IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

40 minutes ago, Jud said:

By the way - for folks on other forums or this one who don't have an ER and wondering whether we've all gone crazy 😊 :

I don't feel the sound of the system with the ER is completely changed, or even that the quantitative difference is so huge. What I do think is that the improvements that have been made, while perhaps quantitatively small, have increased my qualitative enjoyment tremendously. Being able to hear subtleties from vocalists and instrumentalists just that little bit better creates a lot more emotional impact for me.

Absolutely agree.  It's more like cleaning a window and being able to see far more clearly (no fog or other distortions), distinctly (details), farther (depth), with a truer sense that no glass is intervening in the process.  So, whatever John has "cooked up" in his recipe and how he's managed balancing the ingredients, the result is for all of us to behold in our respective systems. 

What I fear is that so many I read on this forum have such a kludge of upstream paths/devices before arriving at the eR, it's hard to know how, not the bitstream but what's been carried along, is affecting what actually is entering the eR, and ultimately our DAC and downstream.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

9 hours ago, andresz said:

Etherregen arrived two days ago and chain is:

Modem (Uptone JS2) > Shunyata SIGMA Ethernet cable> Etherregen (PC is Shunyata ALPHA) > Shunyata Ethernet cable> Streamer> WEISS USB to SPDIF converter>Empirical Audio Syncromesh clock>DAC.  

Very sensitive and high res system that highlight the slightest changes in cabling, isolation........I do a lot of config testing and to the clowns on ASR, who carry on about blind testing A/B and all that stuff - when you switch gear in and out and you hear the same signature in the changes and others recognise it too, the measurement argument is a fallacy. It matters only marginally in what you actually hear and how you react. If these guys cant hear the difference between a silver and copper cable or power cables then they are in the wrong hobby. Anyway......

Interesting observations:

I used an EMO 70e to great effect until I received the Shunyata SIGMA ethernet cable - which made it redundant. Different technicals re the filters on the SR versus the isolator but it is the only cable I have tested where the EMO provides no benefit. I use it end to end. I mention this as it may have impact on my observations.....

After three hours of listening (appreciate that lots of break in to go), here is my immediate impression:

The Very Good.

1. This is a remarkable piece of gear and immediately I hear more profound, textured and present bass. Not boomy but solid and you hear more of what the foundation this instrument brings to the music. Harmonic overtones are better heard.

2. Soundstage is wider and deeper. There is more of the sensation of instruments floating in front of speakers. This is not hard to experience. It isn't like otehr tests where you try to find differences or have to tilt your head to try and imagine it. It is there. Unmistakable. 

3. A sense of "performance" - more live and engaging. You want to listen to more recordings. This is THE test for me. Do I enjoy things more or do I keep channel surfing.

The not so Good.

1. There is a slight dulling of treble and the popping of dynamics. Almost filter like. Ex the ER, there is more veracity and tingle to instruments like the triangle and with the ER these are more polite - smooth. But to a point where they seem a bit robbed of energy.

2. A slight bityness to SQ when volume turned up. (expect this is a burn in issue).

Does the Etherregen work? Without question and it works to a greater effect than swapping very high end PC and IC cables in the rig. And these did make a big difference. I have yet to give it some testing re LPS, different ethernet cables etc... and I can say that music is more enjoyable to listen to.

The dulling of the treble and dynamics is something that is strange - even though all this SQ is set within an incredible 3D scape.  Hopefully a decent burn in will address this.  Interesting in others experiences re dynamics and treble roundness. What it does well so far is extraordinary - just a bit inconsistent so far re the total SQ setting. 

Let's hear back from you after you get to say 3 days of actual playing with the eR in place (do not turn off the eR) and avoid any other configuration changes in your system.  It took 24 hours just to begin to hear what the eR could do in my system and really blossomed after 70+ hours.  And I had been making room acoustic changes recently (front blinds from metal to real wood) that forced me to move my whole system, including the HRS stands) out of the way.  Just doing so for a day had an impact on sonics when I returned everything back into place and started listening.  So, another 24 hours before things began to gel once again...

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

2 hours ago, _JL_ said:

Updated Impressions After Run-in

I have my ERs running continuously for a couple days so it's time to reassess it. Previously I found connecting the uplink to the SFP port sounds better than the normal A port. This turns out to be due to (lack of) run-in. Now I realize that the ER fresh out of the box sounded rolled-off in the treble (which is consistent with some other members' reports) and was not as transparent as the SFP port. After run-in it changes significantly - it now sounds smooth and resolving. The difference between the A port and the SFP port is now very very slight, with the SFP port perhaps a bit brighter but the A port is smoother and quieter.

