IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

56 minutes ago, so-no-mah said:

You can listen at lower volumes without losing information.

Yes,  you can.  👍 I noticed this right away last night. 

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Yes, the server is on the A-side.

The EtherRegen completely crushes the myth that an ultra clean ethernet source isolating the endpoint and DAC from upstream pollution will act as prophylactic for downstream devices.  Instead it appears to be the opposite making it easier to hear upstream enhancements downstream.

The other thing I'm confident that will be very important as we suss out how to most effectively use ER is to be thoughtful and systematic of how it is implemented in these various configurations, and take thorough notes so we can build up a knowledge base that can be used for defining its most effective use for specific applications. 

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

14 hours ago, PYP said:

Just curious:  when folks state the number of hours in the system, do you mean powered up or are you playing music through the ER continuously?  

Playing music through ER continuously. 

10 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

It sounds as though Jud tried but abandoned using the optical port as the downstream one for sound quality reasons.  Is anyone else connecting a device through an SFP module and, if so, how are you feeling about the ER in that application?  I ask because I have an optical rendu now connected to the network with a Sonore optical module that I would switch to another system if the ER is an upgrade of the magnitude this thread suggests it is.

Yes. My configuration is below. I observed a notable improvement in audio quality when adding ER to my main rack, using the SFP module on the A-side, and replacing a TP-link SFP FMC with my Optical Module in the bedroom/study. Scroll up to page 2 to review my listening impression notes. 

Bedroom/Study:

Mac Mini/Roon Core->copper Ethernet->Pace router->copper Ethernet->Optical Module->Tripp-Lite OM-1 LC/LC fiber running to main audio rack.

Living Room/Main Audio Rack:

Fiber (from bedroom/study) -> ER using SFP/optical transceiver on A-side -> copper Ethernet on ER B-side-> SOtM UltraNeo network bridge->USB cable->Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC

47 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

Won’t dwell on medical stuff, though I had a gout attack last Wednesday on my left big toe, I’m still recovering from…though it did keep me on the couch listening to the EtherREGEN break-in.  And break-in it really did.  I’m glad I raised this break-in question on the forum with Alex, as it proved to be very, very true.

I was initially uncertain about how much better replacing my existing Cisco 2960 would turn out to be.  I’d done my best to mitigate all digital and analogue related noise coming from devices, and passing along to others, along with using whatever cabling and interconnects that would prevent pickup or passing of electrical or other mysterious crap.  My config. is as simple as I can make it with Roon player and Eero WiF wired to the ER while the “B” port going to dCS gear.  That’s it.

However, after plugging in the ER there was no immediate and obvious change in SQ for my Roon local music playing.  However I did notice that OTA streaming of even low quality radio, let alone FLAC music from Radio Paradise, improved nicely.  However, that’s upstairs cable modem to Eero WiFi access point,  then to another Eero co-located with the downstairs audio system and wired into the ER.  Caveat: the Shunyata Sigma Ethernet cables incorporate technology to mitigate both signal and high frequency noise distortion.  That's what's wired between the Roon, ER, and DAC components So, no immediate revelations from what the ER would come to reveal.

After 24 hours of playing music w/o the amps turned on, I found a very dramatic change when I finally got around to hitting the switches on the amps and doing any critical listening.

Replacing the Cisco 2960 with the EtherREGEN results in separating the wheat from the chaff - the overall sound level seems louder.  This must be some psycho acoustic effect.  Background is blacker, and sonic decay lingers on, along with much clearer sense of the sonic space surrounding instruments and singers.  

I agree with Jud’s perception of how the ER really started “opening up”.  Clearly lines between all elements of the sonic picture came into a much clearer separation in all areas - location in space, size, realism, etc.  Even listening to live performance the audience seemed more “real” and clearly hearing members shout out things I’d failed to pick up on in the past.

And everything Puma Cat has stated I hear as well.  The palpable nature of live playing, especially percussion in attack and decay are very evident.  But it goes way beyond that to what others have heard: fretwork on guitars, reed instruments that just seem far more realistic, and the piano is just so right and clearly displayed.  I’ve just begun listening to the same piece played by different pianists in solo just to capture their style and how the recordings were miked and engineered.  Already very revealing.

