IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

To aid with listening impressions, may I suggest for those with Qobuz to do a before and after ER with the bass on "Come What May," and the bass and cello on "Ruby Tuesday," both from the Colvin & Earle album.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

6 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

It sounds as though Jud tried but abandoned using the optical port as the downstream one for sound quality reasons.  Is anyone else connecting a device through an SFP module and, if so, how are you feeling about the ER in that application?  I ask because I have an optical rendu now connected to the network with a Sonore optical module that I would switch to another system if the ER is an upgrade of the magnitude this thread suggests it is.

Upstream - Copper Ethernet from router feeding Cisco, then Cisco via optical to EtherREGEN. I liked copper Ethernet from router directly to EtherREGEN better. My speculation is that this was due to the Cisco's SMPS putting noise back into the wall and the system. Someone who owned a device with an optical Ethernet output that you could power from a good quality low electrical noise low leakage current power supply (LPS-1.2 for example) might have a very different experience.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

6 hours ago, stevebythebay said:

I’ve just begun listening to the same piece played by different pianists in solo just to capture their style and how the recordings were miked and engineered.  Already very revealing.

Yes, this is the sort of thing I feel the ER makes more possible, or easier, depending on where your system was before.

20 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

I guess you have to be on the other side to see the irony of this statement, Alex. What distinguishes scientific curiosity is the method of validating the proposed theories, not the invention of new ones. An 11th century court magician would say that the 21st century scientists lack "intellectual curiosity" since they refuse to try magic.

I'm available to respond to follow-ups on ASR, or on another general thread here, on AS since this is OT here.

Apologies for continuing the OT, and Alex may have to clean all this up or move it:

Paul, I think it was fair comment in this particular instance based on the quote that said it was unnecessary to inquire into the design or theory of operation or measure.

Whether a design is obvious snake oil (cables treated by “quantum tunneling;” “grounding boxes” filled with sand and rocks) or merits at least some evaluation is to some extent inevitably subjective. I put a theory that says there is a mechanism whereby upstream clocking can act on the DAC’s input circuitry in the speculative but perhaps not physically impossible category, and thus worth abeyance of hard conclusions until measurements are forthcoming or not.

A lot of moments of “Wow, what *is* this? Have I heard it before?”

I have Bring It On Home - The Soul Classics, by Aaron Neville. I always considered it a minor album of his, not especially well recorded. Rainy Night In Georgia from that album just finished playing, and I felt as if I were bathed in his voice. How wonderful.

4 hours ago, Ricardo007 said:

Hello Jud

It would be interesting to use etherregen after the 2 cisco switches and see how it compares with ER directly attached to router. Since some users report upstream still matters or even more

If the Ciscos were going to improve things, I think one with the optical Ethernet output to the ER should have done it. If one Cisco sounded worse due to adding its SMPS to the circuit, as I speculated, then two Ciscos ought to sound worse yet than that.

3 minutes ago, EVOLVIST said:

Are you saying that your system didn't ungodly real before? :)

In all seriousness, no. Things just have more impact, musical and emotional. And I don’t have the volume turned up - my wife’s in bed.

2 hours ago, Iving said:

Going back to listen after 24 hours cooking overnight, the first thing I noticed was a silkiness - then astonishing detail.

Something was not quite right - and I found that I had to re-"trial-and-error" my shunts to balance the sound again. What I am saying (in line with recent posts) is that the EtherREGEN seems to change the audiophile rulebook somewhat. I wouldn't have expected to have had to change shunts in my system accompanying inclusion of the ER.

Another unexpected finding: I think, but am not sure yet, that whereas, prior to ER, inclusion of a Cisco switch between my PC and RedNet D16 AES improved SQ, and I assumed that it would remain - as in PC > Cisco > ER > D16 AES > DAC, today I think I prefer SQ without the Cisco. The ER seems encumbered by it. It's as if the ER is unleashed when the Cisco is removed: PC > ER > D16 AES > DAC.

Confounded with trying out such permutations is cable use. I can't reconfigure my shielded AQs willy nilly. I am no longer convinced (as I assumed I would be) that these are better than "cheapos" and need to do more listening to be sure. Another rulebook question mark.

Another "anomaly" - I need less (pre-amp) volume to listen with satisfaction - but the system will sound correct at much higher (pre-amp) volumes than before.

I can imagine that "upstream factors matter less and downstream more" - and that our spending decisions will be affected accordingly. Another rulebook vagary. (omg did I find myself thinking about "hearing" my power amps)

I am listening to PC > ER > D16 AES > DAC now and the SQ is phenomenal. Deep, open, clean, detailed. I was impressed immediately as I posted yesterday. Today better. When I have finished trying things out, and the ER is more or less fully roasted, I'm sure I shall be very happy and just want to listen to music a great deal more.

This is one hell of an audiophile bang-for-buck. Am I the first to be brave enough to suggest that the EtherREGEN is significantly under-priced? (Easy for me to say being a first batch beneficiary 🙂)

I agree right down the line with everything you've said here.

16 minutes ago, MikePid said:

My expectations are so high now that unless I can see the beads of sweat on the faces during live performances and the colors of the clothes of the musicians on the holograms in my listening room, I’ll certainly be disappointed with the ER 😉🤣

Odd you should mention that, because I literally find myself picturing vocalists, for instance, much more frequently now! 😀

1 hour ago, Iving said:

No tweaking for a while.

Yep, that’s how I feel too.

More stuff to listen to with the ER:

Sean Rowe, The Drive, from the album Madman. 

Leonard Cohen, Old Ideas, especially Amen, where the bass is a physical thing.

Edit: And you might also try Juniper Arms, from Adam Torres’ Pearls to Swine album.