Now I prefer the normal A port over the SFP port running copper Ethernet for the uplink. I wonder if the SFP cage has the same isolation transformers as the normal A ports? Perhaps Alex/John can shed some light on this.

I'll revisit this once I receive the fiber SFP modules.

Internal Clock vs External NewClassD NeutronStar-2 10Mhz Clock

The NS2 clock is powered by a KECES DC-116 LPS at 12V. A short matching 50-ohm coaxial cable is used to connect it to the 50-ohm version ER. The NS2 clock has a few days' continuous run-in.

The two clocks do sound different but the difference is very small after run-in. The NS2 clock has a slightly more lit-up treble than the internal clock which can be appealing in darker sounding systems. In comparison, the internal clock is smoother, have a deeper soundstage, and slightly better resolution. This suggests that the internal clock probably has lower noise floor than the external NS2 clock.

I'm not sure if more run-in will change things but at this point I found the internal clock to be a better and simpler option.

Cascading ERs

So I tried this again, using two configs. First is with the Internet uplink, Roon ROCK, and link to the second ER all on the A side. Second is with the Roon ROCK moved to B side. In both cases Roon exhibited some connectivity issues. When it works I can't really say if there is any difference at all so I think the ER is working as intended, at least in these two configurations.

In retrospect I should have tested linking the upstream ER's B port to the downstream ER's A port. Maybe next time once I receive the fiber SFP modules.

Removing Other Devices from A Side

I tried removing all other devices (ATV-4K, AV Receiver) except for the uplink from the ER's A ports to see if that will improve the sound. I did some back-and-forth comparison and honestly the difference is so small I could have imagined it so I think the ER again is working as intended!

Summary

So the key findings here are: (a) run-in is a must before serious comparisons can be made; and (b) the ER performs exactly as predicted by Alex/John - practically immune to upstream and concurrent connections in the A ports, and superb internal clock performance.

Congratulations to Alex/John for a fine piece of well-engineered component!

Nice to have confirmation on what many of us have experienced so far.

Have you or do you plan to test an LPS or two in lieu of the supplied power supply?

Steve Schaffer

40 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Great detail on the setup here @skatbelt, it helps a lot. 

The STP cable from the ISP router, most likely carries with it, unwanted noise, since it's coupled to a 'common ground' * directly, or by capacitance (hope not).

By fitting the EMO isolator, it's a transformer type based, so the isolator decouples the shield continuum from the rest of the system, much in the same way as the Jensen hum eliminators work for un/balanced line audio levels.

I would keep the EMO where it is, since it provides protection for high volts on Ethernet systems caused by destructive mains powered events.

Also possible that the STP formed a ground loop, perhaps can be overcome by connecting the ER ground terminal to earth (the same centre point from the IsoTransformer on the secondary) in this way all ground (earth) references are the same for the whole system.

The ground loop current or the unwanted noise "injection" is the main cause of loss of sparkle, micro detail and sound stage degradation. With placing the EMO in the right spot (for now), the missing attributes are now restored. This typically occurs with USB, which is difficult to control, but Ethernet can be corrected with simpler measures.

Please report back further listening observations.

* May not be connected to earth

Wouldn't switching from an STP to UTP also "fix" the problem?  Try a simple Cat6a for all your copper Ethernet to see if that makes things work best.

Steve Schaffer

2 hours ago, Evo1668 said:

Well I decided the other night to move my Nucleus+ to be closer to my ER and Streamer - As a result of this I also moved my JS2 which was powering the Nucleus. So now my Nucleus is connected directly to one of the ER “A” side ports (50cm AQ Vodka cable) -wow definitely improves the sound - even less congestion - result! 

Having a spare outlet on the JS2 - seemed silly not to try it at 12V straight into the ER.....double wow! I didn’t think you could strip any more haze from the window into the music - you most definitely can - the dynamics are even way better. I’ll have to try switching back to the stock PSU on the ER, to try and quantify what the ER is adding versus Nucleus being closer to the ER, but I’m loathed to change anything at the moment.  

I know Alex/John say a better PSU over stock is not needed - but in my configuration/system I would have to pop my head out the trench and disagree. 

Nice to hear that you've found this configuration to be stellar.  My plan is to add the JS-2 to support my Roon Nucleus and eR as soon as Alex can get one to me.

What this tells me is that whoever seeks to do a comparison of switches really must keep things as simple, network-wise, as possible, for an apples to apples comparison.  We've all noted the potential for noise, including EMI/RFI, capacitive and galvanic coupling, to affect the overall signal and resulting SQ. 