By keeping things simple in my chain the ER can reveal just how great it is as more than an ideal switch.

Will be fascinating to read John’s technical brief when it arrives.  Hoping he can help provide the laymen among us with what the actual effect that results from the many wiz bang elements he’s put into the ER.  

As for all of us who are sharing, I agree with Puma Cat re: the diverse nature of our systems.  Best we can hope for is just a subjective reaction to before/after the addition of the ER, making one simple change.  Too many changes and you’re uncertain what really affected what.

Always feel when I’ve made a positive change in my whole listening environment the result is greater “ease” in listening.  Simply great pleasure and pulls me into the performance rather than showing off.  On the other hand the ER can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear: bad recordings will stick out like a sore thumb that much more.  I’ve already experienced that with numerous albums in my collection.  But then I focus on the performance…

Examples of listening sessions:

Sgt. Peppers - uncluttered and quiet with Ringo’s drumming unpacked; all of the micro details exposed.

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland - phase experiments revealed; Voodoo Child - Jimi’s guitar fully realized; Gypsy Eyes shows off black background and allows exposure of all micro details; all around spatial expansion width/depth/height and precise size and placement of instruments & vocalists; Voodoo Child (slight return) even better showing off many of these attributes).

Sorry for the rather lengthy post...

Good post! My personal findings, listening to a lot of full-scale classical symphonic content last night are very concordant with yours, Steve.  👍

Agree with Steve that ER starts to show its stuff with ~24 hours burn-in. Sunday night was a notably different and improved experience over Saturday night. If my hypothesis holds, by ~72 hours of burn-in, should be "up on the cam, and hitting on all cylinders", to use an aphorism from motor racing. 

48 minutes ago, octaviars said:

Well it sounds really good already so if the etherREGEN can improve it by just a little bit I am happy with that.

I hope Alex will ship it in the coming days so perhaps early next week I will have it in my system.

I'll bet it already sounds really good;  you've got a superb system there. Love the TAD gear and dCS digital components. 

4 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

I would be curious what the opticalModule into etherRegen sounds like. 

Go back and read my comments/impressions on page 2 (IIRC)....

27 minutes ago, soares said:

Confirmed, at least in my system. The oM improves the SQ of eR. I am just using a Jameco and immediately you see a jump in what concerns SQ. So I will keep my oM. Will try as soon as possible a fiber connection between the two.

if you think the OM is good with the Jameco, ya gotta try it with the Uptone Audio LPS-1.2. The LPS-1.2 takes it to another level altogether. 

1 hour ago, nonesup said:

I remember reading on WBT that when they tried two Sotm Switch cascade, the best sound was obtained when joined by fiber, not copper.

That's very likely due to the fact that the upstream SOtM switch was passing leakage currents down to the downstream switch. A run of optical fiber in-between would prevent that. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2019 at 5:34 PM, spotforscott said:

I have had the ER up and running now for 3 to 4 days and wanted to share my feedback.

In terms of setup, I could not the B side of the ER to work with my NUC because the NUC cannot accept 100mb speed (NUC issue, not and ER issue). So here is how it is connected in the chain:

ETHERNET: Router > SonicTransporter i7 > ER B side > A side > NUC 

SOURCE: NUC USB > Mscaler > Dual BNC > OptoDX > Dual BNC > Chord DAVE > HFC Trinity > Abyss TC (with Superconductor cable). PC and BNC's are full loom of HFC.

Also of note, ER replaces the Linear Solution Switch. Both the the previous switch and the ER are powered by an LPS 1.2.

I did not start to seriously listen until ER had 50 hours on it. I have listened to it for about 25 hours. I then put back the Linear Solutions switch for about 5 hours, then back to the ER again.

