. I’ll update my system details in my profile next.

76BFF077-CC8C-40EC-A13F-DED22852E5AF.jpeg

But with Devialet Roon Ready support now available why not go ‘B’ port into the 250 unit, and skip the conversion to USB and the NUC based endpoint (which is not going to be electrically the cleanest endpoint).

On 11/25/2019 at 11:01 AM, simon_pepper said:

But with Devialet Roon Ready support now available why not go ‘B’ port into the 250 unit, and skip the conversion to USB and the NUC based endpoint (which is not going to be electrically the cleanest endpoint).

Yes, on the devialetchat forum I wrote that I owe it to myself to test this one day and  back then even made a topology update to show how this would hugely simplify my system (for giggles I’ve attached it here as well). However since my Devialet came back with the CI module a year ago I have not ever used the USB and ethernet inputs, so these are still brand new. 

Pre CI module release I preferred USB over ethernet (when using a tweaked, both hardware as software wise, PC) and later AES/EBU out of the Mutec MC3+ USB over ethernet. I’ve been too lazy to re-test and RAAT stability issues reported by others and Devialet not caring much or at all did not motivate me either.

And yes, I really ‘needed’ the TX-USB Ultra connected to the NUC to clean things up, yet it did sound better than my previous single machine setup.

CC8DBAA4-3529-419A-AB13-8CEA44B15A30.jpeg

On 11/23/2019 at 12:47 PM, darkstar said:

My listening impressions fall in line with other owners are saying. 
Initial observations were the outstanding clarity. My wife thought the sound lost some body and warmth. I think we are both correct

Due in part to the ER and in part to some sizzling hot silver speaker cable I recently installed, my sentiments were similar to yours. Ended up compensating by installing a very smooth interconnect between my preamp and power amp. I could not be happier. My system has never sounded this good (in 4+ decades of audio obsession)... I’m hearing a phenomenal combination of depth, clarity and sweetness. 

21 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

I've been thinking about upgrading my microRendu 1.4 to one of the costlier Rendu variants but am somewhat dubious about the difference it would make.

For what it’s worth, I upgraded my home system from micro to ultra as soon as the ultra came out. The difference was not subtle, and I liked it enough that I purchased a second ultra (for my office system). 

Unfortunately I don’t have a lot of time (and peace) to conduct an A/B comparison. I will someday switch back to my old switch to hear the differences. I think after getting used to ER, potential changes will be more obvious :) 

Forst observation is that I listen with higher volume which gives more joy! A change is immediately audible just by listening to while moving through my home (without critical listening needed). It sounds more clear, refined and relaxed/stable. More live without being nervous. Sometimes the mind plays games (new device must bring something to the game), but here it is different. I was sometimes surprised (with eyebrows raised) what happened.