Ideally source - Ethernet - switch - Ethernet - DAC as well as using the same Ethernet cabling design (Cat6a for instance) and manufacturer model would be ideal. 

Involving additional links in the chain is likely to introduce a level of complexity that may mask the benefits of one switch over another.  Please note that I'm aiming for pure comparison.  We all have different environments to deal with in the real world.  So as we all know - your mileage may vary...

Steve Schaffer

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Confused said:

I have had my EtherRegen for a little over a week now.  First to say that it works flawlessly.  I have tried it upsampling with HQPlayer, in Roon Ready mode, feeding both my SOtM sMS-200Ultra and my Devialet direct via its Ethernet input, everything works as it should, and not one single dropout or stutter.  So it works.  As an aside, some Devialet owners experience issues using the Devialet in "Roon Ready" mode, getting stuttering or an "audio file is loading slowly" error message when running 24/192 or 24/176.4 material.  I have this issue, but with the EtherRegen in place the issue is gone.  I think this is an unintended result of the fact that the EtherRegen runs 100BASE-T.  Another interesting quirk is that SOtM's firmware for the sMS-200Ultra has a 100BASE-T mode, which never worked for me when running HQPlayer.  By comparison, the 100BASE-T EtherRegen works fine with HQPlayer, in my case upsampling to 24/192, which is the maximum PCM input rate for the Devialet via AES/EBU.

Another point to note, is that I am powering the EtherRegen with a SOtM sPS-500 set to 7V.  Recently the sPS-500 has been sat on the shelf unused, so it the best thing I have for power at the moment.

Yesterday I had some free time to try some listening tests with the EtherRegen.  Previous to having the EtherRegen, my preferred set up was running a standard TP-Link switch, which then feeds my SOtM modified D-Link switch.  This is a set up that I found preferable to either the standard TP-Link switch or the SOtM modified switch on its own.  I only had about an hour spare yesterday, so I thought I would try the quick Ethernet cable swap method, to take the EtherRegen in and out of the chain. This method works surprisingly well, no need to worry about volume levelling, and the streaming set-up remained stable even swapping cables between the EtherRegen and the SOtM modified switch.  This test was a little inconclusive. I did have a slight feeling that things sounded better with the EtherRegen in place, but at the same time, it was not a big enough difference for me to be sure that I was not kidding myself. At this point I ran out of time yesterday, and other seasonal related tasks had to take precedence over further experimenting.

Reflecting on the above, it occurred to me that in a way the above test was not entirely fair. Consider that without the EtherRegen, I was running a standard switch, then a SOtM switch, which is effectively running off the Mutec Ref 10. So even without the EtherRegen I have a degree of noise isolation from the upstream kit, plus I am running switch with a decent clock signal.

This takes me to this morning. I thought I would try the following:

A) TP-Link switch, SOtM modified switch versus TP-Link switch, SOtM modified, EtherRegen
B) TP-Link switch versus TP-Link switch, EtherRegen

I chose the above over the more obvious comparison of simply substituting the TP-Link switch for the EtherRegen, because A and B above can be done with a single Ethernet cable swap, and furthermore, the EtherRegen is supposed to make everything before the switch irrelevant, so why should it care if the TP-Link switch is there or not.

Anyway, the conclusion is not far off the one I reached yesterday. Yes, I do feel that there is a very slight improvement from having either the SOtM modified switch or the EtherRegen in the chain, but the difference is very subtle indeed. Could it be imagined? I really am not sure, it is in that strange zone where you go from thinking yes, I can here something, then after a few swaps either way, you become less sure if it is real or imagined. If I have to come off the fence and commit, I would go with an improvement, but very small. What do I think I am hearing as an improvement? It is a sharpening of the sound stage, a touch more focus and resolution to the details, and a general feeling of things being more relaxed but more natural.

For now, I will be leaving the system as TP-Link switch, SOtM modified switch, EtherRegen. This seemed best to me. My overcomplicated system gets yet more complicated. One thing to try in the future will be to use the REF10 to provide the clock reference to the EtherRegen.

Whilst in the mood for confusing A/B swaps, I thought I would try the EtherRegen feeding the Devialet via Ethernet direct using its built in "Core Intelligence" board Roon RAAT mode, and compare to feeding the Devialet direct from the standard TP-Link switch. Curiously, or perhaps not curiously, the results were pretty much the same as when feeding my SOtM / Mutec kit. I could detect a small difference, but perhaps at the margins of what might be imagined. Same thing as before, the sound seemed a little more focused, tidier if you like, a fraction sharper with more resolution. 