I had reasonable high hopes for the ER like others on this board but I have to say, it easily surpassed my expectations. I have tried many different things in my system over the past 2 to 3 years with various hits and misses along the way. Well the ER is NOT a miss, it's the "real deal". It's performance embarasses what I thought was a pretty good (Linear Solutions) switch.

First and foremost, it has noticably lowered the noise floor so that I hear more into the music - more detail and more life. It also seems to relax the music whilst maintaining speed. Also, if anything, it seems to contribute to more more musical density rather than thinning things out - like some components do.

Put simply, the ER makes it easier for to get more enjoyment out of my music :)

Thanks Alex and John, very well done!  

Nice review, and agreed on all points. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 11/13/2020 at 11:41 AM, Superdad said:

PRODUCTION AND MISCELLANEOUS UPDATES:

Some here may have noticed that I have not been posting as much lately.  That's because these past few months have our busiest ever. Thanks to you all! :D

Just last week subscribers of the print edition of The Absolute Sound received their December issue--in which appears a terrific multi-page review of EtherREGEN, written by none other than @Puma Cat (aka Stephen Scharf). As if the backlog of e-mail inquires was not already crushing, the has been a new wave into my inbox from TAS readers.

@JohnSwensonhas been working hard on the prototypes for several new projects we are collaborating on (not Ethernet products, so nothing that will supersede your EtherREGENs) and making good progress.

Yet most all my time has been focused on production, shipment and support of our current products. 

While the sheer quantity of new orders--for nearly every model--have be daunting, we continue to keep up and generally are managing to ship everyone's orders about a week ahead of scheduled/promised dates. B| For example, all the EtherREGEN units promised for shipment by November 19th left here yesterday, November 12. And assuming FedEx does not delay delivery of EtherREGEN and ISO REGEN cases past this coming Monday, we will easily get out all the November 24th-promised goods by the 20th.

Below are some recent photos of the shop and production. JS-2s are labor intensive so it has not been easy to continue weaving 25 every 6 weeks alongside EtherREGEN production of hundreds.  (Neither a larger space nor more staffing are possible during the pandemic.)

I did finally decide to retire our 2001 AWD minivan--with 280,000 miles and a wildly unbalanced drive-shaft. Plane travel is not appealing anymore (actually never was for me), and although my wife and I used to enjoy camping we are at the age where a bed and bathroom are desirable. So we are buying a small travel trailer. I never saw myself buying a truck (I thought a Tesla Model Y was going to the first new car I ever bought), but that's where we ended up--for towing the new trailer. I refused to buy a planet-choking V8, and wanted something that felt like more like driving a car. So the independent rear suspension V6 Honda Ridgeline is where I ended up. Fun, sporty, and holds a lot of stuff! (Yes, that in-bed truck is large enough to discreetly move a body; our 19 year old son proved that by fitting himself in! x-D) In the mountains we'll be towing slowly but that's okay.

This is a tragic time worldwide with Covid19 rising. I am thankful for having our sons safe at home with us (in a county with few cases) and for the stability afforded us by the success of UpTone (my wife's non-profit environmental education organization has been in "hibernation" mode for most of the year; its survival uncertain). Still we feel awful for all that is happening--so we try to help by making donations, both domestically and internationally.

Wishing everyone well,

--Alex C.

IMG_3303.JPG.95a862e28a78ce6231805ba7ecb12e37.JPG

IMG_3242.JPG.5485b9148b09873232b5182e1173466e.JPG

IMG_3305.JPG.44d1c458661e804d5671b13b8dd9cbd7.JPG

IMG_3297.JPG.5d90adf6129403f043f3f78a5bee0899.JPG

IMG_3298.JPG.a7edb630a6cf16798cc10530eec10047.JPG

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the update that the EtherREGEN review is out in the print issue of TAS for December, 2020. I haven't received my issue yet as I have a digital subscription (😉). Congrats on the new Honda Ridgeline, I have friends that own them and they are very, very happy with them. I've been driving and riding Honda Motor Co. products for the better part of 40 years, so I am big fan of the company. Enjoy your new wheels! 

All best,

Stephen

• 3 weeks later...