IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

Hi all,

I have moved from an Aqvox SE to the Etherregen which is a BIG step up in SQ. Another noticable update is using my REF10 as external clock reference. I'm also using a TP-Link optical transmission from my router to the Etherregen which is also sounding better than cable.

From the Etherregen B-Side I'm using an Aqvox Excel Ethernet cable (0.5m) to my Devialet amp.

Now I have replaced the original SMPS with an ifi iPower X 9V which is another small upgrade in SQ.

Now I have 3 places for a possible update: replace the TP-Link optical module with a Sonore optical module, replace the ifi iPower X with a Farad 3 or upgrade the Aqvox Ethernet cable with something else.

Has someone any experience what makes most sense here ? Maybe some of you have also tried and compared the ifi with the Farad.

thanks,

Bernd

57 minutes ago, Johnnydev said:

I just can't imagine ifi ipower sounds better than uptone SMPS

it is the new iPower X, but the difference is indeed very small (compared to what the ER is doing). But if you read through all discussions regarding PS for the Etherregen there is no final conclusion if any PS is better. Some say Keces P3 or P8 is better, some say the original SMPS is better than these, some say the Farad 3 is the best, some others are not sure if it is really better or more different.

If the differences via different PS are so minor then I will skip this option and stick with the ifi.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using the TP-Link 220L media converter directly into the ER which is working fine. This will be replaced with the Sonore optical module in the next days.

It could be beneficial if you can place the first media converter directly near the switch and replace 50ft copper cable with the fiber connection.

Replacing the TP-Link and the first FMP with the Cisco as proposed by R1200CL is also a good idea.