So no jaws literally hitting the floor, but I think a very small improvement.  To provide a little context to all this, I actually preferred my system with the standard TP-Link switch to the old SOtM modified switch on its own, and the TP-Link switch is one that I used in the past for a comparison with an AQVOX switch, which I ultimately sent back for a refund, I just could not find any difference between the two. So this is very marginal stuff, at the edge of what might be messing with your mind, and I think my old TP-Link switch might be quite good for what it is, but I would take the EtherRegen over the AQVOX, and sit down and enjoy the music happy that the EtherRegen might just be adding that touch of polish to the sound.

The next step for me is to see how I find the system in normal use over time, then perhaps try feeding the EtherRegen with the REF10.

Sometimes these first impressions hold, sometimes other things become apparent in normal use with a range of music. Time will tell.

I do not want this post to sound too negative, I have a very complex front end, with a sMS-200Ultra Neo feeding a tX-USBultra feeding a Mutec MC3+USB, all fed from a Mutec REF10, so I already have lots of signal "cleaning" and "reclocking" going on, and yes, the improvement is marginal but I think it is there.  Unlike the AQVOX that went back for a refund, I'll be keeping the EtherRegen

Certainly agree with Alex on this.  Always strart clean and simple with as few items in the chain.  What you're doing, apart from the fact that you're not allowing the eR to stabilize for a few hundred hours in the system (more than burn-in actually thermally getting stable) is like putting a bunch of dudes in a police line-up with the lights really dimmed.  And a diagram with all details would be nice, including the wires (copper or fiber).

Steve Schaffer

18 minutes ago, alsterfan said:

Did I get you right and is it common knowledge that apart from burn-in and its influence on SQ there is also an impact on thermal stability?

Been my experience to date, at least with the eR, but have also found it true with other devices I've used, that removing power and then reconnecting power seems to have the effect of altering the workings of the device under test.  It just seems to take a bit of time, usually 1/2-1 hour to get everything stable again.  And that has an impact on SQ to one degree or another.  No clear idea why.

Steve Schaffer

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, xrqp said:

If etherregen makes networked audio sound as good as internal hard drive, I would buy it.  Can it do that if my ethernet cable, router, and switches are all typical cheap type? 

If, as you indicated, you're considering using Roon as your library manager for music, you'll need a Roon server to run the Roon Core.  Roon Core uses its own Ethernet based protocol (RAAT) which runs over a network (Ethernet wired or WiFi) to Roon Ready end-points, of which the Auralic Aries G2 is one.  So, ideally, the B side connection from the EtherREGEN would be wired to your Auralic.  The A side would support other Ethernet attached devices, including other Ethernet switches or routers (which have ports), or NAS devices, and, of course, whatever you use to run a Roon Core (Intel NUC or Roon's own Nucleus hardware).  How you choose to continue to utilize your remaining network gear is up to you. 

Personally, I'm using a USB attached hard drive to my Roon Core server as I found running a NAS in the same room as my audio system too noisy.  Found a WD drive sufficient in size to handle my library of music and so quiet I cannot hear it making a sound unless I'm a few inches away.

Steve Schaffer

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, FrankMA said:

I need to run this experiment again with a new Ghent I have on order in place of the Wireworld so I don't have to move the ER and can go back & forth more easily.

I too will be interested as I had found whenever mixing different brands of Ethernet cables the results were often poor.  Mixing WireWorld with AudioQuest was a particular mess, probably due to different design approaches.  Same happened when I initially experimented with the new Shunyata cables.  When I was able to use all Shunyata everything else paled in comparison.  This stuff is so unexpectedly complex in what gets delivered to our ears/brains 😱

Steve Schaffer

Sorry for my off-the-cuff 50x take on price.  Glad you were lucky enough to get one of the good clocks.  Personally, I'd only buy one that was literally guaranteed/certified to meet the specs claimed.  And I don't doubt that Mutec is a fine company.  If they offered a money back trial period I'd certainly bite on that.

Steve Schaffer

I'd be very surprised if any clock, that would make a substantial improvement to the existing performance of the eR, could be produced at a reasonable cost.  That is one for even 10x the price of the eR, with guaranteed performance spec.  Maybe a future eR Deluxe edition with even better internal clocking would make more sense, assuming there's enough of a market for such a unit.

Steve Schaffer

• 1 month later...

Great album, as are most of his albums.  His Solo Acoustic work is probably my favorite. 

Steve Schaffer