IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

I've had my ER for two weeks and it really makes a very significant difference though I am also hearing that it has not quite settled in yet. So I will wait another week or two before commenting. It is safe to say though that it will not be coming out or being sent back to Uptone. The SQ gains are across the board. In the mean time, I'm learning about power supplies, cables, etc.

(put my system in my profile but it is not displaying; not sure why.)

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

@jcn3

Thanks, I didn't realize it was under settings. Had put it in a different area. All good now.

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

• 2 weeks later...

@Superdad Alex,

I meant to put a note in my review about the proximity of the ER to my server but forgot. I may try that at some point, but it does run pretty warm as you are aware and having it in a different room allows me to put it in an area where it can breath well. I do admit I'm curious to see if it is even better behind my rack close to the server. -I'm also thinking JS-2 where the ER is now and the second rail could power my router.

Pinback are a band that kind of rescued me. I hadn't had any real break throughs in new genre's in a long time and stumbled on them probably a decade ago - I was late to the party but for me it is a good one. I can say they are one of my favorite bands for sure. If you look into them more, just start at the beginning and work your way forward. You will be rewarded. Most of their stuff is on Tidal.

Charley and Dorie helped me flesh out my thoughts and get things in the right order. Chuck is a very good friend for sure.

@austinpop Your answer above is insightful and a bit hilarious. BTW, I was referring to you and others I've been learning from since I made my way to AS.

20 hours ago, austinpop said:

Thanks! I was just being silly. It’s happy hour here in the US. 😉

Yes, it was a bit silly! But we sure can use more of that right now.

• 2 weeks later...

You can see my review on Page 33. The ER makes a substantial improvement in an otherwise resolving system. I still enjoy sitting down and hearing such a massive improvement brought by the ER. I can literally listen all day.

So, yesterday, for whatever reason I forget, I turned the volume down on my preamp to below 10. Seems as I recall that before the ER that below 10 there was little or no sound, as in music, coming through, or barely audible. Now the music comes through down to nearly 1 on the preamp. I don't have the technical expertise to explain this but to say that the ER removed so much noise the music is now apparent. BTW, fiber was just installed in my neighborhood in the last year and I have 300 mbs service.

The ER works so good, I'm now thinking about the JS-2. I'd like to run my router (ATT-supplied BGW210) and my ER with it. I'm not sure if this a go or a no-no.

• 2 months later...

@Ponkbutler

Nice review. Thanks for sharing.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MichaelHiFi said:

Received my ER yesterday. Plugged her in and via a CAT6 of no remarkable quality but straight from my router to the "A" side of the ER. The B side used another unremarkable CAT6 to my microrendue which inputs to a Lindemann Musicbook DSD 25. Roon core resides in Sonore Small Green computer. It is/was a very fine sounding digital system. 

Listening through the ER I had little expectation other than noting late last year, ears I trusted described more than subtle improvements in SQ, so I ordered one. What I heard was not what I expected. I sat in my seat and said "huh". Hard to describe. Clarity, color, space and decay. All were improved. But the bass. WTF. Bass was already stellar coming from the 11" Eaton woofers hidden inside the lower cabinets of the Ushers, but this was something different. Again, hard to describe but the bass was fuller yet tighter and more defined. It pressurized the room. Just as interesting was that I was listening at volume  ~50. I listen loud. My wife listens louder. 50 is loud but not that loud in our system. Music was flowing. I was really pleased, then decided hey, I can turn this up louder, so I did. Louder until I hit 80. That's concert level folks and what blew me away is that that was no breakup, no harshness just an image of the band as I was playing "Over now" by Alice in Chains. I was laughing hysterically. Moving to different Genres, it was more of the same. Greater insight into the recordings, better spacial cues and the bass...

My wife came home from work so I asked her to have a listen. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. She wanted to hear Sarah Brightman's "Angel". Not my favorite recording for sure but behind the ER the recording was somehow different. Clean with the smeary, woolly bass removed and yet deeper and more resolved. She just sat back with her eyes closed and was transported into the music. I could go on but only having a day of listening it's not really fair to access what I'm hearing objectively. But I'm loving what I'm hearing. 

From what I've read, the ER needs breaking in. Most everything in the Audio equipment world does. But this is what I'm hearing from a unit with just a handful of hours on it!!!

I ordered some Supra CAT8 cables as my dealer friend noted a definite improvement as others to had noted with these almost affordable cables. I may have jumped the gun. These cables have a great deal of shielding built in to them. Reading the ER manual, I noted that shielded CATX's can bring eddy currents with them through the RJ45 shell.

I may have to "operate" on these cables at least on the "A" side to severe the shields. Nuts. Anyone with experience with these cables? Should post this as a separate topic, I know.

Thanks!

I too hear the same type of significant improvements. I'd say that my ER took more than 3 weeks to fully burn in and settle, but it was surprisingly very good 10 minutes out of the box.

