IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

10 minutes ago, Urs said:

My system as seen from the etherREGEN:
- upstream (A-side): all music is stored locally on Synology NAS, roon core on sonicTransporter i7, connected with good quality (though nothing special) CAT6a or CAT7 cables to a Cisco SG300-20-20 Gigabit managed switch

- downstream (B-side): Cardas Clear ethernet cable --> dCS Vivaldi stack (latest software) --> AR Ref 6 --> Pass 250.8 --> Magico S3 Mk2 (with SPODs)

Did you try to remove the Cisco?

If yes, what was the outcome?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

11 hours ago, flkin said:

Ok here it goes, something most here wouldn’t like to hear, but it’s my observation in my system. 

Over a listening period of 2 months and many different configurations of power supplies, external clocking and Ethernet cables, I’m going to conclude that the EtherRegen isn’t for me. 

Yes, the information retrieval is great and so is the imaging and bass control but I’m unable to reduce the harder and treble-centric sound to a level I’m happy with. My initial impression after a week of breaking in was very positive in line with what most here have found - many positive attributes especially improvements to the speed and control of the music but with lengthy listening sessions, I’m experiencing fatigue due to the harder treble.

After 2 months, I returned to direct from router to my Pink Faun 2.16x and immediately found relief - like an old comfortable sofa. Bliss and more connection with the music and singers. More emotion and more pulls on my heart strings. For me this matters most, not the analysis of the sound but the emotions imparted. 

I’ll keep my EtherRegen as it’s an intriguing device and hope to find a way to incorporate it in the future but in my current setup, it’s not staying in the system. 

For reference my signal path is:

Orbi satilite -> dCBL-CAT7 -> iso-Cat6-> dCBL-CAT7 -> PF2.16x

(the dcblcat7,isocat6,dcblcat7 is a SOtM cable)

Added the EtherRegen between the Orbi and the PF. 

Tried: A-B, B-A on the EtherRegen, different power supplies for the Orbi and EtherRegen, external OCXO clock and without, different Ethernet cables with different lengths before and after the EtherRegen, metal and plastic Ethernet heads, different cable conduit wrappings with mu-metals, different DC cables, external earthing the EtherRegen or not. 

Thanks for sharing.

It is interesting that Emile from Taiko Audio also disliked the ER when configured A-B or B-A.

He found the ER best sounding when everything was connected to the A-side.

Did you try this configuration?

BTW, send you PM.

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)