IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

It sounds as though Jud tried but abandoned using the optical port as the downstream one for sound quality reasons.  Is anyone else connecting a device through an SFP module and, if so, how are you feeling about the ER in that application?  I ask because I have an optical rendu now connected to the network with a Sonore optical module that I would switch to another system if the ER is an upgrade of the magnitude this thread suggests it is.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

19 minutes ago, Superdad said:

You should experiment.  I think Jud's experience has nothing to do with the EtherREGEN's SFP port.  It most likely has to do with the SMPS of his Cisco switch and its effect on his system--but not via the optical cable.

But yes, it has been confirmed (first by John Swenson in his own system, and since then by others) that the EtherREGEN goes beyond the opticalModule.  This is not a slight on the very fine opticalModule--easily the world's best FMC for audio. But the core architecture and objectives of the EtherREGEN is the reason that people are hearing and reporting these results.

Thanks, Alex.  If I can round up the scratch, I will place an order and see how this works out.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

8 minutes ago, Jud said:

Just heard Morphine’s “Like A Mirror.” Percussion and vocals ungodly real and present.

Mine doesn’t arrive until next year, but you just made me hella envious.  😊

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, cat6man said:

happy user of the eR for a while now, just updating per latest system modification over here.

previously, i was running everything through my 24 port Netgear router, then eR to an opticalRendu.

case 0 shows my baseline system.

i just added an ubiquity edgerouterX to try to separate the music system from the rest of the house, so now

the music server and fios router feed the edgerouterX which feeds the B side of the eR (case 2)

big big improvement.  whether it is eliminating the 24port router from the music path or if the edgerouterX (even with wall wart power supply) somehow improves the sound.  so obviously, the moat is not 100% successful in eliminating upstream effects on SQ but the combination is worth looking at, expecially as the router is only about $100.  a good power supply on the edgerouterX is still in the future plans here.

case2.jpg

case0.jpg

This seems like a smart idea, but my network knowledge is rudimentary.  These probably are dumb questions, but I gotta ask, since I was gifted an edge router that still is sitting in a box because I don't know how to add it to my system.

(1).  Do the two routers have different 192.168.x.1 addresses? 

(2).  If they do, how does the fios router reserve the edge router's address? 

(3).  With the edge router, do you turn off dhcp and just assign a fixed address to the Rendu?  

1 hour ago, jamesg11 said:

Yes, n

Yes, need to chase up this album.

Well remember the great gig he did here in Melbourne AU a decade back, in a relatively intimate venue.

Try "Unspeakable" also. Am listening to that now.  I had forgotten how good that is, as well. 

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, xllms said:

thanks for sharing, @Mike Rubin 😊 out of curiosity, does the signature rendu SE has a sonic characteristics?

I couldn't describe those characteristics if it does.  

• 4 weeks later...

Contrarian here.  I used an HDPlex LPS with a Netgear DOCSIS 3.1 modem and ASUS AC87R router and I couldn’t hear any difference whatsoever.   Path was from router to Netgear unmanaged SOHO switch to ER by copper, and then ER to streamer by optical cable.  Maybe a better LPS would have made a difference, but the HDPlex wasn’t a bad one.

• 4 months later...

Alex, that does make sense and I know you want to move on, but it begs this question: with the *LPS 1.2,* is there any reason to run *it* at any particular output voltage?  I believe you suggested that I run mine at 12v, but does it actually make a difference, given that the load won't vary at the powered device?

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, RDOK said:

Hello out there. I want to share an experience:

In my system I use separate (Roon) server and endpoint PC's. Both were connected to an EtherRegen (A side) which has an optical connection to an Sonore OpticalModule and from there to a humble Netgear GS308.

For some reason I moved the server upstream one switch, to said Netgear.  Apart from a connection to the rest of the network nothing else is connected to it.

Both switches are powered by LPS's, a Farad Super 3 and an SR4T. I still have to decide which LPS should be on which switch.

This proved to give a significant upgrade in the sound quality. Darker background, more dynamics and transparency.

As always, this is valid for my ears and my system only but it may inspire someone to try for oneself.

Sounds like your server now has the benefit of an optical connection in the signal path.  While I have heard some optical paths in my own experimentation with my system that didn't make a lot of difference, the one to my optical Sonore rendu does make a lot of difference and none of them ever has done harm. 

• 1 year later...