I use Supra 8+ and it is much better than the Monoprice Cat5e I was using before. I also have the Cable Matters 8 and am waiting for them to finally burn in. The Supra 8+ took around 4 weeks to burn in/settle, but I really like them. The CM8 was initially, even after four days, mechanical and non-musical. Lately it seems pretty musical. But I'll know when I compare to the Supra 8+. Hoping to do that this weekend.

I think my next step is to power the ER with an LPSU like an SR4T or Farad3. And will look into the clock mentioned above. Price on that is under $100.

Please update us as your ER burns in. Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...
So, you may remember that several have mentioned that having the ER closer to the source is supposedly the best place for it to be. As it has been in a different room for months, I finally got to experiment last Monday. A friend and I tested, with the same Ethernet wire (three cables - 2, 1M Supra 8+, and 1 Monoprice Cat5e - it is the cable out of the router). The only difference is the placement of the ER - either in the audio room or the other room where its been for months. In this other room, it is about 2' from the router.

Since my friend and I only did this test one time, with one song, I knew I needed to test more to make up my mind.

So, I decided to perform the following test - start with the ER in the audio room since that is where it was at. Both tests used the same four songs though today I added a fifth song. They are in order:

Eerie Wanda - Pet Town
Matt Lange - Testarosa
Lambchop - Everything for you
Carey Bell - It's so easy to love you
Royksopp - The Alcholic

Round 1, play songs - take notes. Round two, switch ER to old master. Round three, switch ER back to audio rack.

Surprisingly I heard the same thing both days only more so on the second day. With the ER in the audio room, I heard overall more resolution, which yielded more convincing tones, timber, and I found it more engaging. There was more air, better bass control, especially on the Matt Lange track, and instruments that sounded more real or natural. I also noticed better defined separation, a more snappy and real snare sound on several tracks, 3D soundstage (wide, tall, good depth). There is just a more linear, balanced, natural cadence to the music with the ER just a 3' section of Supra 8+ away from the Aurender N10. Cymbals also had that very natural sound and decay and that tinkly sound cymbals make, not a "sssshh" sound. Vocals on the few tracks with them were also very natural with excellent timber and believableness. I also found myself more relaxed and wrote "lovin' it!" on one track. Truthfully it was on all tracks I was lovin' it. Though the ER being in the other room did seem to have better bass on some tracks with perhaps more texture, it was not as natural and was even ever so slightly boomy (not good). And I also observed that when the ER is in the other room, some instruments or frequencies almost seem louder; ER closer to the source seemed to yield more linear sound.

As you may remember when I first reviewed the ER back some months, having the ER in the other room is better strategically for me as I've got room for it and an upgraded linear power supply (to come) and there is more open space for the ER to vent the heat, but the ER just sounds better closer to the server. So I'll have to figure that out next since I'd like to put a second power conditioner where the ER is currently in the audio rack. So, I, like some others, have found that the ER being very near the source is a plus. I also believe Alex said the same thing.

I had planned to purchase a JS-2 if the ER stayed in the other room. I'd have used the other output on my router. But because I am going to leave the ER in my audio rack, I'm will most likely go with a Paul Hynes SR4T because I only need one output. I do wish that Alex and John would make a single rail power supply that didn't use a wall wart to power it. Also, Alex did mention somewhere about building the ER in a larger enclosure and including an upgraded LPS. That'd be sweet! I'd buy one for sure.

• 4 months later...

Loving my ER very much, especially with the recent Paul Hynes SR4T LPS added.

Congrats Alex & John.

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

Congratulations @JohnSwensonand @Superdad!!

ditto!

Natural sound that can now fully rival an analog setup - now that is praise. I know I wouldn't be without my ER.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Just as long as they don't start making the fiber optic cables with soy-based plastics.  We have a major problem with pack-rats around our rural home and they have already disabled two of our vehicles. >:( Auto makers use soy-based wire insulation and component plastics and the rats love to eat that stuff! 

Sounds like you need a few rat traps in the engine bay!

Super stoked for you on the continued demand for the ER. I just love mine with a PHynes SR4T power supply.

• 1 year later...
26 minutes ago, TimF said:

I own an Er and have done for some time. Is powered by Sean Jacobs DC3. Can’t hear any improvements with it in. Maybe v2 will be better. 

I have the ER with Paul Hynes SR4T and it makes a huge improvement for me. I totally get that you have your own experience, but it seems that maybe you are the outlier as most report a fairly decent uptick in SQ with the ER and even more once a quality LPS is added. I couldn't live without the ER+SR4T!

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Indeed.

Thankfully, the Sonore opticalModule Deluxe (redesigned with parts more readily available) should be available again within about 2 months;

And at UpTone we are making good progress on EtherREGEN Gen2--with a number of internal technical improvements as well as Gigabit capability on the 'B' port. Have already invested about $30K in chosen chips for production--so that we do not get skunked once we are through design/test/beta and ready to produce boards.

:)

This is good and interesting news!